Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how a 7m block and head *should* look

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  how a 7m block and head *should* look Wed, 24 September 2003 12:29 Go to next message
everyone always asks WHY its necessary to machine both the head AND block when you do a HG on a 7m - answer: because as i recently found out, 20year old blocks have a tendancy to settle quite significantly, and my block deck had over 8thou of deck irregularities in it before machining. front to back, side to side, sways and hollows all over the place - wholly irregular, plus the corrosion around the necks of the water galleries id quite bad, and can significantly reduce the space between gllery and bore.

heres some beautiful pics of what machining should look like - damn thing is a mirror!!

cheers
ed

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/toymods/photo6.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/toymods/photo12.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2003 14:39]

Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look (big files) Wed, 24 September 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FFS Ed...I have sent you PS7! Stop dropping these ridiculous hints! Very Happy

PS...I'll send you the resized versions of the above.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look (big files) Wed, 24 September 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F*ck, learn to scale your pictures son!. Twisted Evil

Nice machining, where's the o-rings? Razz

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look (big files) Wed, 24 September 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope your still going to lap that surface Ed those remaining mechine marks go nicely from bore to water jacket Sad and your runing a metal gasket?

your going studs and the dowel pins are a tight fit on the gasket so no need for "bite" in the surface (make shure your dowel holes in the head are still deep enough seeing that you have taken lots off)

Allan
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look (big files) Wed, 24 September 2003 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 23:53

I hope your still going to lap that surface Ed those remaining mechine marks go nicely from bore to water jacket Sad and your runing a metal gasket?

your going studs and the dowel pins are a tight fit on the gasket so no need for "bite" in the surface (make shure your dowel holes in the head are still deep enough seeing that you have taken lots off)

Allan

Lapping the head/block is a wank, it's an American thing due to them obviously having trouble finding a machinist who can perform the right machine finish.

I know of 2 people who run MHG's on their 7m's and neither block or head was 'lapped'.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look (big files) Wed, 24 September 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's pretty fine machining Al....it's just that Ed won't lower himself to using MSPaint to reduce the image size so that the bores don't look to be 200 mm in diameter.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look (big files) Wed, 24 September 2003 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i look at it this way why risk it for a couple of hours work!

Im shure ed has spent more time on his cam covers! Very Happy

Allan
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Wed, 24 September 2003 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funny thing is allan, you havent even SEEN my cam covers Razz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Wed, 24 September 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes but i have my spys....
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Wed, 24 September 2003 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my experience when I was grinding telescope mirrors, it is quite hard to lap a perfectly flat surface on a glass sheet. It's OK for thermostat housings and the like, but I don't think I'd risk it with a head. The presumption is that the glass sheet remains perfectly flat whilst 30+ kg of head is being vigorously rubbed back and forth over it. I can't see that happening!
If the head gasket were to blow, you would have NO comeback. The machinist would have no trouble seeing the lapping and wipe his hands of the matter.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Wed, 24 September 2003 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those are lovely ed... makes me wish I had my block machined when i did the metal head gasket installation *cringes*

I feel like my car is a time bomb Sad

Dan
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 00:55

From my experience when I was grinding telescope mirrors, it is quite hard to lap a perfectly flat surface on a glass sheet. It's OK for thermostat housings and the like, but I don't think I'd risk it with a head. The presumption is that the glass sheet remains perfectly flat whilst 30+ kg of head is being vigorously rubbed back and forth over it. I can't see that happening!
If the head gasket were to blow, you would have NO comeback. The machinist would have no trouble seeing the lapping and wipe his hands of the matter.

Thats why its done with a thick bit of glass ON TOP of the head,

And like you have any comeback anyway, will just say it was put together wrong if it was or was not how can you prove anything.

Allan

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've seen his cam covers.. and they look pretty damn plain to me!

They are also taking up valuable 18R real estate Razz
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure the focus should be on Eds cam covers but rather Ed's timing cover........... ohh dear.... Razz Evil or Very Mad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eds timing cover is just fine! Twisted Evil
1 bloody sticker, and the world burns you alive...

karl - think you should see the 'other' cam covers i have at home Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 12:28

eds timing cover is just fine! Twisted Evil
1 bloody sticker, and the world burns you alive...

Well what kind of sicko puts a "Jesus cares" sticker on there timing cover really!

Allan

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 09:33]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan, IIRC from my telescope making days, the glass thickness needs to be at least one sixth the diameter in order to prevent significant distortion (remember we are talking thousandths of an inch and less here). Glass is also not particularly thermally stable so Pyrex is preferred. So, by my reckoning, we are looking at a Pyrex blank that is around 700 x 400 x 120 mm in order to adequately lap this 7M head such that you can be confident that the lapping tool is not introducing imperfections in the surface (I'll ignore the whole technique thing which is probably more important). I can assure you that you can blow a head gasket a month for the next year for the price of that sucker.
I'm not sure what trip Reg Reimer was on when he wrote that.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is all very interseting, real hands on stuff!!!
but...im like a 2y.o when it comes to this sort of professionalism.

someone mind explaining a coupla things

1. why is it necessary to lap the head/block - hasnt it been machined down to less than 1 thou total distortion.
ive replaced HG's and not even checked the block and theyve held up fine - not a high perf engine tho.

2. how is the lapping operation actually achieved - and what has glass got to do with it?

sand shoe hairy crotch..

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 09:23]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris, whether you need to lap the head at all on a 7M is open to debate. Certainly we have all taken heads from other motors to the machinist had them skimmed and just bolted them on with no other grief. Heck, in my student days I'll confess to just cleaning the surfaces and bolting the head on without any machining (with no probs, although I wouldn't recommend this).

This issue arises with the finicky 7M and its propensity to blow head gaskets. People have looked at a range of things including head bolt tension, head bolt construction, surface irregularities and the head gasket itself. A certain finish is required when using a MHG, ideally quite smooth. Often the machine shops leave quite a 'rough' finish to provide some 'bite' with the fibrous head gaskets, but this is thought to cause problems with a MHG. Therefore it has been recommended that the head be lapped. Of course, you could take your head to a good machinist that understands these things and they will machine the head so that it looks like a mirror (very fine cuts like Ed's).

A glass sheet is traditionally used for lapping. It is poured as a liquid and therefore should form a perfectly flat surface (of course we all know it is extruded nowadays so it is subject to its own imperfections). The premise is that by using one perfectly flat surface, you should be able to make another using some abrasive. That is correct and wrong, as with differing techniques one can make a flat surface OR a spherical surface (definitely not the desired result!).

I can recommend Crankshaft Rebuilders in Nunawading - they did a beautiful job on my head.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so, lapping like this is bad??

Rolling Eyes

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/7mge/images/pistondomes/lapping.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/7mge/images/pistondomes/after.jpg
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edit

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 13:40]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, but would you lap your head? Confused
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 23:36

No, but would you lap your head? Confused

no, but would you lap my head? Confused
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 23:46

no, but would you lap my head? Confused

Mum, the strange man is offering me lollies.....
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how a 7m block and head *should* look Thu, 25 September 2003 14:04 Go to previous message
Crazy non turbo people....

Allan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:puttin uni filters on 20V quad throttle bodies
Next Topic:1GGTE Fuel Pump relay....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 02:13:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063831806182861 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.