Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ Still breaking down under boost

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 24 September 2003 14:04 Go to next message
keep breaking own when the map sensor hits around 4 volts @ about 0.75 bar of boost my AF ratio is at 12:1 almost all the way accross....now going nuts Shocked
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 24 September 2003 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"breaking down" ?
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 24 September 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
almost feels like the comp is making the engine missfire or boost cut its driving me nuts
seeks
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 24 September 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gday,

I'm really no expert but just having a bit of a guess, have you checked for error codes stored in the ecu at all ? i know that some toyota ecu's can just retard the performance when certain sensors are not giving correct read outs. Does the engine check light come on when you feel this 'break down' ?

The engine isn't hitting some sort of boost cut is it ? or the ecu isn't getting an invalid boost reading or something ? i've seen a similar thing happen in a gt mr2, almost like a fuel cut off.

Anyway, even if i'm way off hopefully I've helped in some way Smile

Catcha,
Seeks.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 24 September 2003 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my check engine light is always on Shocked error code its giving is "You idiot! Engine is in wrong car!!!" Very Happy hehehe i'm seriously thinking of hooking it up to a diag machine now....im thinking either the map sensor is stuffed of it coils else i'll take the thing to a scrap yard and get it crushed Twisted Evil
seeks
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 24 September 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx83toy wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 09:51

my check engine light is always on Shocked error code its giving is "You idiot! Engine is in wrong car!!!" Very Happy hehehe i'm seriously thinking of hooking it up to a diag machine now....im thinking either the map sensor is stuffed of it coils else i'll take the thing to a scrap yard and get it crushed Twisted Evil

Heheh, well a diag machine might be the go. As far as the "you idiot! Engine is in the wrong car!!!" goes, hehehe, the ECU doesn't have a clue what car the engine is in. As long as you have the right ECU with the right engine, the engine check light shouldn't be throwing errors at you, should it ?

I got hold of a diag machine to check my 20v why the engine light kept blipping on to be safe, it said it was due to me not having an o2 sensor reading. Which made sense considering i hadn't got my hands on one yet Smile

Catcha,
Seeks.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool! i'll hook her up soon
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look at the spark plugs is the heat range to hot???? ummm also the sparl plugs and also change the coil that may help.
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem for alittle while, would come and go. I've put it down to bad fuel. Try some octane booster in your tank.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
found the prob it was my map signal to the comp.... thanks all
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon9.gif  Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed Mad It wasn't the prob!!!! Confused
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you hooked up a check light?? If not do so.
bridge the connections TE1 & E1(someone correct me if it isn't thos ones) in the diag box and watch the check light when you turn the key on.

The diagnostic codes are the same for all toyota engines.
My 1JZ had a similar problem to yours and it spat out the code 31 (3 flashes then 1 flash of the check light), found an old 1GGE engine manual, fault code 31, air flow signal, must be the MAP sensor on the 1JZ, replaced it, happy camper!!
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

do you happen to have a boost cut defender connected to the MAP signal wires? If you do then remove it and see if that fixes the problem. I have known at least 5 other guys who have experienced the same problem you describe and in each case it turned out to be a faulty BCD.

If not, check the ower supply to the igniter. IJ igniters are marginal at best and they especially don't like even slight voltage drops. As an experiment you might like to run a power wire direct from the battery to the igniter. Also, if the plugs are now fouled (for whatever reason) it's a good idea to pop in a new set.

While it's possible to have a faulty MAP sensor it's very rare. It's more likely to be one the things above.

Grant

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 21:57]

HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Thu, 25 September 2003 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This sounds like plugs. The 1JZ exhibits these exact symptoms when you have fouled plugs... and they dont even have to be that bad. It sounds too obvious but its normally the cause.

Have you checked them?
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 29 September 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the same problem, but i know its because im using plugs that are too hot for the engine. Im using NGK heat range 8, and i think i should be using a 6
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 29 September 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heat range 8 are colder than 6 with NGK plugs.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 29 September 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are using platinum or iridium plugs pull them out and scrap them , Put in a set of DENSO K20PR-U and give that a go .

Trevor
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 29 September 2003 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BKR6E or BKR7E
8 is probably a bit much
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Wed, 01 October 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had the same problem.... i put in some BKR5E's
works a dream now Smile

do u get alot of unburnt fuel come out on boost?
has to be under load though... so maybe get someone to drive behind u

Pete
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 06 October 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if this is the same thing or not, but i had a problem about a year ago that no one was able to really help me with.

Any time the boost is raised above about 9psi the engine cuts out and one of the lights comes up on the dash (cant remember which light it is so i'll let you know the next time it happens)
From memory i put in NGK BKR7E. Heaps of unburnt fuel too. Any ideas?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2003 05:23]

SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 06 October 2003 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plugs were too cold...

try 6E's or 5E's
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Still breaking down under boost Mon, 06 October 2003 06:15 Go to previous message
well if its running really rich and the boost cut is comming in too early i'd say your prob is the map sensor
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:IG-GTE's performance
Next Topic:efi conversion for 18rg
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 12:35:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063490867614746 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.