Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon9.gif  AutoCAD help Fri, 26 September 2003 14:13 Go to next message
Hi, I've been doing CAD for a few semesters now at Uni and have been fooling around at home 3D modelling stuff like my alloy wheels. I however, have absolutely no idea how to 3D model a screw thread. I had done the wheel a few weeks ago and have now moved onto doing the hub and brake calipers. The thread on the studs seems to be impossible with AutoCAD 2000! Anyone know more than me? Please, it's driving me nuts. Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Sat, 27 September 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoCAD 2000 is not the best to be using for this if you can get your hands on a copy of 2003 the guys at autodesk have refined the program quite a bit and it is easier to use.
I generally only use 2000LT and it cant do proper 3D modeling which is a pain in the ass for me.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AutoCAD help Sat, 27 September 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suspected that maybe I had reached the limitations of AutoCAD's 3D features however, because bolts are so integral in every machine and product I thought there must be a way to draw one.

Also, the "regen" feature doesn't seem to work in 3D mode. My wheel looks like some kind of polygon. Is this maybe because it's a ripped version?? It never crashes so it couldn't be too bad a rip. Sad
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Sat, 27 September 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you make the wheel with a solid or did you do two circles and offset one because of the fact that autocad draws in lines and not in curves.
Try setting your surftabs to a higher number so that it appears to be a curve and not a polygon.
For regen try pressing either re or F4
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Sat, 27 September 2003 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man i wish i could use autocad. tried it at tafe and it had me beat. i do, however, know how to use archicad and i've made heaps of cool crap. i dont know how to post pics up on toymods so i guess i cant back up my words.
well if by chance anyone is doing an architecture related course and needs help with archicad then i'll be happy to help.
good luck with autocad simdog.

-charlee
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The way I drew the wheel was by drawing a 2D outer profile of the rim part... Revolve it around the centre axis. Then for the spokes, divided 360deg into 5 and drew one spoke within that angle... I then polar arrayed it 5 times around the centre axis. I used the subtract feature to make some nice cutouts... and then FILLETED THE FUCK OUT OF IT! Evil or Very Mad

I'd be happy to post the pics if someone could inform me how to. It is quite a large file. Smile
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG
What are your surftabs set at?

Strober
AutoCAD isnt that hard to use once you get the basics its pretty easy Microstation is better for architectual work than AutoCAD. Its really what your use to stick with it. Good luck you should try and learn some of the basics of AutoCAD because its almost industry standard now. What course were you doing at TAFE?

[Updated on: Sun, 28 September 2003 08:43]

strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i supposed to have finished architectural technology certificate 4 and diploma but one of the lecturers misplaced my work.
autocad is big in the industry and has been the software of choice for many years, so i think if you're going to use autocad then you better be really good at it.
i'll take your advice and stick with archicad. i can almost fabricate anything in 3d.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SURFTABS? Please explain how I do this check... I have never heard of this command and it doesn't seem to be in the Help index.
kc_347
Occasional Poster

May 2003

Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi...
I've been using AutoCAD almost everday for about 2.5 years & it is very limited when it comes to 3D drawings.....
I'm a full time drartsman & I use it for 2D drawings & its great for that but not the 3D thing I haven't tried yet....
If you need any help in the 2D department give me a call
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What type of screw thread? Tapered or self tapping?
Good luck if it's self tap they're a bastard.

I think Jason means Autocad 2002 (not 2003).

As for the polygon looking shapes:
under the tools pulldown
under options
in the display tap there is the setting for arc smoothness etc.
the higher the number the smoother the circles, note that this will slow down regen times if it's too high.

As for a thread I don't do alot in 3D but I'll sus out some mates of mine and see if I can find out some ideas. Smile
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Sun, 28 September 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry it is 2002 that i was talking about.

Surftab1 and surftab2 are commands for 3d objects they set the amount of lines in the shape, to check what they are set at type
surftab1 and hit the spacebar it will tell you what they are set at set them at a higher value and draw the object again
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AutoCAD help Mon, 29 September 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my AutoCAD copy is rooted... It is doing some wierd shit! The commands I type are being written over the options in the command line instead of after them. Ah well that just leaves the screw thread question. Confused
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Mon, 29 September 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok since this topic is getting pretty ok responses from people of various cad backgrounds i have an interest in seeing some work like custom library parts, 3d renderings etc... anything purdy.
would this be possible?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Mon, 29 September 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this what your after it is a sample that is included with 2000LT

try this

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pbf0bf dd691ed035b424f7ed248b00371/faf42193.jpg.orig.jpg[/url]

[Updated on: Wed, 01 October 2003 07:11]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AutoCAD help Tue, 30 September 2003 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have my 3D wheel that I am happy to show people but I don't know how to upload it.
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Tue, 30 September 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually i wanted to see your projects
but that train car is an example of really good drafting. really good.
yeah i cant post pics on toymods like on other forums... i think you need to host them on the web or sumthing...
me being super computer illiterate i cant help
jason, its a big ask but can you host a pic or two for us? i just want to see what work you guys have done on cad
it's awrite if its too much to ask, meee's understand
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Wed, 01 October 2003 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simdog take a screen shot of your wheel and send it to me if you dont know how to do it then hold down the ALT key and press the Print scrn button at the same time then press Ctrl V in paint and email it to me at jax_fulto@yahoo.com.au
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Wed, 01 October 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just don't save it as a bmp from paint. We had a client that took a screengrab of a problem with one of their websites once and turned it into a bmp in paint then emailed it. 1.5mb later... and that's when we only had dialup, and with about 5 or 6 people using the internet off it Razz
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: AutoCAD help Wed, 01 October 2003 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 or 2 turned out to be 5 or 6, sorry!
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Thu, 02 October 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i noticed Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon5.gif  Re: AutoCAD help Thu, 02 October 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you get my E-mail Jason? I sent you the screen shots.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: AutoCAD help Thu, 02 October 2003 23:29 Go to previous message
Yes i did i just need a little bit time because work is a bit busy Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Going to die *groans*
Next Topic:What the hell sort of mind?...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 19:36:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055251121520996 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.