Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Electro Charger?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sjsaman
Occasional Poster

September 2003
icon2.gif  Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 04:21 Go to next message
I was just thinking about turboing (at low boost) a NA car and ways of getting the same result without having to replace the manifold for a measly 4psi.
So I thought why not just have a regular electric motor powered of the battery or directly of the alternator to create a bit of compression. Maybe just use the smallest super charger available with the pully system connected to a regular electric motor rather than the driveshaft. Youd probably need some sort of power limmiter conected to the rpm measurment so that the amoun of air being compressed was relative to the engines use.

Well this is my first post and im assuming there are hindred reasons why this is a stupid idea.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are indeed many reasons why this won't work, but the biggest problem is getting enough juice to run the electric motor, which would have to be HUGE to develop any meaningful amount of boost. A conventional alternator certainly can't deliver the hundreds (or possibly thousands) or amps required.

It's not uncommon for conventional superchargers to consume upwards of 100hp from the crank, so we're not talking trivial amounts of power here!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nos so stoopid an idea. there are electric driven SC's but i have only sent he centrifugal ones like the Vortech? type ones...

when ya think about it, 1.2kw of power for an electric motor is not much, but at 12V is 100Amps.

since you are only after low boost (or effectively reducing the intakes vacuum) it may not take that much power to drive it, but 1kw is still a lot of amps. i am sure there are electric supercharges on the market.... do a google search for electric supercharger

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_visteon_eyes_elec tric/
this one is interesting....

it could or can work, but as Visteon says, only for small displacement motors......

Cya, Stewart
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was a big stink kicked up about this months ago, regarding an electric motor to blow some air onto a turbo to get it spooling earlier, and reduce lag.
if you do a search for that, most of the problems were brought up there
sjsaman
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well im talking about a 1.6 4age - so really it aint going to need huge amounts of air for just 3 or 4 ps. The 100hp figure is probbably also producing alot more compression and for a much bigger engine than what im talking about. My original idea of hooking up a motor to a supercharger does seem impossable but if i could custom build one wiht light materials i think its doable.

That eRam on http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ sounds like a fan to make the engine breathe better rather than actually packing air in.
sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont u just buy a 4agze? or just the super charger setup off it and run it at a lower boost
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electro Charger? Tue, 30 September 2003 12:31 Go to previous message
Trust me, even 3 or 4 psi into a 4A requires a bucketload of power. Not 100hp of course, but several orders of magnitude more than your car's electrical system can provide. Even if you only need a 5hp motor to develop the boost you need, do you have any idea how big a 5hp electric motor is?

A simple belt-driven supercharger is smaller, lighter, cheaper, more efficient and more reliable. I guess that explains why no-one has made a serious attempt at developing an electric supercharger. Smile

PS yes I have seen the silly eRam thing mentioned above (and several devices like it), but they aren't even worth a mention.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cam Chain Cover
Next Topic:TA63 Carina and TA23..... do parts exchange ?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 05:07:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042641162872314 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.