Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
20valve69corona
Regular

May 2002
Can I Turbo a 20valve Tue, 30 September 2003 10:36 Go to next message
Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody's knows if you can put a turbo on a 20v.

If it can be done and you have any info that can help can you please forward it onto me.

Cheers

Will
  Send a private message to this user    
suthol
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Tue, 30 September 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will,

It has been done, a club member down Oak Flats way put one in his Lotus 7 replica.

He has now gone to an new NA motor and I believe has the conversion bits for sale, follow the link below.

http://www.clubmandrivers.com/exchange_and_mart.ht m

toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Tue, 30 September 2003 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, anything can be turbo'd. but at what cost. aparently, from reading bill sherwoods page, the 20v head will bolt onto the 4agze's bottom end. but then the vvt is disabled. im unsure as to wether or not it could be modded to work. to keep the vvt you would have to use the standard block and use blower pistons, i dont know if the ones from a 4agze would be a straight bolt in, or you could buy after market or custom jobs from the likes of aries pistons etc...

for turbo manifolds, just do a web search 4age turbo manifold, you get the picture.

if your a road racer, i'd go the 20v with a medium turbo, and pistons, but if you like drags more, go the 4agze route, check out ?4agze gearbox handle 350hp? toyboy. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 01 October 2003 18:02]

toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Wed, 01 October 2003 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile i found on bill sheerwoods page that the 20v and 4agze bottom ends are running the same crank and rods. the block is also of equal strength, the pistons from the ze should be a straight bolt in, and given that the heads are of a non interference type and the pistons aparently dished, there should be no dramas. just watch compression ratios with the different head piston combo. you would be better to run the sivertop 20v as it has closed chamber heads which are less prone to detonation, especialy under boost.you might have to run a copper head gasget of apropriate thickness to get the compression right. or a decompression plate if this wont work. these are suggestions and you should carefully do you own research. Very Happy

toyboy

[Updated on: Wed, 01 October 2003 19:44]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Wed, 01 October 2003 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u use the 20v head and ze pistons the motor will no longer be a 20v but a 16v.... LOL the pistions have a specail cut out for the 5th valve each cyl.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Thu, 02 October 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if u use the 20v head and ze pistons the motor will no longer be a 20v but a 16v.... LOL the pistions have a specail cut out for the 5th valve each cyl.

bugger. I thought this might be the case. Looks like I'll be porting the 16V head after all.
Mr 20Valve
Regular

May 2002
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Thu, 02 October 2003 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ZE pistons are dished... arent they? they dont have valve cutouts.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Thu, 02 October 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine are 8.9:1 compression (MAP sensor GZE) pistons, they are slightly dished, but still have small valve reliefs.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Thu, 02 October 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samantha Rigoli's corolla was a turbo 20v, used make around 500hp at the wheels, and was a daily driver with the boost down
i say do it they work a treat!!

Dale
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Thu, 02 October 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was a 4agze block on the rigoli car.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Thu, 02 October 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep. Definately no 10.5:1 pistons in the Rigoli car! Its not a good recipe unless you plan to run ELF fuel or equivalent.
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Tue, 07 October 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile yes, the pistons do have valve reliefs cut into them, but why?
remember, this is a non interference head, so the cutouts only come into use when you break the cam timing belt, so that the pistons dont bend the valves when the timing is out of whack, but when the timing is normal you won't have a problem if im not mistaken. if i am mistaken Shocked , somebody please reply. Very Happy
using these pistons should only damadge the valves if the timing belt should break.

thanx, toyboy.

toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Can I Turbo a 20valve Tue, 07 October 2003 12:39 Go to previous message
Rolling Eyes just thinking about how to retain the quad throttle bodies of the 20v engine while running a turbo. anyone done this or know where to get a plenum / how to manufactue one etc... toyboy. Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 drum to disc. Some1 plz explain the dramas about the emergency brake and what has to be done.
Next Topic:Update on the 3SGE to Sprinter page
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:33:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055098533630371 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.