Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sat, 20 July 2002 08:04 Go to next message
I'm considering a 4AGZE for a swap in my car, and need some tech info.

What compression do they run?

diameter of throttle body?

what cars did the RWD models come out in?

are they strong enough to reliably turbo with factory internals?

what gearbox options do I have?

Is the dip in the sump in the front?

do they use top feed bosch injectors like a 2TG?

what should I expect to pay for a motor?

Thanks in advance

Phil

[Updated on: Sat, 20 July 2002 08:05]

Send a private message to this user    
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sat, 20 July 2002 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Phil, I can only answer a few of your questions but hey, anything helps..

Compression: AFM = 8.0:1
MAP Sensored = 8.9:1

The only car the 4agze came which powered the rear wheels was the AW11 MR2, but that of course is an MR car... so I'm not sure of the setup. All other 4agze's were FWD

They (map sensored at least) are pretty strong internally, 14psi daily is fine from what I've been told. Not very clued up on the older AFM version...

As for the cost, a bare motor will probably set you back about 850 or so, and half cuts go from around 1850-3000, all depends on who and where you get them from....

Hope some of this helps you, I'm sure someone who's done a RWD conversion will be able to help you more, the information is out there though.

-Andrew

[Updated on: Sat, 20 July 2002 10:35]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sat, 20 July 2002 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so for RWD i will need a 4AC sprinter box or something?

what sort of ignition system do they run? are they all distributor, or are some direct fire?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sat, 20 July 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What compression do they run?
8 in the aw11 ones, 8.9 in ae92/101

diameter of throttle body?
60mm (i think!)

what cars did the RWD models come out in?
aw11 - this is cross engine RWD though, mounted the same as FWD

are they strong enough to reliably turbo with factory internals?
yup, how much grunt you aiming for?

what gearbox options do I have?
RWD? T50 (sprinter box) or W box

Is the dip in the sump in the front?
Yeah, same as every other A engine

do they use top feed bosch injectors like a 2TG?
Yeah, 365cc

what should I expect to pay for a motor?
I paid $650 for mine without the blower

Ignition, aw11 and earlier ae92 ones use a dizzy, the later ones use double ended coils and a simple reluctor crank angle sensor
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sat, 20 July 2002 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, cool, now i'm getting more of an idea.

I'm aiming for around 160kw at the wheels.

which 4AG's have a RWD intake manifold (forward facing throttle body) with the right size to match the small port 4AGZE head?

any idea if the DLI ignition crank angle sensor can be used with aftermarket computer (Haltech)??

what water pump/thermostat can be used to get rid of all the shit on the back of the motor?

cheers
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AAaarrgghhh... I typed out a nice long reply, and as you'd expect, my computer went the way of the goldfish before I sent it... I'll see if I can remember some of the stuff.

First, I made a mistake previously - the actualy throttle blade on 4agze is closer to 50mm, not 60. It's tiny!

160kw at the wheels is quite doable, I'm hoping to get me a little bit more than that once I replace a few bits and pieces.

Small port RWD manifold doesn't exist - you'll have to chop up a normal 100kw manifold instead. Mine cost me $100 for the manifold, and $60 for the welding etc. (becuase I wanted to get a few other things done at the same time)

The later haltech's will take it alright, because they've got a 'reluctor adapter' (thing that converts sine wave to square) on board, whereas the earlier ones (like mine) do no. Instead of buying the 'reluctor adapter', I got a custom hall effect trigger made to fit in place of the standard one, works well.

I used the standard pump/thermostat on mine, because the blower is now gone there was plenty of room to cut the pipe that runs down the side of the engine and put the normal GZE thermostat housing straight on the end of it. I also welded up a bracket to mount the alternator there, as it was smack in the way of the swaybar on the other side down low.

Another suggestion I'd give is not to use a t50 box if you intend to enjoy your creation with any force. Sometime this week I've got to replace mine with a W box, as I ripped all the teeth off 2nd gear, and that was without really trying either (e.g. slicks/drop the clutch), just putting my foot down and *crunch*. To its credit, I drove it home from sydney to melbourne like that, and have driven it for a couple of weeks since, and its still going...
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're a legend!

Chopping up the FWD manifold is no drama, so i guess thats the way ill have to go. while i'm at it ill probably put a holden 60mm throttle body on it with idle control.

I've got a haltech E6K, i'll have to read the manual to see if it does have a reluctor adapter.

are you talking about the GZE remote thermostat that you stuck on the end of the pipe?

what sort of 'W' series box has a 4A bellhousing? do you need to buy a custom kit?

this sounds like its going to be fun......

whats the redline on a GZE by the way?

PHil
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A legend? Hey, I'm not dead YET Evil or Very Mad

I actually suggested using the holden throttle body in my first attempt at writing my last post, but that disappeared into the invisible-nothing that is my PC. Damn fool thing Skull - Mad

Far as I know, the e6k DOES have the reluctor adaptor on board, so you might be lucky

Yeah, I shoved the GZE remote thermostat (from the top of the gearbox) on the end of the pipe coming from the water pump, and pointed the pipe out to the side towards the radiator.

No factory toyota A engine had a W box unfortunately. Therefore you do need something custom. From what I understand, there are a couple available. I'm using the dellows one, simply because it's cheap(er) and more available than imported ones, although no doubt someone can suggest something else!

As for redline, I've got mine set at 8000, but really its up to you. Its either 7250 or 7500 stock (cant quite remember!), how far you take it is really a matter of how long you want it to last. What turbo you use will largely dictate how far there is any point revving it to anyway.

What turbo did you have in mind? Also, manifold, what did you have in mind there?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a highflowed CT26 (TO4B 'V' trim) and will make a custom manifold.

how do you tell a map sensored GZE from an airflow meter GZE if its just a short motor?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Highflowed CT26, might be able to aim a bit higher than 160rwkw then. Let us know how you go!

As for which motors which, well you've got to look for stuff like dates on the plug leads, whether it has an oil pressure switch or gauge, and more importantly if it's got DFI or distributor ignition, and (as a rule) small/big port head.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course I want more than 160kw, that's just a starting point on 'low' boost! Rolling

is yours on the road?

Phil
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And again:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/Engine.html
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Sun, 21 July 2002 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yah, mine goes - never mind the busted gearbox! Thats why i said use the W box and a decent clutch, f'gawds sake Freak
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Mon, 22 July 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can confirm the E6K its running my GZE. the TPS has been removed and an idle speed motor from i cant remember what is being adapted to the throttle which will be controlled by the E6K.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Mon, 22 July 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excellent. do you use the factory Cam Angle sensor with the E6K, or is yours a distributor GZE?

I'm trying to figure if the E6K can interface ok with the toyota cam angle sensor.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Mon, 22 July 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its map sensored so uses the crank angle sensor.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Thu, 25 July 2002 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So. where are these year of manufacture stamps on the ignition leads? On the leads themselves, or down on the side of the spark plug boots?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: wanted: Info on 4AGZE's Fri, 26 July 2002 15:10 Go to previous message
Thanks for the link MWP!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE in Corolla?
Next Topic:AE86 vs TA22 front struts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 04:23:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055570602416992 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.