Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 01:21 Go to next message
Question: Can a front wheel drive Celica ST162 be converted into a four wheel drive? a sort of a GT4 imitation.
My plan is to get a 3S-GTE, hopefully a ST205, if so it should bolt directly on the engine mounts (tell me if different from ST185), but I want to take it a step further if I going to get a GT4 engine, why not use it to my advantage and make a 4WD. Right
Any help be great, Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't see why not. But it might be cheaper just to get an ST165 and up grade that engine.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this question's been coming up a lot lately.
do a search, and you'll find general opinion is you'd be better off buying an st165
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if all u want is to convert it to 4WD i have a spare GT4 box off a half-cut that i want to get rid of.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't the floor-pans and chassis of the 162 and 165 TOTALLY different? The ST162 was never designed to house a drive-shaft and a rear diff...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fairly sure that's right nath - hence the large expense of the conversion
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
honestly i haven't ever looked at the differences in the floor pan of a 165 and a 162 next to each other. But i'm sure with enuff mods it can be done.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats the problem I thought would arise, but I don't want to buy a ST165, I spent to much time with my ST162 and it's starting to look really neat, the thing is that it's now beginning to be slightly RiceSpec, which is not good.
I also want to have the uniqueness of having a ST162 that's completely different, something that will flip some people out, you know. That's the reasoning behind my 4WD concept.

Sorry Draza, can't buy the box, in fact I can't really buy anything until I have the money and information.
I'm going to save up about 5 grand or so and then my decisions will start to be made.
At the moment I'm researching as much as I can before I start any work, so ANYTHING you can tell me wouldb be most appreciated.

I'm pretty new on some of this so I will need as much help as possible, I know the basics, but I want to know alot more so I can undertake this project. Firstly about the 3S-GTE
Thanks
sorry about the life story
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 to 4WD Mon, 06 October 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either upgrade to a st165 or 185 - if you want 4wd - or be happy with a front wheel drove st162 .. putting 4wd in your 162 would be a very costly and very time consuming process - PLUS you would hasve to do a hell of a lot of custom fabricating to fit the gt4 rear end in + the hassle of finding a rear end !

personally - youd LOVE a st165 over a 162 if its not turboed already - and seeing you can pick them up now for less than 10K for a very neat one - i see why not just upgrade to the gt4 and have all the proper gear there + all the good stuff like the brakes already in ..

By the time you buy a 3sgte - convert it over to 162 - have it off the road for X weeks while being converted - get a decent exhaust system made up AND get decent tyres and brakes to keep it on the road, you could have sold your 162 for say 6 ish grand ( if its neat - you CAN get his figure ) saved up the extra 3K for the cost of the front cut - and had a Gt4 in the garage with about 1K to spare on starting to modify it ..

SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Tue, 07 October 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm this sounds good. I'll save up my money, but until then I'll do some research and get some advice.
My Choices Are:
1. Fit 3s-gte into ST162
2. Sell Celica and find Supra MkII or MkIII and fit in 1JZ or 2JZ (Though I've heard Old Supras run into alot of problems, and the difficulty/cost/time of fitting an engine and modifing. Though someone who owns one can tell me different)
3. Classique's suggestion of ST165
OR
4. 180SX Drift Pig

[Updated on: Tue, 07 October 2003 05:38]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Tue, 07 October 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have the 3sgte st162, so don't do that.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 to 4WD Tue, 07 October 2003 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask norbie on the dollars figure of 2jzgte into a ma61 , or draven for the 1J swap ..

every drift bogan owns a 180 or a silvia ? good cars - but do you want the tarnishing of the same brush ?

Re ST165 - for bang for bucks - this is by far the cheapest option of all of the three - and factory fitted ! bONUS
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Wed, 08 October 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd have to agree and go the ST165, iv seen them for sale for $8,000
Phrozen_Death
Regular

October 2002
Re: ST162 to 4WD Wed, 08 October 2003 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is one in cars for sale but i think he wants somthing like 11k for it
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 to 4WD Wed, 08 October 2003 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say go the ST165...not enough of them on australian roads at the moment!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ST162 to 4WD Wed, 08 October 2003 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an MA61 + 1jz conversion is probably going to set you back around $4-5k for the ma61 (depending on how lucky you are and how long you shop)
the rest of the conversion - you're looking at around $7k if you do all the work yourself.
since you say you're a bit of a newbie, I'd recommend taking it to a shop unless you have knowledgeable friends.
taking it to a shop means $$$
and if you're going to spend those $$$, I'd just do a 2j conversion, since the only thing that costs more is the half cut - all other costs are the same.

structually the ma61 is a perfect candidate for a conversion. pretty tough diff, pretty tough gbox, decent brakes, relatively light. only issue with it is rust - but if you shop around they can be found with almost none.

if you want a cheap thrashing car, a 180sx is the go. they're nothing special tho - everyone has one.

I'm sure there's a lot more that should be said, but I'm too fried to really think of it Smile if you want more info on a 1j/2j ma61, e-mail norbie or jaze. or me Smile
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Thu, 09 October 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers boys!
My only problem with the ST165 is that it doesn't offer enough power compared to the other generations of the 3s-gte, Draza what gen have you got in yours? I've also seen a ST162 on http://www.fullboost.com.au/cars/featurecars/2002/ celica_george.html with a ST185 (now being sold) running mid 13's, he got all his work done at a workshop around my area, but it's now closed down, though I've got a few friends that know what they're doing and work in other workshops.

But I've been thinking slightly and I know that the 3s-gte swap is going to be the cheapest option, so if I do it, I'm going to try get my hands on either the ST185 or ST205, I'm probably going to keep the car anyways, so once that's done I'll get the Supra and then I'll have 2 cars, but that will be in a few years time. I know it sounds optimistic, but thats a good thing, right.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 to 4WD Thu, 09 October 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is from an ST185 so thats a gen II. Mine doesn't look quite as neat a that one, but thats cos i only just got the conversion done. I say in 2 years once i have had some time to work on my car it will look that good.
Just remember that u will need more gip than simple 195's, they seem to spin too easily.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST162 to 4WD Thu, 09 October 2003 03:00 Go to previous message
If you want the newer engine but the older car, I'd suggest buy the ST165, flog off the engine to someone else, they're have to be someone who'd want to put it into their Camry, MR2, etc,; & buy a GenIV 3S-GTE from a Caldina.
From the info I've gathered, they're built even better than the GenIII from ST205.
This way, don't have to screw around with the body, although...
After research into my car, which is generally the same as the Celica in the running gear, FWD to 4WD is basically a bolt in.
Parts that require changing:
Fuel tank
Engine crossmembers
weld in bracket for centre tailshaft bearing
weld in 2 captive nuts in the rear suspension
gearbox (obviously)
But this is only because I KNOW I can get matching parts from wreckers (my car is only 7 years old)
The ST165 rear suspension may be unique to that model, so possibly difficult to find.
The other factor in buying a genuine ST165 is that it is a genuine & should theoretically hold it higher value than a modded ST162
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket seats for AE86
Next Topic:AFM wiring?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 19:19:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065670013427734 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.