Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MX83 Suspension.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
binny
Regular

March 2003
MX83 Suspension. Mon, 06 October 2003 06:06 Go to next message
Hi Fellow cressy owning legends!! I have the cash saved up to do some suspension mods to the barge, I mean cressy.
After wasting my Friday visiting various suspension places in Newcastle, I am no more the wiser as to what I should fit. They all just tried to sell me a set of Monroe shockies and nothing else.

Anyway i wish to improve the steering response and handling without making the ride too harsh. I was thinking of Fitting thicker swaybars and new bushes but have only been able to find a thicker rear bar. There don't seem to be any aftermarket bushes or front swaybars available.

So, I'm thinking about fitting some lowered king springs and Monroe gt gas shocks and the rear bar.
Anyone else fitted these?
What have you other owners done to your suspension and how much difference did it make?

Cheers
Binny
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 06 October 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I can't offer any advice binny, but I'm also interested in hearing people's experiences with Cressida suspension setups..

I'm looking at buying one at the moment, which is lowered quite a bit and has 17" wheels.. What sort of lowering/tyre sizes have people found they can get away with before having problems with scrubbing/bottoming out?

Cheers,
Paul.
stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 06 October 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tyres:
Std - 15x6 with 50mm offset, 205/60/15 front and rear

I have run :-
Mk3 Supra 16x7 - 37mm offset and 225/50/16 all round
Mk3 Supra 16x7 - 37mm offset and 205/55/16 front 225/50/16 rear
Mk4 Supra 16x8 - 50mm offset and 225/50/16 front 16x9 - 50mm offset 245/50/16 rear
Aftermarket 18x8 45mm offset - 235/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear
Aftermarket 17x7.5 42mm offset - 225/45/17 all round

The Mk4 fronts were the only ones to cause clearance problems, unless your car has ABS and then the ABS unit in the front right guard needs to be moved forward about 10mm.

Suspension:

Pedders or kings springs are ok, there is no need for thicker sway bars unless you like massive oversteer.

Bilstein make excellent strut inserts and shocks for the MX83.

Decent shocks and springs and a good set of performance tyres will do wonders for the cressidas handling without knocking out your fillings Smile
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 06 October 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely don't want oversteer. Just got rid of that problem by ditching the totally crap kellys(in 205/65 the previous owner was a moron)and fitting some potenza gIII's.
I'll have a look into the Bilstein's and some lowered king springs. Don't mind spending a bit extra to get it done right the 1st time.
Thanks for the info Smile

P.S. ANy idea roughly what the bilsteins are worth so i know whether they are trying to rip me off?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2003 10:09]

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 06 October 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea about the bilsteins,
but im running KYB Gas-A-Just in mine with kings springs lowered 2.5". Its firm, but handles like a dream.
The KYB's were ~$800 installed.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2003 11:03]

binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: MX83 Suspension. Tue, 07 October 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ended up ordering a set of KYB shocks and 30mm lower King Springs. Should sweeten it up while still having an ok ride hopefully. Can't wait to fit them on the weekend and try them out.
BTW Steve - good work on the website. I was wondering if you have done any other mods to the engine beside the exhaust and whether they made any worthwhile improvement(exhaust included).
A conversion is way beyond my budget so I was thinking of getting a larger exhaust, replacement filter and fitting a piggyback chip like a unichip and get it all properly set up on the dyno. Anyone else done something like this??

Cheers
Binny

[Updated on: Tue, 07 October 2003 09:47]

stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: MX83 Suspension. Tue, 07 October 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Binny

P.S. if anyone wants to email me some photos and a short write up of their car, I'm quite happy to put it up on the site.
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: MX83 Suspension. Sun, 12 October 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought I'd add a follow up to this thread seen as i started it. I fitted 30mm lowered King Springs and KYB shocks to the cressy after work on Thursday and I'm very happy with the results. The lowering is very subtle (photo attached)but does look better than stock, Im guessing it will settle a bit more as the springs and shocks bed in over the next couple of weeks. The handling is a crapload better than stock and feels like a completely different car and the ride is still very good, which was important to me as the car is used as a family car. Overall, I'm very happy with the results and reccommend this method to anyone who wants to improve the handling of their cressy with out sacrificing ride too much.

See atached photo
http://home.kooee.com.au/brettandjodie/cressy.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 12 October 2003 03:14]

_CzR_
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 24 January 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to revive an old thread, but do you guys know if I can fit

235/45/17 on 17x7 or 17x8 with the standard 50mm offset, on the Cressida MX83, without the front shock fouling (I've had a look and it seem a tight squeeze)

Cheers
Cezar
stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 24 January 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17x7 will fit but need to be at least 45mm offset
_CzR_
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: MX83 Suspension. Mon, 24 January 2005 14:29 Go to previous message
Thanks Steve,

And I don't think 5mm should effect the geometry too much Smile

I might still go with 225/45 if they are the same price as 235/45 (235/45/17 are quite cheap as they are standard Commodore and Falcon fare)

Cheers
Cezar

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 14:30]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ-GTE info
Next Topic:Help me 4AGE conking out!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:57:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045809745788574 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar