Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine Upgrade for Celica Help?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 00:25 Go to next message
Hey Guys, i have a 72' TA22 and am in desperated need of a power upgrade. The 2T... she is dead! I was after some advice on different engines that i could put in it?

If anyone has performed different conversions and has some advice on how hard it was and how much it would cost, then i would be greatful. Very Happy

I was thinking of trying to get a 2TG (carb) and rebuild it, as this would be fairly easy to put in, i assume. (same mounts, gearbox, etc). But people tell me that the 3TGTE and 4A varients have much more power.
Any advice would be great. Thanks, Sean.

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2T-G is a bolt-in conversion so it's by far the easiest. You have to decide for yourself if 120hp is sufficient though. The 4A-GE has a little more power but IMO not enough to justify the extra effort. Your other options are 3T-GTE and 4A-GZE, but both of these require a fair amount of extra effort. Personally I'd prefer the 3T-GTE option, but since these are so hard to find these days the 4A-GZE is probably the more sensible option.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sean

i'm in the middle (actually about 75% done) of a 4AG transplant to my 73 ta22. its something of a headache...but, enjoying the challenge i think.

a 2TG is a bolt in proposition.

a 3TGTEU is a bolt in with a mod required to the passenger side engine mount.

the 4AGE, well new mounts, different gearbox, themo fan, new tailshaft, move radiator inlets and outlets, alternator brackets, the list goes on and on...
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grega did you use the TA22 radiator or use a different one? if different what was it? just starting to collect parts and start doing mine.

cheers
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Mon, 06 October 2003 18:18

a 3TGTEU is a bolt in with a mod required to the passenger side engine mount.

That's a little misleading... sure it will physically bolt in with little effort, but you have to do a whole lot of other stuff to make it actually run (eg fuel system). The 2T-G by comparison requires very little screwing around - the only major thing I can remember is the throttle linkage.
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks heaps mate, i might try to get my hands on a 2TG and then start saving for something with a bit more power.
Thanks again, Sean.

If anyone knows of any 2TG's for sale that would help alot.
How much do they usually go for? (Smiley $$?

Thanks Guys, Sean.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2003 15:00]

juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya sean, i have a 88260 2tg motor with any carbs you can have for $150
justin
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Mon, 06 October 2003 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie is right - the 3T will bolt in but there is a heap of other work you need to do, like EFI, fueling, ect. thx norbie Smile

roadrunner, i had my original TA22 radiator stripped, the core replaced with a 3 core setup and the inlet/outlet moved to the opposite ends....with a 90 degree bend on the top one.

Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Engine Upgrade for Celica Help? Tue, 07 October 2003 10:24 Go to previous message
Thanks heaps Justin! sounds good. do you mean that there are no carbs on it? Will i need any other bits to replace the 2T? (eg i think the throttle linkage is different, isnt it?)
I will come and pick it up if thats the easiest way? (Do you think it will fit in the back of a hyundai Lantra Sportwagon?... Confused hope so...). i will email you.
Thanks, Sean.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Update on the 3SGE to Sprinter page
Next Topic:Celica GT4 Underbonnet temps
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 02:50:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072970390319824 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.