Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4agze pistons into a 4age block.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tris
Regular

September 2002
4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 02 October 2003 01:10 Go to next message
I would like to know if you can put standard 4agze pistons straight into a standard 4age block. Are they the same size or not?
  Send a private message to this user    
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 02 October 2003 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, same size, as long as you don't put them into a Bluetop as they have different size gugeon pins. otherwise, will fit
FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 02 October 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y bother just get forgies wouldnt bother with ze pistons plus how hard would it b to get just a ze block? not worth the trouble. ZE pistons arnt forged anyways some ppl say semi forged wtf is that cant have a semi forged pistion from what i have been told.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 02 October 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y bother? because they are cheap ($340 set of 4), come in two compression ratio options, and are damn strong thats why.

But if wasting money is your preference, go ahead and spend $1k+ on a set of forgies.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 02 October 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, late model GZE pistons are forged and ceramic coated. And indeed they do cost a megre $390 a set! From Toyota.
In future check your sources' reliability before preaching please.

Also, please post with grammer Flynsx, im having problems reading your posts a lot of the time!

EDIT: spelling, whoops

[Updated on: Thu, 02 October 2003 08:50]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 02 October 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak FLYNSX, next time you can get your hands on a gze piston, turn it upside down and have a look at the finish.

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Mon, 06 October 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got myself a set of late model gze pistons, man they look nice....
Ive got a bigport but its the 7rib block, so from what ive heard it should have the bigger gugeon pin.
Im planning on turboing so my question is how do the other internals compare eg. crank and con-rods?
FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Mon, 06 October 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer well iam doing a turbo conversion at the end of the yr with my ze engine with a 20v head. I tell you what i wont b using ze pistons in it that for sure you get what you pay for. So any1 that wants mine can have them for free one catch have to drive to newcastle to get them.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Mon, 06 October 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha Laughing

Make sure you get the full Motec exhaust too Rolling Eyes

You must have mucho $$$
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Mon, 06 October 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well from the kind of power ive seen pumped out of the gze with standard pistons I think ill be happy with them Smile
tin can
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Mon, 06 October 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flynsx do u think u well be going to jamboree next year
just asking coz i need someone to challenge

good luck with conversion
jess
FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Tue, 07 October 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yer i will b there with bells ringing. Autosalon mid may Sydney autosalon i should have the car there on the dyno riping some good figures.
-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Tue, 07 October 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dan... if i said i wanted those pistons.. you could just give em to craig for me.. and then i wouldnt even have to drive to newy.. oh and wtf is with the newy business anyways..???
u gettin rx engineering to do it??? or have u moved back there again??

WITZL QUIT YA WHINGIN.. IF U WANT GRAMMER GO TO BACK TO HIGH SCHOOL AND DO ENGLISH AGAIN... IF U HAVENT NOTICED THIS IS A CAR FORUM NOT A CORRECT ENGLISH FORUM..
OH AND I THOUGHT THE WHOLE PERSONAL PAYOUTS THING WAS NOT SMILED UPON ON THIS FORUM.. BUT U TIME AND TIME AGAIN SEEM TO BE PAYIN OUT ON DANIEL(FLYNSX) MAN.. IF U HAVE A GRUDGE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF OR EXPRESS IT IN PERSON

[Updated on: Tue, 07 October 2003 08:44]

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Tue, 07 October 2003 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FLYNSX wrote on Mon, 06 October 2003 21:35

I tell you what i wont b using ze pistons in it that for sure you get what you pay for.

I gotta say buddy, this is pretty naive. I believe the correct saying should be, "You get what Toyota pays for".

Think about it, Toyota would've put a few million dollars into developping the 4AGZE, designing and manufacturing an engine to meet or surpass one of the principal design briefs of the modern automobile - reliability in all conditions.

And for you to dismiss them as not up to the task after the mass of development, engineering and manufacturing by teams qualified sientisis/engineers shows either a true lack of understanding or just plain naievity.

Sure a set of aftermarket pistons may be just as good or maybe better, but why dismiss Toyota genuine ones so easily?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Tue, 07 October 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well stated rex.

Blown20V - you have a PM. In future please use that feature if you wish to blast off at people.
FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Wed, 08 October 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the type of boost that iam going to run i know for a fact that the ze pistions wont hold up. My mate did a turbo conversion on his ZE and blew it sky hi on 17 pounds of boost. Not saying ze pistons r bad just saying not strong enuff for what i want to do. The engine has been a sik ass motor and coped a flogging from me, over the past 3 yrs the ZE bottom end ant going to hold up to 20 psi of boost that iam going to b running.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Wed, 08 October 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i beg to differ actually... you would be rather suprised at how little boost ppl manage to break forged pistons, hell even without boost!!

what kill spistons is poor tuning and detonation. you may also be surprised to hear the a boosted motor is actually 'softer' on pistons than an NA motor, even tho it has higher forces involved.

it all depends on how you build it, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how it is tuned... ppl have known for years that this is so... go and read "Smokey Yunicks Power Secrets". yes it is about old heavy V8's, but heavy V8's that pull 8000rpm all day pushing 6-700hp Smile

he has a few things to say about ppl whinging about breaking ring lands 'cos the pistons are not strong enough' Wink

i think if you took the forged, ceramic coated GZE piston and an aftermarket forged piston and got it ceramic coated, AND you built and tuned the motor correctly for the combustion pressures you are expecting, that you will break other things long before you break the pistons...

anyhoo, a few things to think about Smile

hey, i'll send ya postage money if you send me the GZE pistons so i can have snazzy paper weights Very Happy (seriously!!) oh, and i'd like to cut one up to see what the coating is like in an electron microscope Razz

Cya, Stewart

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Wed, 08 October 2003 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

what kills pistons is poor tuning and detonation

Hear hear. Tune the thing properly, and I cant see you breaking factory 4AGZE pistons, unless you use a novice approach Smile Anything is breakable with detonation, even your most expensive aftermarket forgies. But again, if you have the cash to spend, and need that little bit extra tolerance for detonation, go ahead and purchase the flash pistons.....

[Updated on: Wed, 08 October 2003 14:07]

jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Wed, 08 October 2003 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's an example of what sort of boost you can run with the early 8.0:1 GZE pistons... This guys running 30psi with them, its all about the tune...
http://www.turbocorolla.com/cars/hanw.asp
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stewart,

i too would be VERY interested with your findings if you were to inspect a GZE piston!
It certainly would dispell any myths and rumours about the type of piston they really are.

sprinter_turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

I have a standard blue top 4age and a mate of mine gave me the crank-rods-pistons out of a standard 4agze, the pistons are forged, you can see the diffrent finishes. i was woundering if the whole lot would fit straight into the 4age??

thank you

dale...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

OMG that 4AG is insane!!! wonder how bad the lag is... but then agin, who cares! just a touch of nitrous to get it going Wink (if it's only 75 shot, it prolly is for that) how clean is that install!!

THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 09 October 2003 11:00

stewart,
i too would be VERY interested with your findings if you were to inspect a GZE piston!
It certainly would dispell any myths and rumours about the type of piston they really are.

well, since i have 24hr access to metallographic equipment and electron microscopes, how about someone send me a broken GZE piston and i'll have a serious look at it..

i would probably cut it in half, see what the cross section thicknesses are,
polish and macro etch to see grain size (if it truly is forged, you will see the grains 'flow' around the piston)
dig some trenches with an FIB (focussed ion beam miller) to see the structure and thickness of the ceramic coating,
and maybe do some chemical analysis, see what is in the alloy and what ceramic they use for the coating (could do XRD for this too Wink )

just don't tell my supervisor what i'm doing Razz

Cya, Stewart

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and i forgot, microhardness testing as well.....
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's some info gathered from the Toyspeed forums,
Quote:

4AGZE late AE92 & AE101

pistons- hyperteutic & ceramic coated
(better than cast, not a true forge system)
-beware tho! a proper forged piston was introduced before the
runout of ZE engines (very late 101)

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FLYNSX wrote on Wed, 08 October 2003 22:14

My mate did a turbo conversion on his ZE and blew it sky hi on 17 pounds of boost..

FLYNSX, can you get those busted ZE pistons from your friend for me to look at?? it will be worth the effort Smile. i can tell you beyond doubt if they were forged or not. you'll even get pretty pictures Very Happy
pm me.
Cya, Stewart
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, at $80 a piston, why don't we just buy a new one?
I'd put in $20 to see a new one chopped up & inspected, any one else keen enough to put in?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good idea Big Worm....
it's pretty cheap to find out what's what... esp since i'll waive my normal consulting charges Cool ($300-400/hr) heh heh Very Happy
-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm just a little query point... umm doesnt adam(i think thats his name) from haltech runnin 21 psi through his gze with a hi-flowed ct26 use stock gze internals im pretty sure he was the blue sprinter at the dyno day that made 207kw??? at the wheels.. anyone correct me if i'm wrong.. but im pretty sure thats the story

[Updated on: Thu, 09 October 2003 08:02]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i have a 8.0:1 gze piston with some chunks missing.
i would gladly donate it to research. Very Happy

you would do a full write-up on your findings?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll donate $20 to the fund also stewart, just so we can get a brand new late model GZE piston to analyse.

FeralMR2 - donate please Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Thu, 09 October 2003 18:45

Freak i have a 8.0:1 gze piston with some chunks missing.
i would gladly donate it to research. Very Happy
you would do a full write-up on your findings?

coooool Very Happy
definitely. proper report style. pictures, results etc..... can't do this soprt of thing half-assed.. might get a bit big tho, i might end up making it into pdf's to get the picture size down.... i reckon i could make a CD with high res pics for the contributors Smile
i'm going to have a practice go with a piston i have and then see how it goes...
Cya, Stewart
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 02 October 2003 16:37

Dude, late model GZE pistons are forged and ceramic coated. And indeed they do cost a megre $390 a set! From Toyota.

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone in the know has any idea how long Toyota will keep supplying these pistons in Australia at these prices? Hopefully..forever Smile
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...until the supply in Japan runs out
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze pistons into a 4age block. Thu, 09 October 2003 21:36 Go to previous message
and when 4a-gze motors are becoming less common in Japan, i think chances are good Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:can i fit a 20v into a first gen celica?
Next Topic:4WD chaser??? 2jz chaser
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:48:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071010589599609 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.