Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sat, 28 June 2003 09:04 Go to next message
http://www.geocities.com/mrdohc2000

this is my GEN III 1979 RT104 i bought in december '02
i "transplanted" {bolted in} an 18RGU twin cam in feb '03

i finally got it on the road in april '03

i had to rebuild the engine and carbs before it'd work, so far i have had 5500k of trouble free flogging {except for the axle tramp and dead alternator last week}

note: need 5 speed, 3600 rpm at 100k is not cool

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:40]

Send a private message to this user    
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Love that stock look Smile
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love the sleeper appeal of the corona, if you had a mk2 it would be the WTF is that appeal.

looks pretty clean, ohh and once things start breaking it never ends until they are all replaced ie: my battery died got a new one my alternator died got that recond my starter motor died got a recond one, then my coil fkd up so i got a new one i thought i might as well get the voltage regualtor while im at it then the ballast resistor on top of the coil fkd up got a new one.

then i thought right nothing can go wroung now went to start my car the other day and my engines dropped 2 cylinders and its making a very bad grinding noise (valve springs/maybe rocker arm)

so it starts again. Crying or Very Sad
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a Mark II i'm thinking of playing with, my parents have had it since new.

Gonna try and inject the current 4m motor as it has just been recoed. Got to do some research however, i know toyota made a 4m-e motor, not sure if the manifold can be fitted straight on though.

Assuming i could get one Smile
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hijack your thread but we are all corona lovers (not in a gay way Laughing ).

With the 4m you can go efi from a 5m but there is a bit of fcking around, Ive had my 4m rebuilt put extractors onit had the head/manifold ported put a holley on it and it goes hard, but i still want more power its good for a while depends how hard you drive it.
saying that it keeps up/beats your average commonwhore or falcoon and they always have the WTF is that when i rip em a new a hole of the lights. Laughing

check it out

http://xdesign.com.au/coronamk2/engine-small.jpg

= sig<
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a relief, i can take my arse off the wall now Smile

Engine bay looks tidy Smile

I've always been keen on doing a 1uz-fe conversion to her one day, assuming it's possible. So i might try the EFI, i've already done a couple of EFI conversions so i think i'll be okay. Bit tighter on boot space afterwoods though, but unlike my wagon at least there is a good spot to stick the surge tank Smile
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, sorry about hijacking the thread as well. But hey coronas are cool, and in my opinion underated Smile

hey coronamark2, check out my turbo wagon in this forum if your interested Smile

I should post some pics of my mark II but she is a bit ugly at the moment, i've got a set of my old rt118 rims on the back with some legal tires. I can't be stuffed buying new tires yet as she hardly gets driven.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 October 2003 03:21]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so let me get this right you have turbo corona wagon, and your parents have the mark2, i think thats right you confused me for a second.

go the sleepers

the 4m will be a 4mte one day.
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 10 October 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically yeah, they've had the mark II since new and i'm taking it off their hands Smile

It's in too good condition to sell because you'd never get decent money for it, so i'm going to play with it instead Smile
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Mon, 13 October 2003 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a yellow 302 powered rt104 burnout car doing the rounds in brissy too, it lays some huge rubber, it has a locked std diff, i saw if snap an axle mid heli once, nice.

i wanna come see that RT118 soon too
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Tue, 14 October 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too easy, wouldn't mind a peek at yours either Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 14 October 2003 02:15]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Tue, 16 December 2003 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.geocities.com/mrdohc2000/images/sIMG_49 76.jpg

pic from the drags a few weeks back

update: got a new spare head, need machining and bigger cams now, will be done in early 04, then suspension.

http://www.geocities.com/mrdohc2000 for more pics, if u dare Evil or Very Mad
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Thu, 19 May 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been 18 months since my last post

well, whats happened since

Got the head done, this is what was done
Stripped,
Bead blasted entire head,
Assessed,
Sent away to get cam tunnel welded and line bored {previous owner cranked down so hard on the manual chain tensioner it melted the bottom of the first exhaust cam tunnel Confused },
Ordered full set of oversized Ferrea Stainless Steel valve blanks to suit a SBC, they were also 0.100" longer so the lash pads didnt have to be too thick,
Ordered a set of 282/282 duration and 0.465" lift SureCam camshafts,
Ordered set of Performance Springs double valve springs {P/N RR4},
Order VRS set and chains too,
Once head arrived back, it was straightened, and was treated to a full port job
Did 3 angle valve job on seats and ground valve faces,
Milled out the valve guides and K-Line'd them
Ground valve stems 0.008" to fit
Fitted and vac tested valves
Sent valves away to have collet grooves machined,
Test fitted cams and slowly set the lash bit by bit
Once lash was set, all valves and springs were fited up as were the cams.
Then 4 months later i got the head back with a freakin huge bill.

Cost price on parts, cost on sublets {line boring and collet grooves getting cut} and only $500 labour, still cost me $1600 Shocked
meh

Have since been to the drags once or twice took my time down by 1.25 seconds and added 8 mph, now its 16.55 and 85mph, but with a 2.7 60 foot time which is absolutely appauling, should be more like 2.3 or maybe 2.4, so a 15 is definately on the cards.

Took car to Maxfix dyno day, made 94, then 97 then made 107.5rwhp which won my class {N/A 4 cyl}

Bought a spare bottom end off a fellow toymodder to do up a bottom end for it.
The bottom end is as follows
0.040" over bore {1mm}
Blue printed to the 9.7:1 pistons {static will be closer to 10.5 tho}
18RG crank getting ground very soon
ARP studs fitted to the resized 18RG rods
ACL moly rings
King Bearings main and big end bearings

Just today i fitted a set of ram tubes and Uni Filter individual socks, made a huge difference to the sound, much throatier and louder Very Happy

Electronic ignition arriving next week

heres my new ram tubes

http://img266.echo.cx/img266/6634/p10100029sw.jpg
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 20 May 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look like your reday for a diff upgrade hint hint
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 20 May 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd love to give it a go

one day i'd like to throw it in and see what type of difference it makes, take it to the strip and see if its worth me upgrading {strength aside i mean}
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Fri, 20 May 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah why not can't hurt
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Fri, 20 May 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good Phil Smile

Do you still have a single spinner?

If so, just get the welder out! Cheaper than an LSD (if they are available) Wink
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sat, 21 May 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, still a single spinner, doesnt matter if its a locker or not, still axle tramps so bad i cant do a skid

when my engine is ready and run in, and i have a 5 speed box i will have to do the diff swap, see how she goes
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sat, 21 May 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you found a 5 speed yet?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sat, 21 May 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent really been looking
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sat, 21 May 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds tough as i love it Very Happy Very Happy
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you realise that "MR DOHC" badge is off a Kia Sportage? Laughing I used to own one!

Seriously, nice job. I too think these Coronas are seriously underrated. Keep up the development! Cool
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm sorry u had to own a kia, i used to work at a kia dealership, so i got 3 bought in $6 each, makes ppl look tho Very Happy
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OT: Old Sportage was not too bad, seemed to be pretty tough in the chassis and drivetrain. Just needed more ground clearance and more power. Smile

In the 95,000km it had done when I sold it, about 12,000 were pulling a 14" poptop caravan or small car trailer and Mini.

But the 2001 Jackaroo Turbo Diesel I have now is much better! Very Happy
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bnicho wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 14:05

OT: Old Sportage was not too bad,

you go to hell, you go to hell and u die

never taint anyo my threads every again with praises of kia's, u scum Mad
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seen you like kia's do they give you night mares after working there Laughing
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just laugh at any poor basard driving a current model mentor or pregio or carnival, they are soooooooo bad, it should be made a legal requirement to disclose any and all info about problems dealers are having with current model cars
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Sun, 22 May 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah a colleague of mine just got rid of a Carnival - he had heaps of trouble with it. Engine blew at 48,000km. Shocked
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: philmelvins 18RG RT104 Sat, 04 June 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 21:38

been 18 months since my last post

well, whats happened since

Got the head done, this is what was done
Stripped,
Bead blasted entire head,
Assessed,
Sent away to get cam tunnel welded and line bored {previous owner cranked down so hard on the manual chain tensioner it melted the bottom of the first exhaust cam tunnel Confused },
Ordered full set of oversized Ferrea Stainless Steel valve blanks to suit a SBC, they were also 0.100" longer so the lash pads didnt have to be too thick,
Ordered a set of 282/282 duration and 0.465" lift SureCam camshafts,
Ordered set of Performance Springs double valve springs {P/N RR4},
Order VRS set and chains too,
Once head arrived back, it was straightened, and was treated to a full port job
Did 3 angle valve job on seats and ground valve faces,
Milled out the valve guides and K-Line'd them
Ground valve stems 0.008" to fit
Fitted and vac tested valves
Sent valves away to have collet grooves machined,
Test fitted cams and slowly set the lash bit by bit
Once lash was set, all valves and springs were fited up as were the cams.
Then 4 months later i got the head back with a freakin huge bill.

Cost price on parts, cost on sublets {line boring and collet grooves getting cut} and only $500 labour, still cost me $1600 Shocked
meh

Have since been to the drags once or twice took my time down by 1.25 seconds and added 8 mph, now its 16.55 and 85mph, but with a 2.7 60 foot time which is absolutely appauling, should be more like 2.3 or maybe 2.4, so a 15 is definately on the cards.

Took car to Maxfix dyno day, made 94, then 97 then made 107.5rwhp which won my class {N/A 4 cyl}

Bought a spare bottom end off a fellow toymodder to do up a bottom end for it.
The bottom end is as follows
0.040" over bore {1mm}
Blue printed to the 9.7:1 pistons {static will be closer to 10.5 tho}
18RG crank getting ground very soon
ARP studs fitted to the resized 18RG rods
ACL moly rings
King Bearings main and big end bearings

Just today i fitted a set of ram tubes and Uni Filter individual socks, made a huge difference to the sound, much throatier and louder Very Happy

Electronic ignition arriving next week

heres my new ram tubes

http://img266.echo.cx/img266/6634/p10100029sw.jpg

ahahaha "fulli sik 18rg" that's the best badge i've ever seen on an engine Laughing
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Mon, 06 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who did u get the VRS and chain kit off?

Do u know the OD of the valves?

When u first got the head did u have any trouble with cracked valves guides?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Thu, 23 June 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we sell them at my work
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Thu, 23 June 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Thu, 23 June 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supplier? or brand?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Thu, 23 June 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dura pro, thru ACL, i can get them for u if u want, cheap cheap
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Thu, 23 June 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all engine components machined

taking parts to work to ready them for assembly/balancing
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Fri, 24 June 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Part number for the ACL/Dura Pro VRS kit
DK690.
Someone got one of these for me the other day.

Don't trust the torque fugures they write down for the head gasket through, they are wrong.
They've written down the torque figures for an 18RC (88.5ft.lb), not an 18RG.

18RG head bolt torque figures are 52.1-63.7 ft.lb.

The intake manifold gasket if for an 18RGEU bit it still fits ok.
Only issue that might be found is that the front plate gasket is a two bolt 18RGEU one, not a four bolt 18RG/U one. It is rubber though, so maybe it won't leak for a change.

Haven't checked the size of the valve stem seals, hopefully they aren't for the 18RC size valves, then theyy'd be 0.5mm too tight.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Mr DOHC's 18RG RT104 Fri, 24 June 2005 06:12 Go to previous message
i didnt even look at their torque ratings, i just went fot the toyota book

the valve stem seals are fine.

just get a piece of sand paper, and rub the back of the front plate on it and it'll show if its flat, if so, then just use goo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Three Tone Green TA-22
Next Topic:Manzy's new car
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 00:18:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06575608253479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.