Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 00:52 Go to next message
Last August I got booked for speeding near mittagong on the freeway back from Canberra at around 00:30 on a Sunday morning... doing 132 in a 110 zone. Not having been booked for over 12 years and still on 12 points, I just payed the fine and got on with it...

However I just received a letter saying that my license is going to be cancelled for 1 month!! Apparently if you drive over 130 in a 110 zone it's an automatic one month suspension - when did they bring this crap rule in?!

The crazy thing is, the one month suspension doesnt start until halfway through November, therefore I'm allowed to drive up until then... where's the logic in that...

Anyway I'm off to write a nice polite letter to someone... bastards...

sam

[Updated on: Sat, 11 October 2003 00:53]

Send a private message to this user    
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam wrote on Sat, 11 October 2003 10:52

The crazy thing is, the one month suspension doesnt start until halfway through November, therefore I'm allowed to drive up until then... where's the logic in that...

well if you think about it, its a courtesy thing
it gives you time to organise transportation for yourself to get to work etc

if they immediately cancelled your license you would be greatly inconvenienced and more likely to say "fuck it im taking the car" which is not what they want you to do

also if you were wrongly accused it gives you time argue the fine so you;re not inconvenienced when you didnt do anything wrong

seeing as though you have a very good record they might be able to dull it down maybe ? but unless you have an actual excuse , ie: speedo was wrong....was being chased by ghoons whatever they wont be likely to do anything

u cant do something illegal and get out of it just cause u have a good record

Ta
Mani
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's illogical. If some group has decided that doing 132 in a 110 kph zone is so unsafe that it requires mandatory licence cancellation, why should such a dangerous driver be allowed on our roads for another month? Rolling Eyes It's a bit like letting a drunk driver drive home after they blew 0.28. I suppose it allows another month of potential revenue raising....[much sarcasm]

The issuing officer should have notified you of the full implications when he gave you the penalty notice, not that I think it is some loophole for you to work your way out of the penalty.

I feel for you - it's bloody unlucky to be stiffed in the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere. Just be happy that you don't live in Victoria - here you could potentially be fined for doing the speed limit!

Cheers Dave.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder what theyd say about 190 then
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thing that gets me is, is it our responsibility to keep up with these new laws? Does the government send out notices letting us know, cause I don't remember getting anything or seeing anything... if it's supposed to be a deterent, how can it deter people if they don't know about it?

I spoke to my detective friend, and even he just found out about it last month - what hope has the general public got?

He told me it's easier to get off for murder, at least with murder you can say you didn't mean it, but with speeding saying you didn't mean it doesnt mean jack.

The other crap thing is that I could have gotten fined three times for doing exactly 130k in a 110 zone - same $$ and points - and still get to keep my license... it's just totally illogical.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if youve had an exemplary record for 12 years, you should have written to the IPB director - they often let you off with a warning if you have a flawless record for 10 years or more.

and yes it is stupid. I figure doing 130 in a 110 zone is a hell of a lot safer than doing 60 in a school zone, or 70 around the back streets of a heavily populated suburb.

how can you get fined in vic for doing the speed limit?!
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam or anybody.. Ive had no luck trying to find who to foward letters concering this topic to.. Can anybody help me out?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Sat, 11 October 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
letters regarding... ?
challenge of lisence suspension?
Id go to your local cop shop and ask them
theyre usually suprisingly helpful (Ive found anyhow)
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Mon, 13 October 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone told me the NRMA can advise about what to write and to where... maybe I should become a member.

sam
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: license cancellation Mon, 13 October 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, NRMA helps you with that. My Mum has used them before to get a speeding fine cleared. She had a flawless record too.
But she did it before she paid the fine.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: license cancellation Mon, 13 October 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is interesting Sam as I can't find anything like that here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalti es/speeding.html

Oh no, The small print

"An automatic one-month licence suspension or minimum disqualification period applies for any driver caught travelling more than 130km/h. This will apply in any case not covered by suspensions or disqualifications listed above. In addition, a traffic infringement notice fine of $203 ($306 for drivers of vehicles greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM) and 3 demerit points apply to this offence".

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2003 08:24]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: license cancellation Mon, 13 October 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for fines in NSW, write to:

The Director,
Infringement Processing Bureau
PO BOX 777
Hunter region MC
NSW, 2310

but if you've already payed it, you can take it to court...

a mate of mine got caught doing more than 45 over in a 110 zone (in a skyline, by Fed police) and went to court and got it talked down to a 1 month suspension and $500 fine. no idea how tho, it's the second time he's lost his licence.....
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: license cancellation Mon, 13 October 2003 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam wrote on Sat, 11 October 2003 10:52

when did they bring this crap rule in?!

It's been in for quite some time now.. I would hesitate a guess at over a year..
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Tue, 14 October 2003 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's in the small print below that:

An automatic one-month licence suspension or minimum disqualification period applies for any driver caught travelling more than 130km/h. This will apply in any case not covered by suspensions or disqualifications listed above. In addition, a traffic infringement notice fine of $203 ($306 for drivers of vehicles greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM) and 3 demerit points apply to this offence.
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Tue, 14 October 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yeah you edited your post.. thanks anyway.

Anyway I'll let you know how I go... if not i'll be train-ing to work, which is a major PITA..
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: license cancellation Tue, 14 October 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a look at my last fine last night (have not paid for it yet) 134 in 110 zone. Looks like I might be getting one of these letters soon........... Rolling Eyes
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: license cancellation Tue, 14 October 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt it over east in some states that u if you get booked doing more than 20kph over the limit its 1 month?
do i remember reading that somewhere?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Tue, 14 October 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not here
30+ is nsws law
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: license cancellation Tue, 14 October 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love perth

i can do 200+ and get 6 points and 350$

unless they go for dangerous driving aswell, inwhich case its an additional 4 points and 250$
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: license cancellation Wed, 15 October 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in vic, 25 over, instant one month, no matter what the circumstances.

35 over, 6 months.
45 over, 12 months.

I did the 35 thing at about 3 am on a desolate straight road.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: license cancellation Wed, 15 October 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

gotta love perth

i can do 200+ and get 6 points and 350$

unless they go for dangerous driving aswell, inwhich case its an additional 4 points and 250$

So if I came to perth, and got 'caught', would NSW rules apply or Perth ones?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Wed, 15 October 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might just get the fine...can't remember.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: license cancellation Wed, 15 October 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty sure perth rules would apply
tho you could prolly talk the officer down a few kms by saying your and eastern states idiot
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Wed, 15 October 2003 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, we respect your honesty about that one over here Laughing
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: license cancellation Wed, 15 October 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep my mate got caught doing 154 in a 100zone he was on his p's to he got a 6 point fine and a good $400 fine Laughing
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: license cancellation - update Wed, 12 November 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I just got out of court this morning, a few weeks ago I decided to appeal against the license suspension so I went to the court to make an application. I wanted to push the appeal hearing out as long as possible, but they wouldnt give so it ended up being today, just one day before my suspension was due to start. It was an all or nothing attempt.

So apart from watching Judge Judy it was my first time in court, so a little nerve racking, especially since I was defending myself Shocked Shocked Shocked

But... I'm happy to say.. I had the appeal upheld. So I'm a free man!! free to drive, anyway Smile I'm pretty sure the judge also realised how much that law sucked as well, so I may have been lucky in that sense. Actually the judge did look a bit like John Wood - I thought I was in Rafferty's Rules for a sec... Very Happy

So, alls well that ends well, I guess. Just goes to show, it's not impossible.

sam

[Updated on: Wed, 12 November 2003 03:10]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: license cancellation - update Wed, 12 November 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam! You're my hero! Very Happy

Congrats.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: license cancellation Wed, 12 November 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done dude Cool
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: license cancellation Thu, 13 November 2003 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the way Sam, and some judge joe brown wouldn't hurt watching Very Happy
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: license cancellation Sun, 16 November 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got booked for 87 in a 60 zone in double points, but he didnt get me on camera he got a car next to me and he rekoned that I was doing the same speed. I wrote on the fine that i would take it too court and they have never got back to me. That was 12 months ago..... Laughing Laughing

Oh and well done Sam.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 November 2003 11:38]

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: license cancellation Sun, 16 November 2003 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sam what did you say in your defence?
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: license cancellation Wed, 10 December 2003 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which court did u go to and what was the judges name
maybe ill be able to keep my baby aferall if i can get off my 2 30 and overs which will result in 6 months suspension and license suspension however long that will be due to no points left Crying or Very Sad
and of all things its in a mates dunnydoor due to mechenical speedo fault Evil or Very Mad
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: license cancellation Wed, 10 December 2003 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How cool would it be if the govornment put a stretch of road to nowhere somewhere (in victoria) that had no speed limit? That would ROCK. Especialy if it was well maintained.

I'm not to fond of the way "speeding" is demonised. What I want to see is a breakdown of accident reports. This report would have all the accidents in a one or two year period. It would have information on where the accident took place (freeway, light controlled intersection, etc), the speed of the car before the accident (estimated ofcourse), if there where any fatalities, what kind of accident (single car, head on etc), time of day of accident, drivers blood alchehol level, drivers fatigue level (estimated), car faults (worn tires, bad breaks, worn shockers), and driver experience (ie, years driving - not a perfect judge, but it will do) and involved parties (ie - Small Car, Larg Car, 4WD, small truck, large truck, motorbike, pedestrian, child pedestrian).

That way I could see for myself if speeding on a freeway with nobody else around realy is the cause of accidents. Freak
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: license cancellation Thu, 11 December 2003 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll never see a report like this because it will show the TRUTH!

We all know that speed isn't necessarily a factor in how an accident occurs or that it ever played a part in some accidents, even if there was multiple fatalities. It' only the politicians who don't drive themselves anywhere and want more revenue to fund their annual pay increases (does anyone know how much teir pay is increased over the CPU ever year?) that believe that speed is the answer to everything.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: license cancellation Fri, 12 December 2003 04:50 Go to previous message
Yeah, I know. Sux huh?

The thing is, I'm sure speed is a factor in a lot of accidents. But I think it is just a contributing factor. The MAIN factor being that the dick behind the wheel can't drive, or they are half asleep, or drunk off their nut.

Anyway, I'm not gonna look at their so called statistics and change my ways until their statistics have enough information in them. Actually, I don't think I have seen any statistics of how many accidents just involve speed let alone the rest of the stuff I mentioned...

I also notice that there are statistics showing that men cause more accidents than women. I would like to see however, how many combined kms men drive a year in comparison to who many combined kms women drive a year. I would also like to see how many male license holders there are compared to women license holders. I think we would find that the average crash rate of men would decline when compared to these other figures. For EG, it's not fair to compare how many times men have crashed to women, if there are twice as many men on the road and they each travel twice as far per year. This would mean the men would be four times more likely to have an accident, as there are just more of them on the road!

Bloody statistics.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bathurst 24 Hour
Next Topic:License Renewal plan
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:23:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075879096984863 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.