Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » sprinter good first car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 05:15 Go to next message
hey all just wondering if a sprinter is an ok car as a first car i know the parts arent cheap but im looking for a good all round "fun" car.
how much fuel does the standard 4ac engine use? and what about the 4age? are they guzzlers?
if i do buy one im not planning on thrashing it i want to learn more about it if anything just gonna use it as a general A to B car with the casual scare the shit out of my friends hehe Evil or Very Mad (within limits of course) so what do you guys think?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're not too powerful and come with a single spinner RWD set up so you should be fine
could be worse cars out there Smile
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can say that they can be a money pit so it helps if you have some funds to invest in it. Have a look at this link, it weighs both pro's & con's:

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4432
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your not going to 'scare' this shit out of anyone with the 4ac and stock suspension.. It's pretty darn slow.

Fuel wise, 4ac uses about 1.3 liters to the 10.
4age has the magical 1 to 10.

if you don't intend to modify it, they are a boring car with a high premium. You could do way better with the price range you are going to spend on a sprinter.

Though if you are willing to chuck a bit of $$$$$, they are one of the best cars to modify and drive..

simple as that.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know i cant do that much with the 4ac im probably going to do the engine conversion to it anyway if i cant a 4age pre-modded version and so the fuel isnt too bad on it (depending if its tuned right) i checked: http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/fuelguide/tables/petr ol/toyota.htm and it looks like it should be about the same level as a camry and corolla so anyone got any other info for me?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well set aside $30-40 a week for petrol 4AC or 4AG there pretty much the same as they are both 1600cc in capcity.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't expect to scare anyone with the straight line speed of a regular 4age. No geforce from these engines.

However, if you are flooring it round a corner, these things have more than enough power to really break traction. This defintitely is good if you want your mates to enter the 'shit-your-pants' territory.

A premodded sprinter with 4age will start from about 5k. 8k+ for something with a nice setup.

A drive in drive out conversion starts from about 3k. From here, you'll need to address the suspension, and maybe driveline which is more cash.

---

When you are buying a sprinter, watch out for rust spots. These cars are old and tend to commonly have rust.
Also, check the chassis. The 86 by default has got a rather weak chassis. Check for signs of corrosion, flexing, or bendages.

-----

Overall, they are a great car. However, they are only worth doing up if you totally have a passion for em.
Other than that, there a newer and more superior cars in the price bracket of the 86.
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: sprinter good first car? Sat, 11 October 2003 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Fuel wise, 4ac uses about 1.3 liters to the 10.
4age has the magical 1 to 10."

Is the mor epowerful ag more fuel effiecient?
Hmmm
Whats a stock gze like in comparison?

BTW dont suppose anyone wants to trade me ane ae92 gze for the mr2 one I have hahahaa....
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: sprinter good first car? Sun, 12 October 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno because I get 1L to 10km from the old 4a-c anyway.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: sprinter good first car? Sun, 12 October 2003 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Makes sense for the 4a-ge to have better fuel economy because its got efi
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Sun, 12 October 2003 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i have heard, the 4ac gets better fuel economy than the GE, dunno ab0ut this 1.3 litres to the ten, which i take to mean 12 litres per hundred, i figure mine uses around 10L/hundred ks city, and last time i measured it, it used 6.2 litres per hundred on the highway.

i'd get a cheaper more common car for a first car/a-b bomb.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Sun, 12 October 2003 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shiny blue steel..

I deinitely agree with you there. As a crappy a-b car, something else would probably better... (hehehe.. I just don't want the possibility of another sprinter being ridden off the roads).

In terms of fuel economy, I guess those figures can be wrong. But that's approximately how much I got before my engine transplant. Could be the fact that my 4ac engine was somewhat tired.

But in terms of new 4ac vs new 4age, the extra power of the 4age does not necesserily mean extra fuel.
This is because the 4age is fuel injected twin cam.
The 4ac is carbueretted. Both are 1600cc.

in terms of what is more fuel efficient, EFI vs Carbi, then EFI wins hands down.

rock on.
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: sprinter good first car? Mon, 13 October 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey

its my first car but its something im willing to throw money at.

but thats just me i probably wouldnt recomed them for an a-b car
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: sprinter good first car? Mon, 13 October 2003 10:45 Go to previous message
good points about this i like the idea of gettin a more common car but i dont want something boring nad dotn worry if i get one i will definately take care of it... as long as the money lasts hehe
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:BMW 540 V8
Next Topic:NOS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 08:48:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045149326324463 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.