Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » found the cuase of my misfiring engine (running on 5 cylinders)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
found the cuase of my misfiring engine (running on 5 cylinders) Sat, 11 October 2003 09:09
So one night after flooring my supra it started misfiring, and was running on 5 cylinders.

anyway after a month of my MA70 supra just sitting there, i built up the courage to actually work on my 7mgte. Pulled all the piping off etc to get the cam covers off, took the middle cam cover off and there was ALOT of oil sitting in the spark plug wells. I had a fun time taking it all out ( oil ended up in my mouth alot) then proceeded to take out the spark plugs, turns out the number 2 spark plug had no gap! the contacts were touching eachother.

That explians why i was running on 5 cylinders. But how in the hell could the spark plug end up like that? it would have to be hit with a hammer to make the contacts touch eacthother. I looked in the hole that the spark plug came out of with a torch and i couldn't see any marks on the piston. So the piston shouldn't of touched the spark plug. perhaps a ring or some foriegn object (chunk of carbon) was in the chamber to do that to a spark plug. Anyway i'll do a compression test in a few days and find out more. Have you guys ever had a spark plug end up with the contacts touching eachother? If so is it cuased by something more serious? or is it possible spark plugs can end up that way from just bieng used?

I'm no expert with mechanics, so forgive my lack of knowledge.

I will put new cam seals in to hopefully stop the oil leaking into the middle part of the head. But i just hope i don't have a major problem like big end. Altho i never heard any knocking or ratteling when the problem occured.

anyway would love to hear of any simular experiences or advice.
Cheers, Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5me with no emission gear
Next Topic:Crown MS5x, RS5x Series Chassis, Body, Engine Manuals free to a good home
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 07:29:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050139427185059 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.