Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1UZ - 185? or 208?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

1UZ - 185? or 208? Sat, 11 October 2003 09:33 Go to next message
Yo

anyone know any way of knowing whether a 1uz is the 185kW, or 208kW version?
was it just the vvt-i ones that were 208?
or did they get more power after a certain year??

cheers peeps

Peewee
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Sat, 11 October 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, the 208 ones were 97+ and vvti
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Sat, 11 October 2003 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so all non vvti's are 185?

cheers draven
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Sat, 11 October 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
242 - 265 bhp
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Sat, 11 October 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, cheers dude
the guy place said it was a 96-97ish vintage, so hopefully its a 265
http://www.oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/1uz.html
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Sun, 12 October 2003 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a non-vvti model.

Looks like a soarer (no polution gear opposite throttle, exhaust hugs block, engine fan isn't hydrollic)

Not sure what the two oil lines that go below the filter are though. And also it looks like a mid sump as I've got less room between the sump and the flywheel (mine is a soarer sump). Also the PS resevior is on the pump, Soarer's are on the wall.

So I think this would be a Crown Majestic.

Not sure about those engine mounts too. They're totally different to mine and to most soarers. Will be very custom to get that mounted in anything.

either way you'll get about 125rwkw on stock computer. After you replace the thermostat housing (shouldn't be too hard). You can get a shorter belt that doesn't go around the aircon (I'll find out the length for you). Make sure you rebuild the PS pump before putting it in the car, otherwise you'll have to do it later and also rebuild your alternator.

Is the AFM there? All the wiring is cut, so you couldn't run that on normal computer without a fair bit of hassle.
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a crown royal saloon engine.
Probably around the 180KW mark (don't believe anything the seller tells you). They have smaller injectors than the SC400s. They also have the worst headers (as you can see on the pics).
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I concur with Kdog.

Although "worst" is relative in this case Kdog. They're the BEST if your putting it in a Supra, or another car with limited side room.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KDog wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 10:10

Probably around the 180KW mark (don't believe anything the seller tells you).

Where you get this info from? I've never seen any of the engines rated below the 185kW mark...

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2003 02:23]

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers Pete

i'll be using the cressidas aircon, and will attempt to use the cressidas power steer aswell, but failing that, i will use the 1uz's. i will also be going elec water pump and elec thermo, so the belt will be shorter still

i will also be going after market management, so no wiring/afm is definately not an issue

engine mounts i shall deal with when i pull the 6m out
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a Davies craig EWP setup already with pipes for the 1UZ. If you want it. Reason I pulled it out and re-installed the mechanical water pump (quite frustrating) was because my radiator was blocked 80%. It works fine. I've also got the EWP controller and a few other bits and peices. This cost me at least $1000 and lots of messing around.

Aftermarket managemtent I can help with too.

Taking off the fan is a great idea, but don't expect to shorten the belt as you'll need that pulley as a tensioner. I'm running a DC16 from memory. a DC32 will fit as well, but the 16 is more heavy duty.

You'll need to use the PS pump from the 1uz as the cressida one won't fit without modification. Whereas the 1uz one should plug in to your PS lines (Mine did!).

If your doing all that then from the photos that engine looks like it would suit you well. Try and get a compression test too.

Goodluck and any more questions gimme an email peter.watson@vss.com.au
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing, with an electric water pump and the 1uz. You'll need to block off the recirculation pipe that is just behind the thermostat. Because the thermostat is on the IN pipe what the engine does is recirculate the water inside the engine until its warm enough and then starts pulling the water through the radiator, this helps warm up the engine faster!

I plugged mine up with some sheet metal that I cut from the side of a computer case. I held these two peices together with a long and bent bolt with a nut on the end. This blocked off the recirculation pipe but still left everything else there. With you needing to replace that thermostat housing its a good time to put this plug in. If you want the rest of my hoses & pump/etc. I'll gladly put my plug in as well (if I find it).

If you don't plug it, when the EWP pushes water into the engine it will bypass the engine completely by going through the recirculation pipe then straight back into the radiator. Quite dangerous to engine longevity.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers pete
i'm a good few weeks away from tinkering with the motor (thesis due in 3 weeks, prolyl not the best time to buy a new motor), so after i get it home i'll start looking around it.

i shall 'attempt' to mod the cressida p/s to suit the 1uz if it can, coz i know it works, and works well.
i;ve already got a thermo, DC14 from memory, (4 big fat blades, about 3-4" thick), and a brand new radiator, so cooling "should" not be an issue

i may take you up on that EWP setup tho, but we'll see that in a few weeks time
mycarhasposessedme
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kdog is spot on with the motor Id.
Have you purchased it yet?
I did a lot of 1uz pricing about 6 months ago, pm me if you would like the info I have.
(ps I'm chasing a lead on a custom rear sump)
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 09:20

Thats a non-vvti model.

Looks like a soarer (no polution gear opposite throttle, exhaust hugs block, engine fan isn't hydrollic)

Not sure what the two oil lines that go below the filter are though. And also it looks like a mid sump as I've got less room between the sump and the flywheel (mine is a soarer sump). Also the PS resevior is on the pump, Soarer's are on the wall.

Hmmmm???

FWIW, my engine almost certainly came from a Soarer (a UZZ31, unless I miss my guess...This, because we owned a UZZ31, and our engine is practically identical to that one...)

It includes:
"V8 Four Cam 32" lettering on the spark-plug lead covers
Hydraulic fan (we've used a second reservoir to recirculate the fluid the pump would have circulated for a fan)
Front-sump
PS reservoir sits on the pump
the exhaust manifold is very different to a stock Soarer manifold - particularly on that side.

As for the two oil lines...These are for the remote-mounting oil filter shown in the pic - typical of a Crown application.

Definitely a Crown engine.

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out the engine chart under tech info on my site. It has six versions of the 1UZ on it.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biased99 wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 20:15

Definitely a Crown engine.

Nope, as Kdog said its a Crown Royal Saloon different to the Crown and the Soarer.

Mine is a Crown engine although I've got the sump and exhaust manifolds from a soarer, and there is NO oil lines like that (I should know as I made the remote oil filter jig myself). Actually the oil filter location is completely different to a crown engine as its behind the mount, whereas a crown oil filter is in front of the mount.

Also a crown engine has a lot more polution gear, different exhaust manifolds and a rear sump.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm talking about the UZS131 (I think) engine...

Those remote oil-feed lines are exclusive to the Crown (Royal, whatever) vehicle as, among other things, the engine is mounted differently (at a tilt) in the Crown and the filet would foul on the X-member. For another pic of the lines, check the pics from the Carbontech site...same engine.

In short, I wouldn't know (or care about) the differences between a Crown Royal, Athlete or whatever else they're called...my point was the engine's origin could be narrowed down to a "Crown" as opposed to a Soarer/Celsior etc.

Oh, and it's definitely NOT from a "Century" Crown... Laughing
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Mon, 13 October 2003 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We already worked out it wasn't a soarer, about 12 posts ago.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Tue, 14 October 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
according to GT, there was only 1 that came out with a mid sump, and thats a crown royal saloon
the rest had front/rear sumps
so just from that, i'm guessing its a crown royal saloon motor
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ - 185? or 208? Tue, 14 October 2003 01:08 Go to previous message
LOL Laughing

We've already said its definately a Crown Royal Saloon!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S-GE rebuild q
Next Topic:MR2 Snorkles
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 14:47:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054409503936768 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.