Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
icon14.gif  Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 01:52 Go to next message
Has anyone done it or knows of some one doing it. Did it give you a shit ride or what happins. How many coils did you snip off
  Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just buy some lowered springs you cheap bastard

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/catalogues/WS3_Co ver_inside_a.jpg

call them

[Updated on: Sat, 11 October 2003 01:56]

MRTWOSUM
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i actually asked the same question once to a suspension place, and they said i was a cheap bastard too Very Happy

just get some new lowered springs i recon
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cut springs suck goats balls mmmkay Sad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cut 5 coils out of mine.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont cut springs, Smile

take em out and ride on bump stops! Laughing
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cut springs aint legal and they arn't safe, just save up a few weeks and get some nice lowered springs, for cheap ones I think pedders have some springs?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sat, 11 October 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if he can afford an sw20 he can afford to buy the bloody springs, cutting them may even cost him more in the long run anyway. ive heard good things about whiteline which is why i reccommended them, but you can get spings from heaps of places
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already have kings springs in my car, i still have the standard ones. Its that my friend cut six coils of his standard civic springs and it looks mad, but the ride is obviously shit house. Still with mine there is still some gaps between the tyres and guards. I want it low............... Very Happy
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donate your old springs to st vinnies and buy some super lows
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hondas are shit.....show him how low Toyotas can go.....cut seven coils out.
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaahaahaahaah!!! HIs car is mad. Its a AVO special.. AVO did a whole new engine for him. I cant remember but i think I was told that i cant get super lows... i dont know. WHAT DO U GUYS SAY!!!!! Surprised Surprised
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just fork out for a set of whiteline lowered progressive sprongs - i have these in my Gt4 - tacked in with Konis and the rides sporty AND smooth ..

My daily roads are cut up country jobs too - and you can hardly notice the bumps ..

cut springs = cheap-ass wanker looking for defecting stickers ..

be safe - get proper ones - enjoy PROPER handling benifits
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if my Gt4 is an Avo Special - I have their boost controller , they isntalled the turbo timer - and made an effort to make a cat back exhaust ..

Cant wait to get my Aussie exhaust system in - i Loathe mild Steel....
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude. even considering cutting springs is stupid.

"Yes, i'd like a couple of holes punched right through my strut tops! And can i get a side order of shit handling?"

Gay. Hard.

If u can afford to trash your car with chopped springs, you can afford to get a professional to consult you on this matter. I recommend the latter.
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71: You wouldnt believe his car. Its just not a bolt on turbo kit, put it this way, $3,000 just for the exhaut system its self. He has $20,000 under the bonnet. Stage 3 set up. Its not a normal civic. The engine comes out of a CRV, different head, stroked, garret, front mount, boost, links managment, the works..... Thats not even half the ting i can remember...
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Sun, 12 October 2003 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all that and yet he still CUT his springs. haha
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Mon, 13 October 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry but yes it might hve a Stinkign hot motor in it but i can guarantee it would handle like crap ..

Chopped springs is a one way ticket to totally stuffing up the geometry of the cars handling ..

it might look fully sic in lygon street - but put a car like that on a track with bends - and watch everyone laugh at it ..

20K on a motor - yay ! id love that too - but alot of people are smart on here - they make their car CAPABLE of handling power to ground before making the powerr out of the motor - via things like brakes ( is he on stock brakes btw ?), Struts/springs + the such ..

I hope you dont follow the cut springs path - Mr2's can be a bloody good handling car - if set up right - F with the suspension in a dodgy way - and you can pretty much kiss all its good traits goodbye
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Mon, 13 October 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a better idea, how about you cut your springs, drive fast around a corner in the wet under throttle, then back of the throttle all of a sudden

id be interested in seeing what happens to an mr2 when it gets a bit of lift off oversteer (always fun in a mid engine) and has fucked suspension geometery.

then mabye you can take some photos and you can be the one telling people why not to use cut springs instead of me Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Mon, 13 October 2003 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the immortal words of murray walker , the voice of formula one .

" Spin, spin, spin - round, round, round he goes (Senna completing a 900 (!) degree spin at the approach to the Hairpin onto Pit Straight) "

"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2003 09:25]

Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Mon, 13 October 2003 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just my 2c....

Why not go coil-over suspension that will allow you to adjust the height of your car (and the rest of the suspension to match)?

Or if you want to go the cheap way then get some custom made pedders springs? Plenty of other companies make springs too...

heheh cut springs ;p
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Mon, 13 October 2003 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coil overs are too expencieve.......IF you can find me a cheap ones that will be good. Mid engines are mad to drive. You think im stupid to drive in the wet and take a corner fast!!!!!! I wouldnt even do it now only if there was a big open area the size of a car park yeah but bad experiences......(Scared for Life in my mine).................. Sad
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing U funny!!

So got money to spend on shit like sizzor doors and altessas and then coilovers are too expensive. Rolling Eyes

Dude, honestly...... step back a bit and evaluate what you really want out of a car......

Do you want to increase the performance.... (no not just power... the car as a whole),

or do you want to compete in the Riceathon... I mean Autosalon.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a properly set up car should be able to corner fast in the wet anyway (obviously not as fast as in the dry) you can learn to drive within the limits when its wet just like you learn to drive within the limits of the cars handling in the dry. the only difference is that the limit is lower (traction that is)

my point was getting oversteer in a mid engine is SERIOUS cos of all that weight in the back, and youd be silly to fuck up your suspension geometery, plus risk doing damage to you car
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Tue, 14 October 2003 14:14

a properly set up car should be able to corner fast in the wet anyway (obviously not as fast as in the dry) you can learn to drive within the limits when its wet just like you learn to drive within the limits of the cars handling in the dry. the only difference is that the limit is lower (traction that is)

my point was getting oversteer in a mid engine is SERIOUS cos of all that weight in the back, and youd be silly to fuck up your suspension geometery, plus risk doing damage to you car

Thank you, Lang! Don't forget also....... sometimes Hard set coilovers and wet roads are a disaster. Was talking to a guy with a SW20T with I think Tein HA's and he was coasting through a roundabout at like 25-30, just a little bit of water on the road and he got all out of shape.... didn't jerk the steering wheel, or try to induce the oversteer by feathering the throttle and it was a big, wide roundabout... not a little tight one!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like I said, this guy deserves to cut at least 7 coils out of his springs.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2200 wrote on Sun, 12 October 2003 23:57

Classique71: You wouldnt believe his car. Its just not a bolt on turbo kit, put it this way, $3,000 just for the exhaut system its self. He has $20,000 under the bonnet.

wow!!!! thats some setup!!
AVO must've been laughing all the way to the bank (or eftpos machine)

give me $20K and see what i can come up with Very Happy (and see how small a car i can put it in)

hmmmm, so how does a FWD car put down $20,000 of power??? seriously..... how many freekin coils does a civic have? 6 out of? what, maybe 8 or 10?

c'mon, you're just pullin our leg aren't you? ... aren't you?

weld-on coil-over sleeve setup can be had for under $200, custom coil over springs, under $200.... how cheap you want to go??
Cya, Stewart
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a fully serious note, taking into account the opinions of everyone above....

lower the car to a level that increases performance, then if it still doesn't look low enough, get some side skirts. if there is too much gap between guard and tyre, then get the guards extended!!! then you have the best of both worlds. good performance with a ful sik look!

or just dump it, drive slowly and bounce thru interesections Smile) ( i love george street sometimes!! i think they should put in speed bumps for the humour factor Razz )
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Tue, 14 October 2003 14:26

lang wrote on Tue, 14 October 2003 14:14

Thank you, Lang! Don't forget also....... sometimes Hard set coilovers and wet roads are a disaster. Was talking to a guy with a SW20T with I think Tein HA's and he was coasting through a roundabout at like 25-30, just a little bit of water on the road and he got all out of shape.... didn't jerk the steering wheel, or try to induce the oversteer by feathering the throttle and it was a big, wide roundabout... not a little tight one!

i guess thats a case of very low traction Smile , suspension is interesting, harder springs dosent nessecarily mean faster. my friend has a r23 gtst with really hard springs and you cant go fast on bumpy bits through the hills cos the car thinks its a pogo stick and starts lifting tyres at front and the back off the ground all the time. (sounds stupid but this does happen, it gets really out of shape)

really hard suspension and wet or bumpy roads dont mix (tein ha's are pretty fucking hard), most of the time a stock suspension setup will be faster in less than perfect conditions

lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps if you were told you cant get super lows im sure their is a reason why you cant get them on your car, did you ever think about that. cutting them might give you the same issue as a superlow spring would create.
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Tue, 14 October 2003 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK THATS IT... IM NOT GOING TO CUT THE SPRINGS. IT WAS A THOUGHT. WHY DO YOU GUYS CARE SO MUCH.... MY FRIEND TRY IT CAUSE HE HAD A SPARE PAIR OF SPINGS. HIS ONLY HAD THEM IN FOR A WEEK. IF PEOPLE DONT BELIEVE ME ABOUT HIS CIVIC TO BAD CAUSE ITS TRUE AND ITS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! BELIVE WHAT YOU WANT GUYS..... I DONT SPIN SHIT.......... OK SO HAVE WE GOT IT SETTLED NOW. I WAS NEVER GOING TO DO MY SPRINGS IN THE FIRST PLACE. OK DUDES SO THATS IT. HOPE YOU GUYS GET THIS MESSAGE. I GLAD YOU GUYS ARE SAYING NO AND ALL AND JUST LETTING ME NO BUT ITS STARTING TO REPEAT ITSELF. IM NOT SHITTY OR CUT OR PISSED OFF, IM JUST ENDING THIS TOPIC ...... THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP....

CIAO....... Smile
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Wed, 15 October 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't cut your springs! Very Happy

Why do we care so much? you asked.........

Because we value safe and legal modification of a car, and not only your saftey but also the saftey of fellow road users.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Wed, 15 October 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that we'd all hate to see a nice Mr2 ( if thats yours in the avatar ) written off by bad advice Smile
MR2200
Regular

October 2003
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Wed, 15 October 2003 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats cool dudes but i wasn't expecting all the feed back... I no its for safety and all and its cool that you guys care so much....... oh yeah that is my car on the av@#$% what ever its called.......

No shit guys thanks heaps....
Do you think koni shockers go good with king springs????? Cool
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats everybodies opinion on cut standard springs for SW20 MR2 Thu, 16 October 2003 01:19 Go to previous message
Yer this is your average joe blow setup going around these days, which has proven to be quite good on a lot of rides.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jzx90 wiring diagram?
Next Topic:can i get bigger slotted disc for my SW20 MR2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:51:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053701400756836 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.