Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

awesome guitar solos Sat, 11 October 2003 15:35 Go to next message
ok, just listening to a song then, lets sound off on the best guitar solos of all time.

The one I just heard was Devin Townsend - Deep Peace. Not fast, not hugely difficult, but very creative, imaginative, and lots of feeling.

others
Dream Theater - Lie. phenomenal solo by one of the best guitarists in the world (John Petrucci).
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb. 3 minute solo with loads of feeling. Pulse version is the best

edit: pulse version is the best except the duelling solos roger waters had going live at the ent cent.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 October 2003 15:36]

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: awesome guitar solos Sat, 11 October 2003 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Eagles - Hotel California.
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Sat, 11 October 2003 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven i would've thought you'd be suggesting 'November Rain' given your sig line.. Smile Now there's some feeling!

Speaking of feeling.. Fade to Black ('Tallica) ohhhhhhhh yeah.
I'd ad Eric Clapton's version of 'Crossroads', awesome stuff.

and they're not really solos, but the guitar 'bits' at the start of 'October Grey' (Screaming Jets) & 'Better be home soon' never fail to give me goosebumps..
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Sat, 11 October 2003 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I kinda skipped over gunners - didnt really occur to me, and didnt want to mention all the greats in one post and leave nothing for anyone else to mention Smile

agreed, hotel california, nov rain, and ftb are great.
ftb is played better when my friend does it. sped up. and more complicated Smile
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tallica- ONE

nuff said
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
its fairly good

not difficult enough to match it with the really technically brilliant solos, and not enough feeling to match it with the likes of comfy numb
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or any solo off the pink floyd live albums (with David Gilmour) at volume=11 (the level at which the stereo upstairs sound very good under the house)

tho the Roger Waters version of The Wall live in Berlin has some OK guitar work? (only time i ever thought cindy lauper was listenable)

and if you've seen the Guru's live, nothing's as big (and painful) as their fuck-this-is-loud!-wall-of-sound PA system + brad shepherd (?) guitar work. Saw them at Festival Hall once, my ears were ringing for weeks.

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lynard Skynard - Free Bird (the full 9 minute version)

has a 7 minute solo on it - heaven.

Matt

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so many good metal ones but ill put forth my favourite punk one - its the solo and the end of no fun at all's album "no straight angles". its the soft version of the song "what you say". i dont play guitar so i really cant say how good it is, it doesnt sound overly difficult but its my fav guitar solo of all time, including any metal solo.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy gawd im kicking myself i havent seen this thread earlier

Led Zeppelin - Achillies Last Stand (also make note of the drums)

i agree with crossroads and comfortably numb, i reckon also one of these days on the pulse album has a great slide guitar solo

Mr Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

More Clapton - Badge and White Room

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

on a side note i was at the White Stripes concert on friday nite (at the enmore), and i have to say Jack White absolutely blew me away. I totally under-estimated his talent. Was anyone else there?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also. Im watching Classic Albums on SBS right now, they are doing Dark Side Of the Moon, David Gilmore is such a champ.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gah I missed it!

crap Sad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
other than floyd and anything by Joe Satriani ( particularly surfing with the alien)

Brian May's invisble man wasnt too bad
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
comfortably numb and november rain have some awesome solos...

my favs....

talent: pantera - a new level, some metallica and slayer shit

feeling: pantera - 10s, floods, down - stone the crow, metallica - fade to black, nothing else matters.....ah ferkin heaps... i cant think of them all

any of you guys play guitar??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pantera, metallica and slayer for talent?!?

right.... Razz

edit: for the uglies human being with the worst haircut, and also possibly the fastest guitarist in the world, try searching kazaa for a video of "michael angelo" playing "speed kills"

its not huge on feeling, but the technical expertise is amazing

edit: for those of you not familiar with plkaying guitar, the sweet picking he does is amazingly hard. that's where it looks like hes strumming chords, but actually soloing

[Updated on: Sun, 12 October 2003 11:04]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 12 October 2003 21:00

pantera, metallica and slayer for talent?!?

right.... Razz

heheh, i thought this might start some controversy Laughing

well, they can play fast as a motherferker, but 90% of their solos dont do much for me. no emotion.

radiohead have some good shit, as do dream theatre, as do black sabbath, zepplin, etc Very Happy

ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Sun, 12 October 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
primus: les claypool solo on 'tommy the cat', sailing the seas of cheese version (i think)

i know its a bass solo, but i play bass, what can i say??

ps. there also and awesome drum solo on 'suck on this', jellykit i think the song was, man herb is one hell of a drummer
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about AC/DC thunder struck?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 12 October 2003 21:00

edit: for the uglies human being with the worst haircut, and also possibly the fastest guitarist in the world, try searching kazaa for a video of "michael angelo" playing "speed kills"

Oh my!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Is it just me or does it remind you of an 80's shootem up? Very Happy
Terra Cresta or something like that on the C=64.... haha
The good old days of midi.... Very Happy

For those without Kazaa, I've put it up here:
http://nark.is-a-geek.com/tmp/Michael Angelo - Speed Kills.wmv
6.72MB @ 256kbps = slow
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not rock or anything, but I still think the best guitar playing I have heard is from Tommy Emmanuel. Seriously amazing stuff. Went to a concert of his. Was thinking "how good can a concert be with just one guy and his guitars, no drums etc". Well, it was incredible. I left with my mouth wide open and a big grin on my face (is that even possible).
mr_ice55
Regular

April 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PANTERA - FLOODS
PANTERA - DOMINATION

And if u want creative solo's u should hear me play the guitar after ive smoked more weed then a brazilian drug lord.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, Ive got tommy doing some beatle stuff, and it is absolutely amazing.

you think to yourself yeah, thats 2 fairly talented guitarists

then you realise it's just him! Shocked

what did you think of the skill tho max? I know the guy's a knob, but damn hes quick!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, he's DAMN fast!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ice55 wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 14:07

PANTERA - FLOODS
PANTERA - DOMINATION

And if u want creative solo's u should hear me play the guitar after ive smoked more weed then a brazilian drug lord.

domination Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad sounds like metallica-one except it aint tapping Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2003 07:29]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PRIMUS - tommy the cat
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DOH! forgot to mention:

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldnt Stand The Weather / Lenny / and his version of Voodoo Chile.

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing / Money For Nothing

Lenny Kravitz - Believe (i dont think anyone has ever paid attention to this solo, i think its extroadinary)

Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song (yet to find another Ocean Colour Scene fan in the entire of Australia)

The Black Crowes - Remedy and My Morning Song (once again yet to find another black crowes fan in the entire of australia) Confused

Pearl Jam - Alive (yeah yeah we've all heard the song 100000 times, its a shame its so over played)

RATM - Wake up (simple but good)

RHCP - I Could Have Lied

The Tea Party - Winter Solstice / The Badger

Van Halen - 316

and dont get me started on Led Zeppelin Shocked

Finally can anyone name the famous guitarish song done buy Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatts? Think inbreed Laughing Laughing

nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 12:10

It's not rock or anything, but I still think the best guitar playing I have heard is from Tommy Emmanuel. Seriously amazing stuff...

same. i saw him a few months ago.. classical gas was just mind-blowing. he sounded like an orchestra of guitars!!
or something. Rolling Eyes

slightly OT, but I saw 'tallica in '98 last time they came out, & since then its been the best concert ive seen. then after the stones this year i'm honestly wavering.. they might be old, but god damn.. Shocked
interestng to see if metallica can regain the crown in january. especially from my crappy side-mounted nosebleed seats Crying or Very Sad

Quote:

PANTERA - FLOODS
PANTERA - DOMINATION

hell yeah.
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old Metallica stuff:

Dyers eve, 4 horsemen etc.

I reckon a guitar solo sounds better when theres an equally speed-influenced drummer involved Smile

cheers

tom.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicked wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 18:41

Caledwvech wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 12:10

It's not rock or anything, but I still think the best guitar playing I have heard is from Tommy Emmanuel. Seriously amazing stuff...

same. i saw him a few months ago.. classical gas was just mind-blowing. he sounded like an orchestra of guitars!!
or something. Rolling Eyes

slightly OT, but I saw 'tallica in '98 last time they came out, & since then its been the best concert ive seen. then after the stones this year i'm honestly wavering.. they might be old, but god damn.. Shocked
interestng to see if metallica can regain the crown in january. especially from my crappy side-mounted nosebleed seats Crying or Very Sad

Quote:

PANTERA - FLOODS
PANTERA - DOMINATION

hell yeah.

january will be my first metallica concert.... Evil or Very Mad
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
icon14.gif  Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 20:08

awesome... i hope you're pumped already Very Happy
last time i had a state swim meet the next morning (saturday), hardly slept, swam like shit, couldn't talk 'til about tuesday. magic.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicked wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 20:42

Evil_Foetus wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 20:08

awesome... i hope you're pumped already Very Happy
last time i had a state swim meet the next morning (saturday), hardly slept, swam like shit, couldn't talk 'til about tuesday. magic.

its gonna go off its nut, i cant wait Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dudes - new metallica sucks harder than anna nicole smith
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 23:42

but! *apparantly* their sets have nothing newer than black album, except for about TWO saint anger songs.....so, it could be fun fun fun Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome
maybe they realise their new album sucks balls

and that drum
oh my god - Ive never heard anything worse!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i liked the new album when i first got it, something "different"...but now i just dont listen to it. the lyrics and the snare are just toooo shitty.

and its not fast enough. lars is a fag too....hmmm i wont get started.

i hope its good, at least $90 of good Evil or Very Mad Laughing
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 13 October 2003 23:42

how to put this. Sounds weird, but everytime I put St Anger on i find myself looking forward to the next album, not listening to this one. Seems like they've made the over-emphatic (??) "we're heavy so f**k you!! Evil or Very Mad " statement, if they just relax & play their own shit the next one could be a huge return to form, with a balance of Bob softcockRock vs new aggro.
does that make any sense? is it obvious im trying to write a politics essay at the same time? Confused

oh, & completely agree about the drums, lars has always been the weakest link anyway, why turn him up?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can see what you mean there nicked.... its a step in the right direction...in the meantime, ill listen to justice and puppets. Very Happy
Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok back to solos... besides the above, and moving onto european death metal, some bands that always have nice solos are in flames, dimmu borgir, dissection and children of bodom, etc

oh, and what about megadeth people, that dave mustaine or whatever aint bad either!
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars is a wank, but he sure goes apeshit in the older songs! He does amazing things with the double kick drums. (Im a Justice listener myself, so Im kinda biased) Im with everyone in saying that they went downhill after Black though. Never liked Load etc..

Oh and Solos... Flea's bass solos or even when hes playing normally, brings a grin to my face. Long live the Best Bassist In The World.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2003 22:19]

ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Mon, 13 October 2003 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love early rhcp stuff, flea is an awesome bassist, but anthing later than one hot minute, they replaced their funk with poo.

but i still think les claypool's "how the fuck does he play all those notes at the same time?" wow factor makes him one on the best bassists.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for bassists - how about the primus dude, and john myung?

anyone who can bass solo in time with a lead guitar solo is pretty damn impressive
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 14 October 2003 12:02

how about the primus dude

les claypool is the bassist from primus
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there ya go
I know very little about the band, except that I like their music Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
les claypool (primus, draven) is a ferkin freak, as was cliff from old metallica (doh, i brought them up again) and whatsisname. flea. Very Happy

i watched a live video of tommy the cat, and by jeebus, les claypool really goes off his tits, its insane
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just listened to some Primus tracks, and yes Les Claypool rocks! They remind me of the group Scatterbrain (which isnt a bad thing!) somehow though, more farcical than fury. I like it Smile

cheers

tom.
x_p0se
Occasional Poster

July 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slash (gunners) - november rain.

metallica - one

antonio banderas in desperado - white tequila intro.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to see plenty of gunners fans Smile

edit: breakdown and estranged have awesome guitar work as well

[Updated on: Tue, 14 October 2003 04:56]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ages ago a mate made me a cd full of gunners video clips Very Happy Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watch the estranged one
*good*
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the one with like polici at the start or something? its a cool song, ill have to dig out the cd.....

ps how did the thesis turn out?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, thats the one
with the helicopters
and the oil tanker
and the limousine

it went .... ok
I had a nightmare last night I got 42% and failed, and had to go back to high school

probably caused by the fact tha tjust before I went to bed I remembered I left a few lines out of the results section
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm nightmares are gay

i dreamt last night i got pulled over and bretho-ed and blew "half-drunk" even though i wasnt drinking. i then proceeded to tell the polici man that i hadnt been drinking and there is an effect in which some people actually produce alcoholic gases or some shit in their stomach (true, i think)....i got off Very Happy

i take it you've already handed it in then? time to partae?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its handed in, all is done and finished

and yeah, sometimes high carbo diets can result in alcoholic gas bweing produced in the stomach

incidentally, Im now unemployed.
anyone hiring? Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happened? did you get the arse or leave yourself??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both Razz
I took 5 weeks off, and they said "there may not be a job for you when that 5 weeks is over"

and there isnt. was a temp position, so Im guessing I just got replaced by some other poor bastard desperate for money, or a lobotomised rat
either one will do the job well

[Updated on: Tue, 14 October 2003 12:17]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: awesome guitar solos Tue, 14 October 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm... well good luck gettin a new one. im hoping to get one now, i cut off my dreads after over 2 years and so im now more employer-friendly.

i have a have a job lined up with a dude dad knows- he drives a twin turbo JZA80. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
but thats been lined up for about 6 months now Rolling Eyes Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: awesome guitar solos Wed, 15 October 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys i hate to say it, cause metallica are one of my all time fav bands, but the reason they suck now and always will is JAMES. he sings like a cross between a 10 year old church boy and a country singer. fair enough, the music is obviously not as good as it used to be but even when they play their older stuff now, it sounds like shit cause of the way he sings.
and onto primus, doesnt les claypool play a 6 string bass? COOL Very Happy
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: awesome guitar solos Wed, 15 October 2003 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sometimes a 6 string fretless bass Shocked

http://www.ctbasses.com/les6Frl.jpg

man he's a goofy lookin dude Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2003 23:31]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: awesome guitar solos Thu, 16 October 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think everyone must have missed my 'tommy the cat' call way up in this discussion Sad

anyway - check out:

tommy the cat video:

http://frizzlefry.org/Primus%20-%20Tommy%20the%20C at.mpg

but for some serious Les action, check out "jerry was a race car driver" live:

http://frizzlefry.org/primus%20-%20jerry%20was%20a %20racecar%20driver%20(live@mtv_halloween_party)[LMRecs].mpg

[Updated on: Thu, 16 October 2003 03:03]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: awesome guitar solos Thu, 16 October 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
well rob, you just inducted another aussie fan for ocean colour scene Smile
and I love black crowes - specially she talks to angels, the piano version
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:bum
Next Topic:F*** BANKS!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:16:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076940059661865 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.