Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Turbo or Supercharge?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 09:14 Go to next message
Well that is the question, whats the pro's and con's of both.

Which costs more,
Which requires less engine work?

and what is a safe boost pressure before you would need to install stronger pistons, crank ect.

Personally i think Supercharger would be easier, cheaper and not so hard on the engine.

What are your thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly what are you attepting to turbo/supercharge ?

if its the charade - your easiest option would be sourcing a charade turbo motor - and settng that up ..

friend has one in NZ - runs ok - but its nothing compared to my gt4
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
er superchargers cost more
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you could just sell the charagde - and make the differenced up to buy a st165 or 185 Smile

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The turbo charades are a 1L 3 cylinder engine, mine is a 1.3L 4 Cylinder engine, I would like to turbo my car that way when people look at it they just see it as a standard charade with wheels and exhaust and no idea whats under the bonnet.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, with the bonnet closed it'd take a keen ear to work out what exactly is under the bonnet...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they might be only 1l - but are they built better to handle boost ?

to boost yours - id say youd still need to look at strengthening yiur nternals - unless you were happy with 4-6 psi or such.

Does the cost of rebuilding the motor to suit turbos - justify itself - Or would you be better off getting one with a turbo motor in it ?

Just throwing ideas at you matey - no offence to the charade - they are fun - but my oppinion is therews better small cars within the price range of charade better suited to forced induction ( laser tx3 be one , st165 be another )
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Differance is i already have a charade so i'm not going to sell it to buy myself a thrashed 2nd hand turbo car, i've already spent $3,000 on suspension nothing is standard.

I'm already upgrading the gear box, and replacing the ECU and rebuilding the engine,

Was converting the car to rally spec but changed my mind, and because of that i no longer need to keep the engine close to stock so i thought i may as well chuck a small turbo or supercharger on it,

not interested in making it run on huge level of boost just enough to make it get up and go a little better.

One of my dream cars has always been a GT4, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have aleady got.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Tue, 14 October 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say go the turbo.
Advantages - Ability for more outright power, huge choice of turbos, mount it wherever it fits given that you'll need a custom manifold, more common and so more knowledge about them on small 4cyls, can adjust boost electronically.
Dis - Need to make a custom manifold.

As opposed to a SC,
Adv - good low RPM response, can use your current extractors
Dis - Need to mount it up and run a fat belt to it, not very efficient at high RPM, not many small superchargers around (although I could just be ignorant).

Choice of turbo would be very important for such a small engine, so do some homework and ask around.

Hen
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Wed, 15 October 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could run 4psi kind safely on a stock engine. Because the car is so light, that small amount of power difference should make a huge difference.

I'd go with the turbo. Less stuffing around, and it's more efficient.
$450 ta22
Regular

February 2003
Re: Turbo or Supercharge? Wed, 15 October 2003 13:10 Go to previous message
If you have acess 2 a lathe i say go charger then you can play with different sized pulleys but if not turbo there is a good sized ball bering turbo that came on saabs that might suit your engine it goes 2 5 pound stock if your interested ill find out more details on it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg/3tg rebuild torque specs
Next Topic:What wheels?????????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 07:35:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050930976867676 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.