Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Celica ZR Wed, 15 October 2003 00:45 Go to next message
Is there anyone who owns/knows alot about the 5th generation celica ZR? Cos i need to find out sum info on it before i buy one. post a reply or email me on snigglet20@hotmail.com

Send a private message to this user    
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
---- 22 views and not one post...... c'mon guys get ya act together and help me out.....please?????
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there the new ugly ones ay?
they are supposively pretty slow but if thats the car you like buy it dude dont be a sheep and get an ae86 Laughing jk

personally if i had the choice between a new celica & a supra id go the supra but here you go amazing what you find on the internet Rolling Eyes

Toyota Celica

1.8 Litre Manual SX Coupe

Test Date: April 2000

At a glance

Best Features Sporty driving characteristics
Six speed manual transmission
Comfortable, supportive front seats
Dramatic new styling
Worst Features Limited rear occupant space and cabin head room
Vision to rear
PULP fuel requirement
Price of tested vehicle $40,950
Average fuel use 8.6 litres/100km
Acceleration (0-100km/h) 9.6
Warranty Three years, 100,000 km
NRMA Security Rating
0-110(high score best) 76.5

Review

Aside from the turbocharged GT-4 models that were around in the early '90s, Celicas have never really been noted for their hard edged sporting appeal.

Now the new Celica has arrived to change that image. Under its dramatic sharp-edged cab-forward styling, the new Celica is smaller and lighter than its predecessors, and it has an all-new Yamaha-built high-tech 1.8 litre engine that pumps out 40 per cent more power, despite being smaller in capacity (the superseded Celica engine was 2.2 litres).

Add to that combination a new six speed manual gearbox, a new and improved suspension system, and better brakes, and the result is a well qualified sports machine compared to the previous Celicas, which were generally regarded as fairly meek and mild coupe cruisers.

As with most genuine sports cars, the new Celica requires a fair degree of commitment and involvement from the driver to get the best out of it.

The most important job for the driver is to keep the engine revving in a suitable rpm range. With maximum power developed at 7600 rpm and maximum torque at a dizzy 6800 rpm, it's necessary to keep the variable valve timing engine spinning fairly fast if you want to tap into the Celica's true performance potential.

Luckily, the six speed manual transmission is a delight to use, so frequent gearchanging is not the chore it could otherwise be. Of course, there's always the automatic version, but don't expect the same levels of performance.

The new Celica comes in two versions - SX and ZR - both with the same engine and both offering the choice of the six speed manual or a four speed automatic with electronic shift buttons on the steering wheel.

At the time of writing, prices were $40,950 for the SX manual and $46,330 for the ZR manual. Add $1740 for automatic transmission. Air conditioning is not standard on either model and will cost you another $2258.

Standard features on both models include dual front airbags, force-limiting front seatbelt pretensioners, alloy wheels (15 inch on SX, 16 inch on ZR) with V-speed rated tyres, six speaker sound system with CD player (single on SX, six-disc in-dash changer on ZR), cruise control, power steering, power windows and exterior mirrors, remote central locking, 50/50 split fold rear seat and an integrated engine immobiliser.

In addition to items mentioned, the ZR has front side airbags, anti-lock brakes with electronic brake force distribution, front projector-type fog lights and drilled alloy 'sports' pedals. The ZR also has an electric moonroof which is listed as a delete option.

Optional equipment for the SX includes the moonroof, anti-lock brakes and front side airbags, or the combination of all three. The ABS and airbags package costs $1690 and the moonroof adds another $1500.

As far as accommodation is concerned, the new Celica is best regarded as a 2 + 2 coupe. Up front, there's plenty of leg room and occupants are seated in a pair of sports seats that provide an excellent combination of support and comfort. Headroom is limited, with extra intrusion into head space from the optional moonroof that was fitted to the SX test car.

Rear space is very limited in both leg and head room, restricting its suitability to small children or parcels. The rear side windows are fixed, thus adding to the closed-in feel in the rear compartment. Luggage space is good for this class of vehicle when the rear seat is erect, with quite a large area available if all or half or the rear seat is dropped down.

True to fine sports car tradition, the Celica provides a very good relationship between driver and the controls, steering wheel and seat. The instruments have orange facings which I don't personally like too much, nor am I fan of the digital fuel and temperature gauges.

The cab-forward design provides drivers with a good view of the road ahead, however backing the Celica is not easy, due to severe vision restrictions to the rear.
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, cheers heaps for the effort of looking up the specs of the new ZR. but thats not the generatio im looking for. its the 5th generation ZR celica. u know?? 1990-1993! hehehe. thanx anyway man, but im after the 1992 celica ZR. jap import. i know its a 2.0L DOHC 16 valve EFI and thats it. anyway one else who can help?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think there was a ZR version of the Celcia sold in Japan. It's like the current version the Celica (ZZT231) are known as the ZR here but in America is the GTS and the SX is the GT.

I know that there was the Base Celica and then the SX Celica then the GT4...

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man there was a 1992 ZR celica sold in japan, cos when i checked it out, all the labels n shit in the car are written in japanese, and the manuals would be in japanese also. The ZR is a 2.0L engine as to the normal SX's which are 2.2L.

The ZR celica's of generations 5 and 6 are rare as mutha fucka. cos they are imported from japan, but there are no specs on the web for the ZR in english.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not 100 % but werent all celicas imported...

because they dont make them in australia....

Confused
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i've always been under the assumption that celica's are/were manufactured in australia (eg. SX). but anyway.......... does anyone know if to register an import (through RTA, or VicRoads etc.), does it need to be complied? because i was thinking that if u don't need the car to be roadworthy u can still register it, and it would be the same for a car not complied.

in other words is there anyway to register an uncomplied import? or do VicRoads, or RTA make it compulsory for the import to be complied first and then to register?
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and another thing......... Drift Pig reckons that the compliance plate for the 1992 Celica ZR (Jap Import) is in the boot under the carpet and not in the engine bay. Is this true? does anyone own an import with the plate situated there?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very few Toyota's are manufactured in Australia; in fact I think it's only the Camry and Avalon. But let's not confuse the issue of its place of manufacture with its place of original sale, as this is what determines whether or not it's an "import".
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heaps of the new cars have more than one compliance plate, alot of the new cars these days have them in the boot
justin
Fenix
Newcomer

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 16 October 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the Jap ZR version the same as the Euro GTi and the UK GTR Celicas 5th gen. That is with the 3S-GE or does it have a 3S-FE.
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Fri, 17 October 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, im kinda deciding not to get the ZR 1992 celica, mainly due to insurance, parts, and not being quite sure if the vehicle is complied. so im thinking of getting a 1992 sx coupe (not liftback). i checked it out, and the body is perfect, but the engine has a bit of rust on it.

Is this a problem? cos its only done 125,000kms. is it worth buying, or better off leaving it?
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Mon, 20 October 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone help me please?
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Wed, 22 October 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone at all?
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Celica ZR Wed, 22 October 2003 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where's the rust???

Is it on the exhaust manifold??
if so good luck finding a car that doesnt have a rusty looking exhaust manifold!!
esp of its cast iron!

Cam
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: Celica ZR Thu, 23 October 2003 04:22 Go to previous message
wheres da rust?? hehehe i know nothing about the mechanics of cars, but i know when u eft up the hood, there is rust on some of the metallic parts closest to u when u open it. its at the very front of the engine bay, on a couple of the metallic parts, dunno what they are. what should i do, and are these big problems?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wheel balancing
Next Topic:diff width.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:47:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074279308319092 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.