Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zedzed
Occasional Poster

June 2002
icon7.gif  Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 00:57 Go to next message
About 2 years ago I had a oversized crank pulley fitted to my 4agze. I was told it was a HKS. I was getting 10psi so i never questioned it.

Yesterday i pulled it out to replace it with a larger one only to find "this is the funny bit" it was a 175mm CUSCO !

Can u believe it.

My only problem now is why am i only getting 10psi.
  Send a private message to this user    
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put a smaller pulley on your super charger and you will get more boost. Putting a bigger pulley on your crank will also make your other pulley's turn faster (i think??) which wont be too good for your alternator etc.

Jamie.
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be a few things...

What engine have you got, AFM or MAP?
Have you disabled the abv?
Your belt isn't slipping?
Have you done something to the intake?
Could be your guage is a bit out.

Most people get around 12 psi with the 175mm pulley. A bit less if there is a front mount intercooler. Yeah the bigger crank pulley makes your water pump spin faster but isn't too much of a problem.
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of slipping belts... if I was getting belt slip around 6500, would that mean that I'm also getting minor slip further down the rev range and loosing boost?

-Andrew
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whiteGZE wrote on Wed, 24 July 2002 5:27 PM

Could be a few things...

Yeah the bigger crank pulley makes your water pump spin faster but isn't too much of a problem.

Sorry but i gotta disagree with that statement, speeding up the water pump makes the pump less effecient, thus more chance of over heating which is always a bad thing cos heat=less HP

Cam
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats correct! Because the crank pulley is driving all the other pulleys it affects them all. By changing just the s/c pulley you are only affecting it as it is driven (not driving!)

Jamie.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure Matt understands all that, he's probably going on the history of bigger pulleys on ZEs.
I've never heard of a ZE suffering from overheating problems with bigger pulleys, and it seems the majority of aftermarket pulleys for ZEs are crank pulleys, although there are some smaller charger pulleys. I think it would be very rare for a pulley to adversly affect a ZEs temp, if it did, it would prolly come down to some other problem in the cooling system that only just managed with a smaller pulley.

Zed, have you ever suffered from overheating probs?
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah in everyday driving thats correct, but if the car is getting used at high RPMs constantly then a smaller water pump pulley is a good start for overcoming overheating problems
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Funny Story Wed, 24 July 2002 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Joel Smile
That is exactly what I meant by that statement.

Of course I understand that a faster spinning water pump can lead to lack of coolant flow through the engine thus causing to overheat.

My point being that majority of people with the 4agze engines are running the 175mm crank pulley and I have not heard of overheating problems and some have run them over 3 years. If this modification constantly caused engines to overheat then they wouldn't be so popular.

Something else to think about is that many modifications that increase the hp of an engine will lead to a greater likelihood of a component failure. So yes there is that extra possibilty of overheating.

Mr TA22 you incorrectly stated that the alternator would be spinning faster. This is not true as the alt/ac/ps are on a spearate belt.

The reason people rarely use a smaller s/c pulley is because there is an electromagnetic clutch behind it that does not make a smaller pulley easily adapted unless you scrap it.

Raskas I think you meant to say a larger water pump pulley. Yes there are larger water pump pulleys available but if you fit the 175mm pulley there is no room for one.

zedzed
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Funny Story Thu, 25 July 2002 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not 100% which one it is, AFM or MAP, has coil packs with the raised pully on the SC, i think its the afm. Running aftermarket EMS so i dont have the afm connected. Looking into the ABV and getting a new belt put on (really tight i hope)at the moment.
zedzed
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Funny Story Thu, 25 July 2002 03:18 Go to previous message
Considering its been on there for a couple of years now without me even knowing, never had a overheat problem, and i use it everyday, actually have done quite a few km with it on.

Would love to find a smaller sc pulley, but havent found much info on them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Pinging and Backfiring!?
Next Topic:GT4 Gearboxes in Ford Laser TX3s?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 04:32:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041689872741699 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.