Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

roll cages Wed, 24 July 2002 15:37 Go to next message
just one question : Are roll-bars/roll cages street legal?
  Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: roll cages Wed, 24 July 2002 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are two answers to this question: yes, and no.

If you have a roll cage for race, it has to be welded, not bolted. If you have one on the street, is had to be bolted, can't be welded. If you have one, you can not have back seat passangers (but I have seen this). If you have a roll cage, you should use a harness, and padding. Use of a harness is illegal on the road without normal seat belts.

I say build the car for your own use, to whatever safety standard you value your life. Don't act silly and you will never get pulled over by the cops - simple.
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: roll cages Thu, 25 July 2002 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like jonny said Yes and No

I currently have one in my car, and as a half cage it is legal, but with the front legs and intrusion bars bolted in it's not.
Plus the car has now been rego'd as a two seater.

As for the belts there are harness that comply you just pay S@*t loads for them as they have to be mounted right as I found out.

There are many things that limit what you can do. There are ADR's on what you can have. Email me on shane.cross@syd.com.au and I will forward you the spec's I have for NSW.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 July 2002 01:52]

raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: roll cages Fri, 26 July 2002 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you arent gonna use a vehicle to race/rally why would you want a rollcage?
just remember they are desighned to be used with a raceseat/harness and most importantly a helmet, if you have an accident without all this extra gear that cage is more likely to kill you than save you

Cam
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: roll cages Fri, 26 July 2002 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what i understand a roll cage is fine and legal unless it obstructs any more vission then you would have without it, as i have a friend who had one in a gemi and it was perfectly legal as it was installed perfectly so it didn't obstruct any vission, as for a race seat yup legal except you have to have an engineers certificate to say its installed properly which is easy to get providing you just use the exsisting bolt holes and so forth for the original seat and harness it to is legal providing you have an engineer's certificate to say its installed properly, now i find all these lawas pretty stupid for normal road drivng cars as you can have all this done and run it in car club events ect without needs all these engineers certificates yet for road you do, why's that?

but driving with a harness on for every day driving can be a pain in the arse as it greatly restricts movability
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: roll cages Fri, 26 July 2002 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IIRC the NSW RTA site has a tech document somewhere that describes how much clearance from the seat there has to be, and the method used to measure it. If I find it I'll post the link.
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: roll cages Sat, 27 July 2002 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im going to need a full welded roll cage not only for safety, but for chassis rigidity, when im finished replacing my panels with fibreglass. I dont think simple seam welding is going to cut it in my RA23. (im in QLD)

What bothers me, is johhny's post ... which more or less says you cant have a circuit legal car on the road ... which is exactly what i want. Did I mis-comprehend this?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: roll cages Sat, 27 July 2002 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After making a quick phone call to the RTA yesterday, I was informed that you can have a rollcage welded in! But you cant have the side intrusion bars fitted! If you want them they need to be the bolt in type that you fit when your at the track!
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: roll cages Sat, 27 July 2002 06:34 Go to previous message
i think the moral of the story is that a roll cage is street legal providing it doesn't restrict visability and doesn't restrict your ability to get in and out of the motor car. you can still take passangers in the back unless the roll cage restricts the passengers from being able to get in and out. which in a celica its bloody hard enough to get in the back as it is i can't imagine what it would be like with a roll cage too.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Distributor Vacuum Advance
Next Topic:water bottle for sprinter... what should i use??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 08:23:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048542022705078 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.