Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
icon5.gif  1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Mon, 20 October 2003 23:33 Go to next message
Do 1GGTE's have twin waste gates or is the second waste gate not really a waste gate?

And...

If there isn't two waste gates, I assume the second one is opened by the pressure build up of the wastegate on the front turbo?

And..

If this is the case is it normal to hear the first waste gate release and the second with a slight delay?

Any input greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Cheers Kirk
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Mon, 20 October 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both turbos on a 1G-GTE have a conventional internal wastegate.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it's not good to hear them release at slightly different intervals then?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you still have the wastgates hooked up to the compressor casing as per factory, then it sounds like one of them is a working a little harder than the other. It won't affect the inlet side of your engine but it will mean that the exhaust pressure the engine sees will be different between front 3 and back 3 cylinders.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So by going on what you just said Anthony I'm assuming there is another way to hook up the waste gates instead of off the compressor casing?

If so what's the benefits and how is it done?

Cheers Kirk

[Updated on: Tue, 21 October 2003 03:53]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to run a boost controller, you will need to use a common pressure source fot the two turbo's. Alternatively if you want a couple of extra pounds, just pick up the pressure from the inlet manifold and hook up the wastegates via a T piece.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to have to do that as I have a boost controller on order from Paul.

Is it relatively easy to do?

Cheers Kirk
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup a monkey could do it blind folded. Having said that it is pretty tight around the turbo's, so there is every chance that
you will skin a knuckle in the process.

It would be a good idea to get your turbo's checked out if they are running like that before you put the boost controller on. It sounds like one of them could be getting a bit old.

Take off the pipe between the compressor housing and the wastegate on each turbo.

Block up where the pipe was on the compressor housing. I used the existing pipe and a suitable sized bolt to bolck it. Put a hose clamp on it so it doesn't go ballistic on you.

Using new hose, connect each of the wastegates to a T piece. Most people use brass but it doesn't really matter so long as it won't fall apart under pressure.

Connect the third leg of your T piece to your boost controller and connect the boost controller to a nipple on one of your manifolds.

Make sure you have put hose clamps around all joins so the pipes don't blow off.

Adjust the boost controller in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Wastegates or wastegate Tue, 21 October 2003 05:42 Go to previous message
Thanks Anthony, will get them checked out sooner rather than later.

Cheers Kirk
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Timing on 16v 4age HELP ME PLEASE.
Next Topic:P.S.I and engine wear.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 06:35:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10495781898499 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.