Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:29

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:16

But I just dont like people that come on here and the first thing the do is insult other people or try and rubbish their posts!

ha, a hypocrit at his best, perhaps you should recap what you said about me suggesting a bad earth, its still in your signature now, you know that is complete bullshit,the shit some people say and do amazes me.

In the original thread where you started your crap with me I simply asked why every electrical problem was a bad earth! This was in no way directed at you and if my memory serves me correctly you hadn't even posted in that thread at that time!
Now for some reason you felt that this was directed at you! I did not rubbish anyone at all I just simply asked why!
So why did you start all this crap? Now whats the bet that you dont answer this question Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have come on this forum to get ideas and tips of others and suggest ideas and tips to others, that is what this forum is about.

But every time a make a post that you have seen, you have to reply back giving me shit or making some crap sarcastic remark, havent you??

I am just simply trying to use this forum for help and to give others help, I dont want to know what you think of my post, go and winge to your mum or send me a pm if it distresses you so much you have to metion it.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:32

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:29

ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:25

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:03

Mate your kind have been on this forum before and they did not last, Being the scum you are you will not last either! It beats me why you even waste the bandwidth by coming onto these forums because everything you say is just shit or an insult. But if you must, just keep going with your crap and you will be gone like the rest Very Happy

You treat this forum as if you have no life, I simply reply to threads giving my opinion or trying to help out and all I recieve from you is bullshit or some sarcastic lame remark.

Whenever I make a post in a thread where you not around, no one whines and whinges like you they take my thoughts and ideas into consideration instead of blasting out shit like they know everything.

For you, you need to get out once in a while and stop treating this forum as the only thing within your life, I simply made a post stating someones remark was 'lame' and you went crazy.......understand this is only a forum on the internet, no need to say what you said over a small remark, especially when you make remarks that are worse.

Maybe your posts wouldnt be so "lame" if you could express your "thoughts" in a way that wasnt insulting and not by saying someone elses throughts were lame!
Or is it just that your english skills dont extend that far?

You tell me what his fuckin post was all about, it said people cannot afford uni, whereas it is clear as day that 99% of people can if they want to. To me that is lame ok, it is a forum, a forum is where ideas are given, get over it.

Can you not read? He did not say that people cant afford to go to Uni, He asked what about people that cant afford it!
Learn to read!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:39

I have come on this forum to get ideas and tips of others and suggest ideas and tips to others, that is what this forum is about.

But every time a make a post that you have seen, you have to reply back giving me shit or making some crap sarcastic remark, havent you??

I am just simply trying to use this forum for help and to give others help, I dont want to know what you think of my post, go and winge to your mum or send me a pm if it distresses you so much you have to metion it.

Answer the simple question! Why did you start all your crap in the first place?
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:36

But I just dont like people that come on here and the first thing the do is insult other people or try and rubbish their posts!

ha, a hypocrit at his best, perhaps you should recap what you said about me suggesting a bad earth, its still in your signature now, you know that is complete bullshit,the shit some people say and do amazes me.

In the original thread where you started your crap with me I simply asked why every electrical problem was a bad earth! This was in no way directed at you and if my memory serves me correctly you hadn't even posted in that thread at that time!
Now for some reason you felt that this was directed at you! I did not rubbish anyone at all I just simply asked why!
So why did you start all this crap? Now whats the bet that you dont answer this question Rolling Eyes

I quoted your remark about earths and as you placed a few 'fucks' in there. I replied in a placid way simply saying 'perhaps because that is the most easiest and common problem associated with earths'. Then you decided it was time to get up me. What was that all about, to me you started the crap cause clearly I didnt in that remark.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:43

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:36

Then you decided it was time to get up me. What was that all about, to me you started the crap cause clearly I didnt in that remark.

I really think your mistaken and you should go find the original thread and re-read it!
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:40

[
Can you not read? He did not say that people cant afford to go to Uni, He asked what about people that cant afford it!
Learn to read!

That is exactly why it is lame, and yes I can read perfectly well, perhaps better than you, because I believe it is lame because there is no reason anyone cannot afford Uni, government assisstance alone and paying Uni course by HECS could get anyone through uni.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:46

[
Learn to read!

government assisstance alone and paying Uni course by HECS could get anyone through uni.

And the government will pay my pension when I retire Rolling Eyes
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 October 2003 17:28

Why the fuck is every electrical problem talked about on this forum automatically diagnosed as being a bad earth Confused

Anyway what type of relay are you using? Can you get a photo of the relay? Preferably the side which shows the internal circuit so I can talk you through the wiring?

ta23 wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 12:28

Why the fuck is every electrical problem talked about on this forum automatically diagnosed as being a bad earth Confused

Perhaps because that is one of the simplest and most obvious things to fix that is associated with burning wires...

Cool1 wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 12:54

Perhaps because that is one of the simplest and most obvious things to fix that is associated with burning wires...

Ok now explain why having a bad earth would cause wires to burn out?

ta23 wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 17:04

As he has said -
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 16:52

if an earth wire is say, perhaps grossly undersized (i have seen this first hand on more than one occasion!)

Also I have had experiences with burnt wires on my Haltech EMS, when I contacted the guy that wired up my EMS for me he pointed out that it is a bad earth, soon as earth fixed, no more burnt wires. Is this good enough for you or do you know better cool1?

If this mechanic pointed this out over the phone it is obviously a common problem which is easily fixed, I believe that is why people suggest having bad earths when this type of electrical problem occurs.

Cool1 wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 18:32

As he has said -

if an earth wire is say, perhaps grossly undersized (i have seen this first hand on more than one occasion!)

Also I have had experiences with burnt wires on my Haltech EMS, when I contacted the guy that wired up my EMS for me he pointed out that it is a bad earth, soon as earth fixed, no more burnt wires. Is this good enough for you or do you know better cool1?

No thats not good enough, it doesnt explain a damm thing! Maybe you should re-read the guys original post! There is no way his problem is caused by a bad earth!
I think you should go back to college and redo your electronics course Rolling Eyes

To me it looks as though you started this whole argument, if you like point out to me where i was aggresive, because I think your last post was the one that hit it off
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent you guys decided who's got the bigger dick yet? Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing You missed a one or a few of your posts Laughing
You were the first one to make the "i'm so much better than you" remark!
Would you like me to quote it here?
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:48

ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:46

[
Learn to read!

government assisstance alone and paying Uni course by HECS could get anyone through uni.

And the government will pay my pension when I retire Rolling Eyes

It is common knowledge you get a Uni degree to further uplift or help begin a career, in doing so you usually get paid more, for the max $30000(most cases a lot less) you spend doing uni, you earn that back and usually more with the job you get, even if you get a poor paying job, I am sure a pension would still be foreseeable.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 13:57]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:55

Laughing You missed a one or a few of your posts Laughing
You were the first one to make the "i'm so much better than you" remark!
Would you like me to quote it here?

Goto the original post now and let me know what I have missed out...please I would love to know!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"max $30k"? Smile

I wish
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought so cool1 Laughing

Cant you just admit you are wrong and please drop this subject, I am over it.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:56

It is common knowledge you get a Uni degree to further uplift or help begin a career, in doing so you usually get paid more, for the max $30000(most cases a lot less) you spend doing uni, you earn that back and usually more with the job you get, even if you get a poor paying job, I am sure a pension would still be foreseeable.

you obviously still live with your parents Rolling Eyes

especially with the new shit that the governments trying to implement, its damn hard to live, study, work and go to full time uni.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:02

thought so cool1 Laughing

Cant you just admit you are wrong and please drop this subject, I am over it.

I'm sorry I cant type as fast as you Rolling Eyes

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck that
its hard for me and I am living with my parents!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

All ok so far!

As he has said -

If this mechanic pointed this out over the phone it is obviously a common problem which is easily fixed, I believe that is why people suggest having bad earths when this type of electrical problem occurs.

See the bold print?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:03

especially with the new shit that the governments trying to implement, its damn hard to live, study, work and go to full time uni.

Your not doubting him are you? Rolling Eyes
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:12

speakafreaka wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:03

Your not doubting him are you? Rolling Eyes

not at all.. im outright telling him that he lives with his parents because theres no way he could say that uni is affordable without having mummy buy you food and clothes Laughing

BTW.. theres no way that pensions will still be around when we retire. Thats what compulsory super contributions are for... if you run out of money.. tough! you die!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:17

not at all.. im outright telling him that he lives with his parents because theres no way he could say that uni is affordable without having mummy buy you food and clothes Laughing

BTW.. theres no way that pensions will still be around when we retire. Thats what compulsory super contributions are for... if you run out of money.. tough! you die!

Oh man! Now you've gone and done it Shocked
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i cant really talk.. its why i moved home!
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:10

All ok so far!

As he has said -

See the bold print?

Yep i see the bold print, if a type of question like that insults you over a forum you have some serious issues.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:20

well i cant really talk.. its why i moved home!

I can tell you have isssues in your life though, the shit you continue to speak amazes me

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 14:24]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It didnt insult me, I'm just saying that you made the first smart arse comment!
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ner ner
takes one to know one
ner ner
i know you are but what am i?

Razz
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:24

It didnt insult me, I'm just saying that you made the first smart arse comment!

Ok then, I'm am so sorry I made the first smart arse comment, can you get over it already....
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 00:24

ner ner
takes one to know one
ner ner
i know you are but what am i?

Razz

ok then........
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
random quote to end this crap
"Ive been thinking with my guts since I was 14. And frankly, Ive come to the conclusion that my guts have shit for brains"
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
degrees dont always garentee jobs

you should see the ammount of law students who have a degree under their belt go through the dole queues at centrelink. no kick arse grades, no articles, no articles and you aint ever gonna be a lawyer

a uni degree in some instances is just a way to piss away 3-5 years.

a couple of friends of mine(one who's completed 2 and a half degrees Razz) have pretty much said tertiary education teaches you to learn, gives you some basic skills, and lets you fuck about for a couple of years.
most real learning comes in the work place which is why i suppose alot i'm starting to notice alot of degrees need work experience for to attain the degree.

what does piss me off are people who think lesser\more of people who go to uni other than tafe(or vice versa)

anywho
chances are somones already posted shit but yeah....too early in the morning to read it ALL and i'm depressed, pay day and i had to watch half it go in bills already *winges*
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 23 October 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 04:54

you should see the ammount of law students who have a degree under their belt go through the dole queues at centrelink. no kick arse grades, no articles, no articles and you aint ever gonna be a

if someone goes to uni and does law/comms eng/comp eng/psych etc etc and expects to go through it with a 60-70% avg, and walk out of uni into a job, they are dreaming and shouldnt have wasted their money
to get a job in those fields (and many others) you need at least 80% if not 90% avg, coz companies only want the best students.

now, with power eng, there is such a shortage of ppl with these degrees (in perth there is anyway, and i'm pretty sure there is over australia), that it doesnt matter what score you get, whether u do honours, etc etc, you will almost be guarenteed a job
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 23 October 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TP's go to uni Evil or Very Mad
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 23 October 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TP's?
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 23 October 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TP's means Teachers Pet
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 23 October 2003 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last year i did both full time tafe and part time uni. I finished the diploma at tafe and moved on to full time uni this year. TAFE was bloody easy for a diploma in IT (network engineering), i had 9 hours a week and never any homework. Uni is pretty full on but it is shit loads more fun!

Also, if you don't have the grades to get in to uni just do a TAFE course. i did 1 years tafe and that got me credit for one years uni. TAFE cost me $250, uni would have cost me $6000. I also finish a 3 year degree in 2.5 years cause i did part time uni while i was full time tafe.

Overall I rekon TAFE (in IT anyway) is a shit load easier than Uni but Uni degrees seem to be worth more.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 23 October 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait till you get to 3rd year Surprised

Can either be really hard (the subjects definately are harder), or even more fun as its mainly electives so you can chose what to go into.
nup_4ac
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sun, 02 November 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did an apprenticeship (99% off one anyway)
and as and telecommunications technician i earnt about 42k
plus it was government railway related so i pretty much did nuthin! i missed that job

i quit and only need to do 2 modules for me paper thing
but those modules are boring as fuck and dont relate to any IT stuff i wanna do.
i now work at an IT training college place and it was only my IT experience in the past job that got me this one, even though i was against uni and mcse yokels.

i didnt go to uni cause i was lazy, and tv/pc was better than homework plus a week before my hsc exams i hooked up with this cutie in the year below. and everyone knows that orgasms are better than logarithms

i think i left out some punctuation so uhhh . . , !! ? ! %$@$# C A .. , " " yeah.

ooops edity edity ta23 said the tafe peoples came to his school recently, so yeah he prolly is still at home, Live it up kid, it doesnt get any better than that!

[Updated on: Sun, 02 November 2003 07:59]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sun, 02 November 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell mea bout it - if you're a psych student and dont get a good gpa, and do postgrad studies, the degree qualifies you for precisely DICK.
you need 4th year qualifications, plus either a masters or 2 years practice + 2 years study
considering 220 people did my 3rd year subjects, and about half that are doing 4th year, I wonder what those other 100 people are doing with themselves.

main bonus with psych being, once you have those 6 years of study, you've shwon commitment to make it thru there, and it's easy to get an entry level job. not necessarily in the field you want, but that's why you work entry level for a few years, do well, then move.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sun, 02 November 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is still going?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sun, 02 November 2003 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 02 November 2003 16:31

I wonder what those other 100 people are doing with themselves.

from what i hear, anybody that doesnt get invited back for 4th year psych, goes and does one year of dip ed, and becomes a teacher

it could be a rumour, but its what ive heard
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sun, 02 November 2003 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 17:12

We have discussed various aspects of our courses, and it's clear that at TAFE there is more concentration on the technical and real world aspects of the field, whereas at uni we concentrate on ALL aspects of the field - so that any graduate has the ability to work in any aspect of the given field with a level of expertise and experience.

Not having a go at anyone as I know that Karl is a practical resource for a lot of things and will probably end up as the sort of engineer that they all should be. But why are uni engineers SO impractical and not at all hands on?

Seems that uni trains thinkers, TAFE trains dooers.

Waiting for petrol and matches to be applied......
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 03 November 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant really comment, except that the only mining engineers I've met are all very practical. I always enjoyed a joke about "the architect designs the building, the engineer tells him all the reasons it wont work" Razz
have a mate who moved to WA, and now blows things up all day *sigh* - that's the life for me

[Updated on: Mon, 03 November 2003 00:39]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 03 November 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Mon, 03 November 2003 07:27

We have discussed various aspects of our courses, and it's clear that at TAFE there is more concentration on the technical and real world aspects of the field, whereas at uni we concentrate on ALL aspects of the field - so that any graduate has the ability to work in any aspect of the given field with a level of expertise and experience.

Not having a go at anyone as I know that Karl is a practical resource for a lot of things and will probably end up as the sort of engineer that they all should be. But why are uni engineers SO impractical and not at all hands on?

Seems that uni trains thinkers, TAFE trains dooers.

Waiting for petrol and matches to be applied......

Are you trying to say that Uni grads are all wankers?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 03 November 2003 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, to that I'd reply "tafe trains the people uni wont take"

neither of them being true, but both casting a narrow light on a couple of people that fit the generalisation
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 04 November 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not mentioned hands being applied to genitalia.

It's just that, and this applies to the engineers I've worked with. They take everything they do as absolute and without question. The reality of practical work on the job site isn't secondary it's not even a consideration.

Parts get designed and made only to be found to be unsuitable as the reasoning of the workers, in this case divers, who have to try to apply the work, as I have in some cases 50 meters down in zero visability, isn't listened to. Until he see's that it won't work on the cameras. I have seen cost blowouts of 10's of thousand's due to this and weeks added to jobs.

Often it's when they are threatened with being thrown in to do it themselves they listen to reason.

/end rant and my part in this discussion. just expressing dissatisfaction experienced in my profession with more than one.

EDIT: I've been to uni too!

[Updated on: Tue, 04 November 2003 10:23]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 04 November 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie, what you say is true!

but that has always been the case and will always BE the case. You have people who do it with their hands, and make the part fit, yet couldn't design it without going to Uni, and those who have the unenviable task of making a perfect part without actually having the hands on knowledge of how best to make it fit.

Symbiotic relationship I say! Very Happy It is good when you get an engineer who has spent a year working in his field just doing the hands-on stuff.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know I said it was my last but I had to post today's comment.

"Can't we just cut the floor bearer and joist to make it work?"

Mad Rolling Eyes
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you seem to be forgetting that there are 2 types of engineers out there
there are academics, and there are engineers

engineers have been brought up from a kid to act and think like an engineer, and have always done things hands on
they usually get through uni with very avg results, but when it comes to doing a job, they have a very good concept of what works in the real world.

academics are ppl that have been brought up by accountants and clerks, and never have done anything hands on
they breeze through uni with the best marks (as they know ALL the theory backwards and inside out), but when it comes to a job, they have no concept of what works in the real world

tradesmen have the engineering upbringing, and so doing things seem normal to them, and get easily pissed off my an academic
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn dbl post

[Updated on: Wed, 05 November 2003 08:03]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've read ALL of this and to sum it up in a sentence:

Who cares about qualifications/whatever we all work we all hate working we all need money hence the reason why work.

no go and waste some of your hard earned money or your car people!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 18:58

engineers have been brought up from a kid to act and think like an engineer, and have always done things hands on
they usually get through uni with very avg results, but when it comes to doing a job, they have a very good concept of what works in the real world.

PLEASE send me one of these! I will pay good money. I thought they were only in movies and my daughters story books.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a few examples of both, but alas, Software Engineer's aren't likely to be much use for you Razz
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I've got an Economics degree, and am doing Honours in Information Systems. My thesis is titled "Proactive Polices in Combating Internet Fraud". I also have done a Diploma at TAFE. My Diploma was Remedial Massage. I did this whilst I was doing my Economics degree. I also did a night engine building course at TAFE a few years ago.
I believe TAFE and Uni are difficult in there own ways, and they both have there place. Lots of people went to TAFE to go to Uni, and these people were just as "smart" as Uni students.
It's simply horses for courses.
I think TAFE trains people to do things, whilst Uni teaches you to think more??? TAFE tends to be more subject specific.

Cheers,
Justin Rolling Eyes
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 05 November 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 16:47

PLEASE send me one of these! I will pay good money. I thought they were only in movies and my daughters story books.

i AM one of these, but i dont think u could afford me
it would cost u a lot to move me out of perth
-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 06 November 2003 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im goin to tafe and i'll be earning more than 40k when im finished.. oh and by the way im a 1st year sparky apprentice Razz
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Thu, 06 November 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 14:06

its like comparing a nurse to a doctor

Im a nurse i studied at university for 3 yrs to achieve my degree to become a health professional.
Now im not sure what your trying to portray here.
But we [nurses] are an underpaid profession.
Hence, one would think by the salary we get be of TAFE qualification standards.

Now, on the otherhand its pretty tough for doctors too.
Especially when they start off after yrs of uni.
They get paid crap as interns but eventually after few years they can work themselves up the heirachy and earn decent income.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sun, 16 November 2003 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez, this descended into a shit-fight for a while Wink

well, i have a degree in metallurgy. for me to be employed by an australian company as a Metallurgist, doing metallurgy things requires me to have maybe 5-10 years experience as a metallurgist, which i can't get as i won't get a job without experience.

the foundry i did my industrial training at (6 months) during my degree, had 6 metallurgists working the shit floor jobs. one was from poland and his last job was BUILDING foundries from the foundations up!! but still he couldn't land a metallurgy job in OZ.

when i get my PhD (ahh the Ramones Wink )i will be virtually unemployable in australia as a metallurgist as i will be 'over-qualified' even tho without it i am 'under-experienced'.

so i pretty much have two choices.
1) stay within the uni system doing post-doctorate research
2) go and work in another country for a couple of years, then come back and get a job as a metallurgist here...

thing is tho, if i stay doing uni research (with no academic aspirations) i stay on a reasonably good, but static pay level, which i would not reach as a production metallurgist within 5 or 10 years (after i get the 5-10 years exp Wink )

anyhoo, getting a degree is not the bees knees of getting jobs, it really depends on how specialised you are. me? i'm too specialised (high temp corrosion), but i know a bit about virtually anything to do with metals and materials processing.

what i probably will do is go and hang around a few race workshops and apply my degree there, even tho not as an 'engineer' as such..

oh, and 'engineer' used to mean the job of a 'professional' (and not the worlds oldest profession Razz ) which also meant you had to be part of a 'professional organisation' and technically, without membership of one of them (like IMEA, or whatever) then you aren't a professional and not an engineer, with our without a degree....

Quote:

If you want to earn more than $35k a year, then you'll need a university degree.

well, some of my friends earn way more... Perl programmer (no degree)=$240K in contract work, 'international business consultant' (some random business degree)=$300K+,
shift metallurgist $25-30k Rolling Eyes

hmmmmmmmmmm

[Updated on: Sun, 16 November 2003 20:10]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 18 November 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bloke i know who is an IT contracter once told me he hates uni grads because he has to retrain them, they know everything but dont know how to get on the computer and apply their knowledge

As apposed to TAFE students who can sit down and get started straight away

this is Software development btw so for anything else i have no idea

Me, im on the last few weeks of compleating my Diploma in IT (software development) and its been a great course

but on the plus side, my tafe offers a 1.5 year course ontop of mine to get my batchelor of IT, all at the tafe

so basically i get Diploma of IT and Batchelor in 3.5 years at the one instituion, i recon its a great deal Wink
cozzb
Regular

March 2004
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 09 March 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:23

HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:35

Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 14:51

I throught this debate was about electronics/electrical engineering Rolling Eyes

You kept referring to a TRADE. Is electrical engineering a trade? Do you need to do an apprenticeship to become an Electrical engineer tradesman?

You do need to an apprenticeship to become an electrical engineering tradesman, however you dont have to do an apprenticeship to be come an electrical engineer!
I'm doing a doctorate to become an Electronics tradesman engineer!
There are various types of engineering courses available, but I choose to do the doctorate but you can also do the bachelor or just the plain engineering.
Hope thats clear?

WHOA!!

I really find it horrible the way that the term, "Engineer" is being used so loosely here, and by TAFE's. To me an engineer is a professional, who is well trained in the academic, social and technical aspects of their field of study.
An engineer to me is NOT someone who has a crapload of technical expertise - they are a technician. Note the derivative of the word.

Lets take the example of myself, studying Telecommunications Engineering at the University of Technology, Sydney... and a friend of mine studying Telecommunications Engineering at TAFE.

I should also have you note that in order to complete my Bachelor of Engineering, i am required to do a MINIMUM of 46 weeks of FULL TIME work as an engineer split into two parts across my degree. IE i have to get a job, TWICE.

My friend doesn't do any topics such as Engineering for Sustainability, Engineering Communications, Uncertainties and Risks in Engineering (need i go on).... whereas i don't get to do all the indepth fancy prac's, nor play with some of the high end technical equipment etc, unless i chose to as electives etc.

Basically, uni engineering teahces the whole thing, with less focus on the actual technical stuff.
TAFE teaches you nearly everything about the technical stuff, and less of the rest.

well thats in my experience anyway.

Agree

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Who can provide me with the Solid works... read on.
Next Topic:my car Vs a new Triton??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:09:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087370872497559 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.