Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Just bought an RA60...what can I do?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 01:54 Go to next message
Just bought myself an old RA60 (21r-c)as a run around car, but the thing is seriously lacking in the power department. So I figured you guys should be able to tell me of some easy ways to increase power.
Not to sure if I want to do a complete engine swap, was thinking more along the lines of sticking a new head on it, bigger carby, hell maybe even supercharging (would that be possible on this engine?)
Just throw some ideas in and let me know which way I should go Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
save a tidy sum of cash
double it
triple that
and then 1g-gte or 1jz-gte
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the expression "polishing a turd" applies here Smile
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok, so the car might not have that much potential, I did say its just a run-around car though Smile
Surly its not a totaly write off?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry Smile
course its not a total write off - but beyond some decent extractors, new carbie....
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what carby would u be suggesting?

edit: the diff is also on the way out (making annoying wheigning noises), would you just get a replacement from another ra60, or do i have the option of swapping from something else?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 03:49]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a nice big Weber on the thing, lumpy camshaft and some extractors. Then stop polishing the turd. Next, save up for a 1G GZE/GTE.
Cheers,
Mitch.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 13:59

Get a nice big Weber on the thing, lumpy camshaft and some extractors. Then stop polishing the turd. Next, save up for a 1G GZE/GTE.
Cheers,
Mitch.

doing this will cost as about as much as a 1G engine package unless u can find all of this gear second hand (read: not likely).

check out ebay.com.au there is a 1G-GTE for sale on it for cheap

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 04:10]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Thu, 23 October 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here ill even save u the hassle of finding it Cool

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=2438976526&category=32624
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha He owns an RA60!

Sukdin!!

Oh... Wait a minute...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a night of fun (and a likely busted engine!) nothing beats crudely applied nitrous installations Evil or Very Mad

OOOOH! Nearly forgot - run the freaking thing on nitromethane - you'll surely pick up a few ponies that way! Very Happy

*not responsible for any personal charcoal conversions resulting from abovementioned suggestions*

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 02:27]

praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im getting the vibe that the ra60 is looked upon as the ugly duckling?? that aside, u guys are saying that short of a new engine there's not much hope for it? surly its not thAt boring Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in short we are suggesting not to waste time with the 21R-C. You can pour money into it, but the results wont be as good saving that extra little bit for an engine conversion.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could also get a 3TGTE half cut from a TA60 and unbolt all the good stuff and bolt it into your Celica.

The crossmember will bolt up no worries, and the rest shouldn't be a problem. My cousin did this in his driveway with very limited car experience. Halfcut was $2500 ish.

Hen
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shoving a 3T-GTEU in is the same as putting a 1G in except you don't have to worry about engine mounts.

For the extra power, I'd rather fiddle around with the engine mounts... Smile
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What can you do to an ra60? Strip anything worthwhile out of it (ie. nothing) then push it into a lake and be happy knowing that you've rid the world of one more fugly celica

Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Fri, 24 October 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rip the interior out, fit a restored one from an MA61 Supra, fit a nice stereo, service it and keep it reliable while you save up for something worth throwing money on and drive in comfort Smile

Speaking from experience. Wink
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Sat, 25 October 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Except buy a MA61, not a GA61 Cool
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Sat, 25 October 2003 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol
that way you will have some pretty flares to make ur machine look like an animal
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Sat, 25 October 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But we all know what people with flares are compensating for Wink I figure if you can fit 7.5" wheels under the non-flared guards fine then why do I really need flares?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Just bought an RA60...what can I do? Sun, 26 October 2003 08:12 Go to previous message
to fit 10 inch rims Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:is 70 amps enough?
Next Topic:MZ20 Soarer Brake Pads
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 10:19:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062761306762695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.