Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » inductive speed sensor .. how they work?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon3.gif  inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Wed, 22 October 2003 13:09 Go to next message
hey

been having a few issues with speedo cables that i dont wanna get into, anyway decide i wanna go electronic speedo. i have bought and built a speed alert kit from jaycar (it has a built in speedo). the kit works by putting magnets on the tailshaft, then ya wire it to some bobbin with wire ran round it 500 times. i dont like this for 2 reasons 1. the magnets could cause vibrating, 2. magnets keep flying off

so what i wanna know is the signal that the inductive speed sensor sends off the same as the tail shaft magnet setup

also anyone know where the 3 wires go to?

http://www.users.bigpond.com/digger_aus/iss.jpg

the wire colours are

red/blue stripe /black dots

blue/back stripe/ brown dots
blue/ brown dots

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_5730.jpg
Ddeane i know you have the tailshaft setup can u comment

thanks

craig

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 13:14]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Wed, 22 October 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did you get the speed sensor in the first picture? Did you get any information on it at all?

The bobbin with the wire wound around it is just inductor(derrr Rolling Eyes ) and when the magnets sweep past it the inductor creates a voltage(nothing special)!
One thing that might be an issue using that speed sensor in the picture is the calibration is going to be out of wack because of the gearing! Can that speedo be calibrated somehow?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Wed, 22 October 2003 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the speedo can easily be calibrated

and the speedo sender is from a gt4

cool1 since u have a gt4(well half of one) maybe you could trace them for me Razz

ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig

For my cruise control and for the speed sensor for the ecu I have a magnet on the tailshaft (on the yoke actually) with a pickup attached to the extension housing of the gearbox. (puts out a 5volt ragged square wave) It has been there for 4 years now and has given no trouble at all. I have also attached these to a landcruiser and a Camira over the years with great success.

If you don't like this, make a visit to your local assessories supplier - as VDO do a great electronic speedo that comes with a box that connect to the gearbox drive. This can be done a number of was depending on application - directly into the box or with a short cable. Yo may be able to by the 'box' and stuff. Not sure how much but as the whole speedo costs about $400 the bits and pieces will be less. On the topic of the speedo - it is great - self calibrating and looks good.

Craig
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz_Craig wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 09:37

yeah the speedo can easily be calibrated

and the speedo sender is from a gt4

cool1 since u have a gt4(well half of one) maybe you could trace them for me Razz

The gear box from my half cut is now gone Confused The speed sensor was a bit different to the one in your picture, but I will have a look in the GT4 manual for you!
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at a quick guess, one of those wires will be the inductive sensor
i know my cressida has one built into the back of the speedo.
pulses 4 times for every rotation of the cable.

tho i dunno if you car will have it, i think only cars with computer controlled auto's and/or cruise control options had them.

one will prolly be an earth, but the other ??!?!?!

drop an analogue multimetre across 2 wires, and spin the gear.
try this will all the wires, this will tell you which ones are the inductive sensor
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DDEANE: cheers ( i must owe u a few beers) Shocked

COOL1 thanks that would be great

CRESSIDASUPRA: i got this item outta a GT4 aand it didnt have any of thos options,

i thought 2 wires were the pulse the other earth, but i thought it would need some sort of power?

who knows?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 11:38]

kmwdesign777
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may not be of any use to you but.... on my toyota powered clubman style car I use an electronic speedo/trip meter etc made for use on bicyles ( yes the pedal type!! ) ... they are very tricky little units and some read up to 200kph I think from memory. Mine has about 4 or 5 functions/read-outs and cost about $39.

I put the small magnet on the tailshaft with a similar weight on the opposite side, and then put the sensor next to it. It is calibrated manually from the tyre size and diff ratio.

reagrds kevin.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok just got the multimeter out

between blue wire/ brown dot and red wire there is a resistance of 11.0
nothing between any of the others
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz_Craig wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 20:06

ok just got the multimeter out

between blue wire/ brown dot and red wire there is a resistance of 11.0
nothing between any of the others

and when u turn it?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt appear to change but maybe i cant turn it fast enuff
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Thu, 23 October 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, if it will deflect, it will be non-conductive for 85 degrees rotation, conductive for 5, non-conductive for another 85, conductive for 5, etc etc, upto 360 degrees rotation
(or it could be the opposite)

you will really need an analogue multimetre for this, its easier to see the deflection of a needle, than see a digit change

have you tried it will all 3 possible combinations?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Fri, 24 October 2003 00:07

nah, if it will deflect, it will be non-conductive for 85 degrees rotation, conductive for 5, non-conductive for another 85, conductive for 5, etc etc, upto 360 degrees rotation
(or it could be the opposite)

you will really need an analogue multimetre for this, its easier to see the deflection of a needle, than see a digit change

have you tried it will all 3 possible combinations?

as i turn it it seems to go up or down .01 each way with a range of about 8, mainly stays on 10.90

what ya saying makes sence but dont seem to be working on this model

dont have a analoge multimeter anymore Sad

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh well, its out of my league now, back to shanes help
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything with 3 wires is a digital signal
2 wires is an analog signal like abs sensor

2 wires have a pulse to earth

3 wires have one power wire one signal wire and one earth

4ag 20v have 3 wire sender
red wire 12v
violet/white is signal
maybe brown for earth

the 3 wire senders wont pulse an output unless they are powered up

yr pic seems to have red for 12v
blue/white is signal on most celicas so if theres a blue/white thats output and last wire is earth
run signal wire to back of speedo

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 01:54]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I daresay that sensor *probably* has a hall effect sensor in it (I've never pulled on apart though!) which will output a square wave rather than a sine - this MAY not be a problem, however. What you really need to do is get ahold of a CRO and have a look at exactly what comes out of the sender, then fire off an email to Silicon Chip mag and see if they can help you Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or send the sensor to someone and let them figure it out!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Shin i think you are right, i was looking a autometers range and they work on a halleffect device
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To check which wires are the sensor, change the multimeter to the lowest range of DC volts you can - not resistance. The resistance seems to be about 11ohms but it's the voltage output you are after. Very Happy
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: inductive speed sensor .. how they work? Fri, 24 October 2003 07:22 Go to previous message
Yeah the 3 wire sensors are basically a magnetic sensor with an op amp build in to turn the wave from an AC signal into a DC square wave output (or hall effect output is there common name).

Can you pull your sensor apart and look inside it. If can could take a clear photo of it I could help.

I assume none of the wires is grounded? Check by measuring the resistance of the wires to the case of the sensor. If you get a short then this will be your ground wire.

Now there should be some resistance between the other 2 wires, to be honest I would expect around 2K ohms but yours doesn't seem to follow the Toyota sensors I have used.

You will need 12V on one wire and the other will be your signal - I would apply 12V to one of the wires through a 100K resistor and measure the output to see if this works. If it doesn't switch them around and try again. Of course I have assumed you have worked out which is the ground wire, if you haven't then there are a few more tries in order. If you can't work it out you can send it to me and i'll do it for you.

Now if you can work it out and get it going send me the schematic of the Speedo and I'll give you the adjustments you need to make to meet its input requirements. This will need to be changed because they are setup for the magnetic input. Should only be a matter of changing a few resistor values.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:99 WRX 4pot Calipers onto AE92?
Next Topic:Car won't stay on, mechanical ignition problem?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 15:41:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051670074462891 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.