Regular

September 2002

icon10.gif  Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 04:21 Go to next message
http://www.oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/kaboom.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hoooooowww in the world!?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is an incident in Newcastle. It happened on Monday the 29th of
September. A fitter with a works van left an E size Oxygen and Acetylene
cylinder on the back seat of a toyota dual cab over the weekend. The
Acetylene cylinder must not have fully closed and a small leak occurred.

Over the weekend the Acetylene had accumulated in the van. On the Monday
morning the fitter approached the van and opened the door, a large
explosion took place. We believe the ignition could have been caused by
either the internal light, the automatic door control or by a mobile
phone
which was on the front seat of the van. The fellow was also a smoker. He
has damage to his ear drums and facial damage. As you can see by the
attached photos he was very lucky.

Who said a Hilux was unbreakable?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if it is still driveable? take a few panels off and it almost looks it..

You would get some funny looks I imagine Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy did the same thing near me last year, except there was less of his van left and it shattered windows all down the street, with debris found 2 blocks away. No need to say he did not live through it (and he was a smoker).
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohhhhhhhhhhh WHAT A FEELING NO EYEBROWS! Laughing
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good thing he had the lights on 'door.' Wouldn't want that going off when you jump in Shocked
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the seats sure are in good condition, considering the damage the explosion did to the rest of the car.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Instant convertable.......... Rolling Eyes
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUGGER! Shocked
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Unbreakable my ass Tue, 21 October 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poor bugger. Imagine what was going through his head after it happened. It would have been like "What the...??????" Neutral
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 07:40

Poor bugger. Imagine what was going through his head after it happened. It would have been like "What the...??????" Neutral

He's lucky for him it wasn't the gearstick going through his head.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah no kidding. I cannot believe he wasnt seriously hurt/killed.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err... There's a remarkable lack of carbon for an explosion... Rolling Eyes
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oxy/acytel explosion is pretty clean
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That clean?

How does an explosion rip the roof off an not even singe/melt the seats?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would have thought that the seats would have melted from the intensity of the explosion unless it burnt so quick that it was just the pressure of the gas expanding that took that hilux to bits.
For it to be that clean the mixtures would have been pretty good.
Food for thought never the less.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, id be banking on it being a low heat, rapid combustion explosion in a confined space... doesnt take much of a kick in an enclosed shell for significant pressure to be created, and blow things apart
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But the flimsy seats aren't blown apart.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats going to blow them apart?

infact, the saets would most likely be in compression as the environmental pressure increases towards the core of the seat.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fail to see how an explosion that would rip the roof and dash apart and even damage the front of the car (Wink) would not affect the seats.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to my mind, if it were in fact an explosion that caused the damage, im predicting that it was a reasonably small one... ie the initial compressive shockwave caused by the actual detonation of the gases was minimal (so you have very few indications of primary explosive damage). a secondary component to the explosion is the resultant global increase in pressure as the combusion products and waste expand (much more slowly). this pressure increase - particularly in a confined space, would be more than suficient to blow the doors and roof off a car, and potentially distort the dash as the front of the car is blown open...

as soon as the pressure is released by the breakage of its containing vessel (ie the car) there really isnt much thats going to happen... this is also consistant with the lack of injury sustained by the individual who wouldve been outside the car

the heat generated by a small, but fast and efficient combustion would be minimal, hence no burning.

the seats would only be ripped apart by the primary shockwave or haet from a prolonged or intense burn phase... but they werent. the secondary effects of increasing cabin pressure would not damage the seats (which can tolerate large and fast changes in environmental pressure)

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and the other factor in all of this is the fact that we're not dealing with a focus of explosive activity - ie within the cabin, the forces of explosion are not directional (eg front to rear, left to right etc). only a directional force from an explosive focus would put a differential force on things within the cabin such as the seats.

as gasses mix uniformly within the cabin environment, this is unlikely to happen
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and one more thing, the distance that debris is spread around the car is further evidence of a low energy explosion. the pressure simply built up rapidly, blow its containing vessel apart, then ran out of energy to do anything more.

a rigid, poorly designed pressure vessel such as a car would be expected to behave like this
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go ed Go...

I'm assuming that in this case the doors were closed at the time of explosion. If the door was open wouldn't the "focus" of the explosion be escaping out the open door. If the vessel (cab) has had an expolsion within it the initial explosion (expansion) would place pressure on the outside of the vessel roughly equally at all points (doors, roof, glass, floor) This would result in the rather spectacular wreckage you see here.
However if the door was open wouldn't the pressure exit out the door (and shatter windows) resulting in less damage.

An interesting thing I noticed the door skin has been blown off the frame... Cool
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's a crew cab where are the rear doors???
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To me, an explosion that could twist metal like that would displace enough air fast enough to damage the seats in some way.
Especially considering the state that the dash is in...

How can a force damage a dash made of hard plastic and not the seats?
How can the doors be blown off and have the rear section undamaged (apart from a few windows blown out).
How can the side be ripped open and the tyres not damaged?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My views

Quote:

How can a force damage a dash made of hard plastic and not the seats?

I think of it this way put a piece of foam inside a coke bottle and compress the air in side. the foam dosn't crush or flaten, all the pressure is taken by the bottle itself (the vessel)
place another vessel inside the bottle (ie a sealed match box) the box would crush as the pressure increases. looking at the way the bonnet is sitting the firewall is buckled and I guess the dash has shattered as the firewall that it is bolted to blew out.

Quote:

How can the doors be blown off and have the rear section undamaged (apart from a few windows blown out).

The pressure dissipated into the atmosphere once outside of the vessel. my guess would be most of the damage was done by the roof hitting it and what force was left in the explosion. This is only a fairly small explosion as if it were any larger the windows next door would be non existant and the car would be found blocks away.
Quote:

How can the side be ripped open and the tyres not damaged?

Outside the vessel and not directly connected to the vessel.

Please note these are my opinions based on logic and not science.
Open to critisism. Very Happy
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=678811

look at the blown windows of the cars down the line....

cheers
rob xxx
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More photos would be good I like analysing these sorts of things
Has the second car down got broken glass or is the glass on the ground from the wagon??
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See how tough us Newcastle poeple are. Laughing
Still it serves him right for putting gas bottles INSIDE the cab when we all know not to do it.
There's an expensive lesson for him hey.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you shouldve seen my windows shatter after some of my mums curry WHEEEEEEEEEEEHW to much methane Laughing
SXer
Regular

May 2002
icon12.gif  Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look at the way the leftmost door in the first picture is bent. You can see that the formerly glassed area has bent out to release the internal pressure and that the door itself has bent while the catch has held. I guess it stopped holding when the side of the car blew off.
While the seats still standing seems surprising, I don't think that they should throw the credibility of the photo into doubt. I am surprised that the bloke survived though...
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just imagine waking up to seeing that
"uh, boss, we have a problem with the car"
"whats the problem"
"i cant find all of it"
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look at the center window above the steps, its shattered too
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Wed, 22 October 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still don't buy it.

That car next to it has a broken window.. Woo. If that much debris was flung at it, you'd think the whole side of it would be dented.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Thu, 23 October 2003 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Nark, perhaps you would like to offer a better explanation!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Thu, 23 October 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, there's only 1 way to find out...
If anyone has an acetylene bottle, and I'm sure Nark would love to donate his car to science! Smile
What a great tech article that would be!!!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Thu, 23 October 2003 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just one question, ..., can I have the diff?!!!?
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Unbreakable my ass Thu, 23 October 2003 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 09:33

I still don't buy it.

Are you saying it's not for real?
Remember that all the doors where closed bare one so the Hilux took all of the inital force with the surrounding cars etc taking the secondary force.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An explosion needs pressue. How can you build that much pressure with a door open?! Certainly as something burns, it can build pressure in itself by the waste gasses, but then it'd exit out of the weakest part (the open door), not blow the roof off.
It's just all wrong to me...
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if he only opened the door to the first catch, and when the explosion erupted, the door couldnt open any further because it was stopped by the catch, therefore there would have been less destruction on that side of the car as the explosion had somewhere to go. this would also explain how he got any with only minor burns.
however, on the other side of the car, there was nowhere for the explosion to go, so it may a hole, a large hole at that
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I totally agree with Nark on that point, I believe the doors would need to be closed to do that if the door opener opened the door he wouldn't be standing here now.

Another thing with would be interesting to know, Is the bottle still intact??
What I mean if the bottle was leaking and the gas was settling in the base of the vehicle, opening the door and light, phone or whatever ignites the gas and boom ball of flame, very little pressure, singed eyebrows... owner staggers back (blownback??)
shortly after the initial boom the bottle explodes... THAT would create enough pressure to blow the car to buggery with the door being open the only real reason that the wreck still resebles a ute and is not just a chassis and engine sitting on the ground.
A smaller vessel exploding in a larger vessel??
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still not one of the forensic explosive experts in this thread has come up with a better explanation. Personally I don't know as much about explosions as much as you guys obviously do, so please offer a better version of events as your no doubt expert eye can tell from these photos........ Rolling Eyes

I found this in the google cache:

Posted: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:58 AEST

Gas bottle blast wakes residents
The Newcastle Fire Brigade says a leaking acetylene gas bottle in the back of a car is responsible for a large explosion at West Wallsend this morning.

The brigade received several emergency calls from Carrington Street residents after being woken by the loud noise just before 6:00am AEST, and say it appears the bottle was in the back seat of the vehicle.

The car was badly damaged as were two nearby vehicles and shopfront windows in the street.

Newcastle senior firefighter Glenn Stewart says investigations into the explosion are continuing.

"Firefighters from West Wallsend were called to Carrington Street, West Wallsend shortly before 6:00am, on arrival they found a car alight which has been damaged due to an explosion which originated from a leaking acelylene bottle - no injuries were reported [and] investigations are continuing," he said.

It would appear to backup what Cressida Supra originally posted. Perhaps all the experts here would like to volunteer in helping Glenn Stewart with is continuing investigations

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 10:45]

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Should Nark donate his car to science?[ 5 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 5 / 100%
2.No 0 / 0%

Come on Nark donate your car!!!

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not an expert on explosives or anything like that. I'm just speaking from a logical point of view.

An easy explanation: Someone heard of the explosion and thought it'd be cool to fake a pic. They happen to have the Jaws Of Life handy... hehe
Or and angle grinder and lots of spare time...

Yeah, stupid explanation, but I'm just pointing out things about the photo which don't really sit well with me not trying to guess at the real reason things are like that... It's not the point to the argument.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unbreakable my ass Fri, 24 October 2003 13:07 Go to previous message
I also am looking at photos and have very little else to go onexcept for logic.
and looking at the photos there seem to be some strange things going on and that excert makes things more confusing
Quote:

"Firefighters from West Wallsend were called to Carrington Street, West Wallsend shortly before 6:00am, on arrival they found a car alight which has been damaged due to an explosion which originated from a leaking acelylene bottle - no injuries were reported [and] investigations are continuing," he said.

1. if the car was alight??? if the car was alight when the fireies arrived the car would be burn and I see no trace of burn marks
2. If nobody was injured there was nobody in the vicinity at the time of explosion ie. doors were closed.
thus by what I said before is logically correct

seems to me that if the doors were closed the gas in the car would do that sort of damage as ed mentioned
if the drivers door was open I think the bottle itself exploded.

Youngy I don't see any you offering any comment either for or against logical or scientific.
there are a few explanations here if there was more detail we may find one of them is even right. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lowering Car
Next Topic:Anyone Wanna Cheap Lamborghini Countach???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:57:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068359375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.