Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » turbo on an 18rc engine.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

turbo on an 18rc engine. Fri, 24 October 2003 10:53 Go to next message
As the subject says. How hard is it. can it be done. how will it go afterwards.
  Send a private message to this user    
sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: turbo on an 18rc engine. Fri, 24 October 2003 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt tuboing a 18rgeu be easier, cheaper and gain better results?
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: turbo on an 18rc engine. Fri, 24 October 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The single cam heads are pretty restrictive as far as flow goes, you'd be a hell of a lot better off with a twin cam version of the motor.

If you could get a turbo manifold from someone cheap, it might be a bit of fun to play around with. Because lets face it, would you cry if you blew an 18r-c up Smile However I wouldn't be bothered getting a manifold custom made or pay big money for one.
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: turbo on an 18rc engine. Fri, 24 October 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plus I'd assume you would be running a carby, which is always a pain to run forced induction through (comparitively speaking of course)Smile.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turbo on an 18rc engine. Sat, 25 October 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done this... follow link below to car...

Expect to spend a quite few peso's as there's no manifolds you can use - so you gotta make a custom job for intake + exhaust

Plus the head needs machining to lower compression

Expect lots of heat issues to deal with (suggest HPC for everything inc piston tops).

I would advise choosing an engine with a cross-flow head and EFI manifold - less hassles in the long run. 4AGZE (well, maybe?), 3SGTE (is that the right code or is it 3TGTE?), 1G-GTx, 18RGx etc

however, if you do it, you'll be in an elite club Cool

(updated to get my codes right)

charles.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 October 2003 09:27]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo on an 18rc engine. Sat, 25 October 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest - if you want turbo power - you really are better off loking at a 1ggte swap - or a 3tgte swap .

If you can find a 18rgeu - even better !! ther are a lot simpler conversion to undertake - though you may have to look at a stronger clutch , and some engine stegthening if you want to run higher boost levels

18rc is a good economotor - they sadly are not a " performance " one , Sorta like the 5sfe , and 4ac toyota motors
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo on an 18rc engine. Sun, 26 October 2003 03:17 Go to previous message
whatever you do, do not run a petrol carby! go EFI or atleast LPG is a little easyer to set up for turbo

as for lowering compression not on an 18R-C its a perfect 8.5:1 allredy

Manifolds what i would do is go for a J pipe off the stockie or get a flange welded to where the stocky "hot spot" for the carby is then use original outlet for the wastegate... not ideal but would work, would require a custom inlet but the stock 18R inlet manifold sucks anyway

Have fun!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My 4AC engine problem -need help
Next Topic:Steering Rubber Coupling Replacement Article
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 09:40:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046250820159912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.