Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 00:23 Go to next message
Hey guys,

This isn't really a question or anything, but I just received some pictures from a guy in the states who has just had a TruTrac diff installed in his MA61 casing.

Doesn't it look like it was always meant to be there? Evil or Very Mad

http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/diff/trutrac1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/diff/trutrac2.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/diff/trutrac3.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/diff/trutrac4.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/diff/trutrac5.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/diff/trutrac6.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet! dude! sweeet!! duude!! SWEEET!!! DUDE?? sweet? DUDE!

franky, you got an email, i want an article on that!

cheers
ed
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idea's good - my only question hangs over the streghth of the ring gear etc. Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My next planned mod is one of these things... if only I could get my hands on a 3.5:1 R&P! Mad
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

My next planned mod is one of these things... if only I could get my hands on a 3.5:1 R&P!

You & me both. Although I'm not sure which one I need, exactly.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excuse me for my ignorence, but whats so special about the pictures JCMF posted...and whats a 3.5:1(i know what his part means) R&P(whats R&P?)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Thu, 10 July 2003 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the pics are of a torsen lsd (as opposed to a clutch pack type lsd).
its only recently come to light that these little detroit puppies actually FIT in an F series housing. prior to this 'discovery' there wasnt a lot of options for diff upgrades in the F series.

3.5:1 is the diff gear ratio. 3.9:1 is standard (kinda) in the ma61, the 3.5:1 is slightly taller, and will give you higher road speed per engine rpm.... something the guys with AMPLE power like to have (the rest of us need the lower ratios to make our engines feel better Confused Confused)

oh, and the torsen lsd is CHEAP

cheers
ed

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there an option for the G series diffs too ??

i hope it is stronger then the standard g series torsen cos they are not all they are cracked up to be. I exploded the hemisphere in mine using only street tyres !!

so much for the indestructable driveline.

Matt

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, my 2JZ is doing about 3000rpm at 100km/h in 5th, which is just silly when I have boatloads of torque in a relatively light car. I'm hoping the 3.5's will get the revs down to 2500 or so, and I don't expect it will have much impact on acceleration. If anything it will improve acceleration; right now it just lights up the tyres when I floor it in first and second! Very Happy

TrueTrac's definitely are a bargain. After a bit of Googling I found them for US$315, so you could probably land them here for $600 or so with shipping. Has anyone actually shipped a similar item from the US? I'm interested to know what it would cost.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yojimbo wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 10:01

is there an option for the G series diffs too ??

There certainly is! You can get them for practically any Toyota 4WD, including the Hilux (F and G series).

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just how strong are they though.

I was quite surprised when my old one went bang!

I really didnt think it was under that much stress.

Matt

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is great news. I have been thinking of going for a Corona F series in the celica.

Yojimbo. What were you doing to break the torsen centre? I thought they were pretty tough.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about for the T series?

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went for a big (4000rpm) launch at the creek (on street tyres).

was really surprisd as I had just watched andy launch his with full slicks on drop the clutch at 7000 rpm ( and hook up) without breaking his clutch type lsd.

Matt

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They aren't available for the T-series diffs I don't think. The bonus for us, is the 4WD Hiluxes have a front F-series diff, so thats why they fit.

Perhaps there was something wrong with your diff as well...they are supposed to be fairly strong, they appear a lot less complicated (from the standpoint of moving parts) than a conventional clutch-pack LSD...

I got these pics from a dude on celicasupra.com, I'll try and find out some more details...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, Ed, I want your 3.9 diff when it dies or you get a Truetrac...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trutrac is only the centre... not the ring and pinion - ill be keeping those Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know someone who may be replacing his 3.9 R&P in the near future. Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the 3.73 isn't the best ratio for my 1GGTE, and its going to stuff up my speedo. So I figure I'll get a 3.9 down the track.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i've got this torsen\clutch pack lsd thing sorted in my head

whats the ring and pinion bit?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 15:41

Well, the 3.73 isn't the best ratio for my 1GGTE, and its going to stuff up my speedo. So I figure I'll get a 3.9 down the track.

I'll let ya know if/when the 3.9 becomes available.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 17:04

Ok i've got this torsen\clutch pack lsd thing sorted in my head

whats the ring and pinion bit?

Ring = big ring gear that goes around the diff centre.
Pinion = helical gear that meshes with the ring gear.

The driveshaft spins the pinion which turns the ring gear and applies torque to the differential (and of course to the axles and wheels from there). The ratio of teeth in these gears is what determines your "diff ratio", so if you want to change the ratio you have to replace the ring and pinion set.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Speaking of XA-6X diff ratios, I'm planning to stick with the 4.3 in my auto 1JZ. Mostly because I'm rapidly approaching insolvency, but also because I want to see how it goes for getting that low down tyre-munching torque. JCMF has siad that the 3.7 is too low for the 1G, anyone want to have a stab at what would be 'best' (I do know it's a personal preferance thing) in a 180ish RWKW XA-6X?

PS: Norbie, ya know what diff is Paul P. using in the auto 2JZed?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go for a 3.7 with a 1JZ, but then again I've never driven a 1JZ so that's just a guess.

Paul P is using the stock 4.1 diff, same as me. He has no plans to upgrade because the auto has an uber-overdrive... he says it does 2400rpm at 100, while I do 3000rpm at the same speed!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Justin, how bout I swap you your auto diff for my 3.73? BTW, why does your car have a 4.3 diff? The Aus-spec auto Mk2's had a 4.1
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Fri, 11 July 2003 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do about 2400 whilst cruising at 100km\h
3000 and i'm doing about 130km\h

My mate who for some reason has a EA falcoon revs about 1700 at 100km\h

Then again he accelerates like a slug Razz
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie,

That's what I guessed - 3.7 would be ideal. Any guesses as to how the 4.1 will go with the 1J?

cheers,

Justin

[edit: ever since a diff conversation with a Sprinter owner, I keep saying 4.3 and meaning 4.1 Embarassed ]

[Updated on: Mon, 14 July 2003 06:12]

Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

JCMF,

See my edit above - my brain not go so good at the moment Embarassed

Are you serious about swapping a 4.1 for your 3.7? If so, what sorta condition is it in? If I new I would be going manual sooner rather than later, I'd jump at this. As is, I'd like to do a bit more research, but am interested (lightbulb just went off in head).

- J.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I have boatloads of torque in a relatively light car

So how much torque can you fit in a boat? Very Happy

Seriously though, if someone wants to organise a group buy of these, I am in straight away (Norbie, you mentioned this the other day?). I have a Corona F-series that needs some kind of grippage Smile

Either that or I'll have your old LSD on the cheap so that I can rebuild and fit it Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 14 July 2003 08:47]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm serious, I'm ripping it out of my parts car. I didn't get to drive it more than once, but as the diff was one of the main reasons I put in for the car I ... tested it out. Verdict, it works well with both wheels lighting up and the car skewing sideways Razz

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can also atest to the diff being in pretty good condition
I was going to buy the engine\gearbox in the parts car that JCMF is on about(but shit didnt go my way Sad )
anywho...i took it for a bit of a spirited drive and well...no unusual noises when i was smoking tyres up going around corners Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, its fun doing that with no power steering huh? Razz
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger bench pressing 75kg's
or doing 20kg curls
Just buy a MA61 with no power steering and go drifting Very Happy

When Peewee said "she's a pig to drive" i thuoght yeah yeah yeah
Started reversing onto the street and it was pretty much WTF...steering wheel isnt moving Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 14 July 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pffft! Try doing the same thing with 400hp under your right foot. Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Tue, 15 July 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, but you can use the torque to steer, you just have to turn it a little bit Wink
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Tue, 15 July 2003 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL good point! Not recommended at parking speed though.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Tue, 15 July 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing wrong with painting the car park in rubber Evil or Very Mad
n2734222
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Sat, 25 October 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With reguard to the strength of the pinion and gear. Why not get the diff internals cryogenically treated?

There was a zoom article on this a while back. From memory it could improve the hardness of metals by up to 300% while also making also making it tougher. There is a mob somewhere in south australia that does it and from memory its fairly cheap. heres a fair bit of info on the web. Just a thought?

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Sun, 26 October 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the gutless Falcon, that'll be because it has a 2.77 diff - very much cruiser gears! Very Happy

As for not having power steering, you people are wimps Evil or Very Mad
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 27 October 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To save ordering them from America get them from Locked Drive Systems in granville...02 9897 7912... that way you can whinge at someone if they break Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 27 October 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey nrobie.
Johal here, are you getting a truetrac one any time soon.. if so could I possible buy ur stock ma61 lsd.. if its not screwed?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 27 October 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'm getting a TrueTrac very soon (it's en route from the US as we speak), but my MA61 LSD already has a new home - my Celica is getting it. Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: TruTrac diff in F-series casing Mon, 27 October 2003 14:15 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 28 October 2003 00:02

Yeah I'm getting a TrueTrac very soon (it's en route from the US as we speak), but my MA61 LSD already has a new home - my Celica is getting it. Smile

*shakes fist at your celica* Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:changing clutch in ae92/93 -whos done it?
Next Topic:V160 Clutch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:17:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073449611663818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.