Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
gearbox swap Fri, 24 October 2003 08:01 Go to next message
just pondering,

how much money and effort is involved in converting a auto to manual gearbox in a ma61 or RA6x???

thanks y'all Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gearbox swap Fri, 24 October 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A fair bit Sad

Stuff you need..

Clutch pedal and box / brake pedal (I have these for sale if you want them Very Happy )

Clutch master cyl / slave cyl / hard line / flexible line
Bellhousing / clutch fork / throwout bearing
Clutch / pressure plate / flywheel / spigot bearing
Gearbox (w55, w57, w58) in REAR most shifter position (20.5" I think it is?) / gearbox mount / gearbox Xmember (not sure if you need this, your old one might be fine?)
Driveshaft (or lengthen existing)

Wiring, you will need to short the switch that only lets you start the car in neutral / park.

Costs, the clutch master / slave can be bought new for I think around $40, $35 respectively from repco, bell housing around $70, clutch flywheel?, gearbox prbly around $300.

If you get someone to do it for you prbly a fair bit of labor as well (guess $400 at least?).

I'm doing a auto -> manual in my cressida in the upcoming holidays, count yourself lucky that you have a manual variant that you can get parts from, I had to weld a new clutch pedal, and I need to lengthen my shaft Rolling Eyes (waits for the comments).

Cheers
Wilbo

ps manuals are SOOO much better Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 10:37]

airfireman1
Regular

August 2003
Re: gearbox swap Fri, 24 October 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just converted a hilux 4X2 from auto to manual. Ditto with all the parts you have to buy. dont forget that you will have to also get a manual console, gearshift boots. And it will also have to be inspected by Traffic to approve the change and let the insurance know or you could void your cover
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gearbox swap Fri, 24 October 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
airfireman1 wrote on Fri, 24 October 2003 20:40

And it will also have to be inspected by Traffic to approve the change and let the insurance know or you could void your cover

What did the inspection involve? I've yet to look into that side of it.

Cheers
Wilbo
airfireman1
Regular

August 2003
Re: gearbox swap Fri, 24 October 2003 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know yet but as soon as I get it over to the traffic office I will let you know. I would only think that they would check the mounts and pedal assembly. Since it is all toyota and not really "modification" and there are no non stadard parts it should be no probs. The whole conversion cost was around $800.00
Gearbox was out of a 98 hilux picked that up for $250. and the other parts for $300.00 so I had to buy the bell housing,pedal box,clutchplate pressureplate Clutch master and slave cylinder, flexible and rigid pipe,flywheel,spigot bearing, rear gearbox mount. and lengthen the tailshaft. May be able to recoup some of the cost by selling the auto and the bell housing off the 98 box.
I still have a few other small things to do to finish it off, ie source a console and gearshift boot. I hope to have it finished next weekend.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: gearbox swap Fri, 24 October 2003 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, mine cost about 1000 or so, but that include 250 box, an 280 fro driveshaft lengthen

if you can find a manual wrecking, just strip everything off that
muuuch cheaper
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: gearbox swap Sat, 25 October 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aight thanks y'all. just pondering in case i ever bought an auto (yuck) Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gearbox swap Sun, 26 October 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just out of curiousity foetus , have you thought about a 1ggte conversion into your brown car - aka like what nark did ?

Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: gearbox swap Sun, 26 October 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a Auto to Manual swap in an RA40 in one weekend! Only cost me about $50 as I had a whole one for spares. A few tips if you're going to do it though:
1. (and the most important) Hire a transmition jack for positioning the gearbox (we tried with a set of three wheel jacks and bricks, safe I know Very Happy It was a nightmare to locate the spline)
2. I got a mechanic with a rattle gun to loosed all the bolts on the bell housing then drove it home (make sure it's not too far a drive though) this helped a whole heap as some of those suckers are really hard to get too if you don't have the right tool.
3. Be prepared to hate the smell of oil and gear oil!

Hope this helps you avoid a few mistakes
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alloy channel reinforced skateboard are dynamite for moving gearboxes around, you put the jack on top and you just wheel it around, I am sure a trolley would be more manueverable but hey, use what you've got.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be easiest to just get a whole car to swap it over. As for the shifter, you'd actually need the second most forward one.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sun, 26 October 2003 20:39

just out of curiousity foetus , have you thought about a 1ggte conversion into your brown car - aka like what nark did ?

yep, if i dont get an ma61, i would love to do one, and is the plan. the problem is, i dont really know shit about mechanics, so i'd have to pay to get someone to do it, and would probably cost a shitload.... but still, i'd love to have a lovely brown (bronze Evil or Very Mad ) celica that all the commondores think they can spank and whhhhhham! Very Happy

i was wondering about the gearbox conversions because i saw a 5m-GE ma61 for sale, but its auto....... Confused

so yeah, thanks for all the input guys Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm about to embark on the same journey, however mine is a MA61 with the 7M-GTE and A340E auto. Sad

Got most of the parts on the way and looking forward to it. Auto's may be fine for the drags, but a Sports Car is maent to be sold in manual only !!!!!!! Very Happy

I'm looking forward to the fun beginning !!!! Rolling Eyes
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feotus - Drop nark a PM re the 1g conversion - it should be pretty straight forward in your car , though you would have to look at wiring in an ecu - and possibkle fuel pump systems ..

if not - nods to the ma61 ..

Might head up to ballarat this weekend too - so if you want to catch up - lemme know
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 27 October 2003 18:03

Feotus - Drop nark a PM re the 1g conversion - it should be pretty straight forward in your car , though you would have to look at wiring in an ecu - and possibkle fuel pump systems ..

if not - nods to the ma61 ..

Might head up to ballarat this weekend too - so if you want to catch up - lemme know

cool dude, i've just got a job ( Laughing ) so the engine conversion is one step closer....

cool dude, ill tell you whats goin down when i find out, i think my partaes are thursday-ish, so my weekend may be free.... Very Happy Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where will you be working at ?

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: gearbox swap Mon, 27 October 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agostinos in Bakery Hill- im behind the bar. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

i just realised im going to see Strapping Young Lad on Saturday night, so ill prolly be free after 5ish on Sunday.... or before 4ish on Saturday..... Very Happy
Nige
Regular

October 2003
Re: gearbox swap Wed, 29 October 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no shiat? u goin to strapping? i was gonna go, but cash factor is a biatch. did u go to soilwork foetus?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: gearbox swap Wed, 29 October 2003 01:25 Go to previous message
nah missed soilwork, am going to strapping though, lookin forward to it Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tuning Carbies??
Next Topic:AE82 steering wheel onto AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:41:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095398426055908 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.