Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Mon, 27 October 2003 17:48 Go to next message
How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze?
And what is the notiable performance diffs from silvertop to blacktop?
They dont like forced induction at all do they?

Also.......It is ONLY a cartoon, and good entertainment..
But the thing tha looks like a silvertop 20V they install in 2nd Stage of Initial D... they say it is a group A race engine that maxes at 11000....
Is there such a thing?
  Send a private message to this user    
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Mon, 27 October 2003 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20v is quicker than a 4age.. but the GZE will shred a 20v to pieces..
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Mon, 27 October 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corvid wrote on Tue, 28 October 2003 10:22

On the road...

On the track, a 20V will rip both. GZE is not much faster than a standard GE on the track.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agze has got a lot of torque. But with induction, it's also less revvy.
20v has got a lot of potential, especially up top.

The group A 4age 20v engine does exist. It was built by TRD, and redlines at 11k.

The good news is that its FREE!!!!!
The bad news is that you have to be some acclaimed racer or drifter to recieve it as a gift. Such as the drift king Keiichi Tsuchiya. These engines are once offs, and are in very small numbers (i've only heard of like 3 so far).

I don't know how the ae101 silvertop compares to a group A, cause I've never driven one (or ever hope to). But I could tell you that silvertops don't redline at 11k. Or do I suspect it to be robust and well tuned as the group A (obviously).

-----

On an interesting note...
Drift king Keiichi Tsuchiya for most of his career favoured a panda levin with a group A silvertop. Sometime in the 90s, he retired the car and recieved a blacktop kouki trueno from TRD.

Now, one would have to wonder what happened to that levin?

All we know is that Bunta keeps disappearing to secret meetings. And also, bunta has got some pretty hardcore racing friends (how else did he get the engine?)
We also know that Bunta receives a phone call from MR Tsuchiya too.

initial D was based sometime during the 90s when the Tsuchiyas levin was retired. By the time takumi had a group A in his car, Tsuchiya already had that blacktop trueno. Remember on christmas day when takumi went to the mag shop? that white trueno on the front cover of that option magazine was the drift king and his new car.

so yeah..... the origins of takamui's group A is no longer a mystery. Takumis group A is the greatest drift engine, and used to be owned by the greastest drifter of all time Smile

this is my theory anyway..
heheh too much time on my hands i think

[Updated on: Tue, 28 October 2003 09:27]

lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt it the same engine that the forumula atlantic cars use?

you can buy these too
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Tue, 28 October 2003 15:19

isnt it the same engine that the forumula atlantic cars use?

you can buy these too

aren;t they 16v, trd group A are 20v..
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao......... can I have some of what your smoking??? Laughing

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
formula antlatic make parts for the bigport 16v (mostly)..
there are some 20v parts.. but group A are different again...

speedcore: I think the PJ supermilds are getting to my head Laughing I should quit... hehehhe

rock on.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out this dude with the $100,000 USD sprinter...

He was a GT500 driver. Despite driving super powerful cars, he kept coming back to the ae86. Something about the car was special. So he went out and dreamt of building the best one there is.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/IIda %20AE86%20project.htm

Definitely a good read.
He's got a group A 20v in there....

"While all of this was taking place, Iida landed on his engine of choice… a Group A spec, TRD 4A-GE 20V, definitely NOT available to the general public… This 255hp power plant from group A racing field features non-VVTi cam gears with re-worked internals allowing race-tuned versions to rev to 11,000 rpm. The engine is also full dry sump, external feed oiling system. Iida took home the head and hand sanded all ports, and combustion chamber to mirror shine. He claims he took over a month to finish the polishing. The 3 angle valve adjustment was done on a Yasuda precision mill, which is accurate to 3 microns, as was the camshaft bearing bores. For those of you unfamiliar, it’s the same process that Toyota used for engines that went into the TS020 which dominated the GT1 LM class last 2 years at Le Mans, and probably also for Juan Montoya’s CART champ car’s engine, this year!… "

rock on
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iida's car is nice, but Tsuchiya's still beats it on the track.
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting....
Was hoping to have some feedback like that.

shcao..... damn man that is some deep Initial D theory hahaha.
Why dont u use that brain power and design a new revolutionary engine component or a new smokeless ashtray hehe.
Entertianing I must say though!
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, with your original references.
How on the road but not on track.

You mean as a track has constant corners and stuff but on a road, usually is drag racing on a fairly straight strip?
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 28 October 2003 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah what he means is on the road the torque will rip a 20v.. but on a track you can keep the rev's up in a 20v..
depends what you want.. but off the line in any situation the GZE will be faster than the 20v..
ANY SITUATION!.. i own one and have raced many many many 20v's and to be honest.. i cant see a huge difference between those and the GE's..

And besides.. if you want to rip them all apart on road and track.. throw a turbo on the GZE and Cya later..

[Updated on: Tue, 28 October 2003 20:09]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Wed, 29 October 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Truzeno wrote on Wed, 29 October 2003 07:08

shcao..... damn man that is some deep Initial D theory hahaha.
Why dont u use that brain power and design a new revolutionary engine component or a new smokeless ashtray hehe.

nobody tells me what to do! Mad

just kidden mate Smile Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know of only one other Motor from toyota ( in a street car ) that can rev to over 10K ..

its owned by Steve bignall - of this list ( SteveGt4 - red st185 showcar )

A TRD spec block 3sgte , thats been worked to the tits internally ..

he mentioned to me a while back ( dunno where he is now - havent seen him online for ages ) last dyno run saw it crest 10 thou or so .. Id have loved to see the dyno prinotu for that Smile

Id love to get genuine confirmation on this figure

[Updated on: Wed, 29 October 2003 09:54]

Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Thu, 30 October 2003 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 28 October 2003 10:40

Corvid wrote on Tue, 28 October 2003 10:22

On the road...

On the track, a 20V will rip both. GZE is not much faster than a standard GE on the track.

I've yet to see a 20V or 4AGE engined one go quicker than my 4AGZE on the track. I know what you are saying, but in practice, it's a different story. There is plenty of track speed in a ZE.

Cal.
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Thu, 30 October 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thankyou.. finally someone who actually also owns a ze with an opinion..
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Thu, 30 October 2003 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well no point comparing your GZE to a stock 20V Cal when from what I remember it runs overboost pulley and a front mount
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Thu, 30 October 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've owned all three in the same car.

If you're used to a 16v, the 20v feels very similar, only a bit more in all ways. The ZE (with a NEVO pulley), is an animal by comparison.

I haven't had my ZE on the track yet, but, I'd be very surprised to see the 20v get anywhere near it....

On the other hand - The 20v sounds so much better than the other two. I'm kinda embarrased by the noise of the ZE.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2003 21:29]

Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Thu, 30 October 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Fri, 31 October 2003 04:02

Well no point comparing your GZE to a stock 20V Cal when from what I remember it runs overboost pulley and a front mount

LOL.....this is true. You just here a lot of this "oh no you can't build a circuit car with a 4AGZE". I think they are actually easier to get good lap times aout of if you don't have huge amount of track experience. You don't have to be so careful of where your revs are, as in a NA car. Any hot NA twin cam must be kept on the boil or a lot of time will be lost building revs again.

Cheers,

Cal.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Fri, 31 October 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer I see your point..... but frankly it is not that hard to keep a screamer high in the rev range...... for ie. the Sat sprint track at QR. The slow parts.... turn 3&4 and 5&6.. I would imagine would be a 2nd gear affair for a 20V Sprinter.... and just estimating.... revs would not drop below 5300 in 2nd for the entire track.

Laughing As for the sound of a GZE..... I kind of like it from watching Cal rip around QR... has that... HOOVER vacume cleaner sound!!
Kevmeister
Regular

October 2003
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Sun, 02 November 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have been told that a stock 4agze will put out the same amount of power as a 20v. But if u turbo a 20v, it would munch a 4agze hard!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Sun, 02 November 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevmeister wrote on Sun, 02 November 2003 13:58

i have been told that a stock 4agze will put out the same amount of power as a 20v. But if u turbo a 20v, it would munch a 4agze hard!

Umm yeah well how about if we turbo the gze as well Very Happy bit unfair only slapping a turbo on one isnt it Rolling Eyes

It is a lot less work to turbo a GZE than 20v as it is already built for forced induction, just food for thought.

Cheers
Wilbo
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Sun, 02 November 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is just my opinion but if you want a F/I 4A.. get a GZE then you can either S/C or better yet turbo or heck even both.....
leave the 20V's alone for the people who really appreciate them you 20V head theiving bastards! Razz
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 04 November 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Fri, 31 October 2003 15:45

Laughing As for the sound of a GZE..... I kind of like it from watching Cal rip around QR... has that... HOOVER vacume cleaner sound!!

Satan's electrolux Very Happy
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 04 November 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Tue, 04 November 2003 12:58

SPEEDCORE wrote on Fri, 31 October 2003 15:45

Satan's electrolux Very Happy

LMFAO! I wonder if that guy with the combover from the Godfrey's adds would appreciate us talking about Hoovers and Electrolux. It was just a joke though.. I hardly would call Cal's GZE sprinter whitegoods on wheels. Razz
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 04 November 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An engine that sounds like a Hoover..... mmmmm. An engine that reminds you of an ex-gf? lol
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 04 November 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude I can't believe your ex was a vacume cleaner.... Laughing

You sound like Doofy from Scary Movie! Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 04 November 2003 07:23]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 04 November 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha.... I remember that!
Ugh... I am being compared to Doofy. I am gunna shuddup next time instead of crackin jokes...
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Tue, 04 November 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing NONONO!!

Dude I know where you where comming from.... (it was funny)
I just had to turn it around a little.... Razz
CrusinSX
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Wed, 05 November 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the diff between the silver top and black?

[Updated on: Wed, 05 November 2003 08:32]

SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Wed, 05 November 2003 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEARCH button in upper right corner.......... also www.google.com
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: How does 20V perform in comparison to reg 4age and 4agze? Wed, 05 November 2003 22:05 Go to previous message
Main diffrence is that blacktop have MAP sensor while siler have Air Flow Meter.
also black has a bit more Kw and tourque only slight but and has lighter internals.

i can tell all you people for me the blacktop 20v was the best thing i did to my car as i had a 7afe and this 20v shits all over that by far i never got to drive a 4Age 100kw so i couldnt say if its a lot better but eventually i will get stronger top end and turbo and then she will eat up and gze and anything eles i think is worthy betting. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18rgeu injectors (flow, connector colour)
Next Topic:jza-70 air filter replacement.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 07:51:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087301731109619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.