Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 05:08 Go to next message
Was looking into putting a v8 into a smallish car and have come up with the following idea...

1985 celica <-1UZ 4.0l v8 quad cam... HAS TO HAVE A MANUAL BEHIND IT (i think a supra 5 speed and adaptors can be bought from the castlemain rod shop / dellows , i did research for a lexus v8 into a Vr commodore about 18 months ago?)

now the questions are;

can it be done?
can it be registered ?
whats the weight difference between 22RE (original engine) and 1UZ?
would the handling be too serverely changed?
Is this a stupid conversion?
engine alternatives (really want the 1UF if it will work)?
Who can do a drive in, drive out conversion?
Whats the full cost?
What driveline components would have to be updated, modified?
Has it been done before?
People who did it, would u do it again?

Any info would be greatfully taken.

Sorry for the 50 questions from the newbie

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 06:47]

Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the actual engine code is 1UZ (1UZ-FE) not 1UF

yep it can be done

yep it can be registered

nope its not a stupid conversion

if its a specific RA65 celica then u should be fine with your driveline. when u get the bellhousing mate it to a w58 gearbox and your existing F series diff will be able to handle the power fine.

drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 15:13

the actual engine code is 1UZ (1UZ-FE) not 1UF

yep it can be done

yep it can be registered

nope its not a stupid conversion

if its a specific RA65 celica then u should be fine with your driveline. when u get the bellhousing mate it to a w58 gearbox and your existing F series diff will be able to handle the power fine.

Thanks heaps.. yeah sorry bout the typing error *slaps head*

Does anyone know who could do these conversion ?
How much it would cost all up?

Costing it all up for a project im gonna do Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 05:51]

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thatd be a tight fit wouldnt it?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, its only 4cyls long Razz
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did a search before and found someone who was in the process of putting a 1UZ into a R28 and was gonna PM him for more information but apparently this forum wont allow me to do that ?? Maybe cause im a newbie ?

Anyways really looking for some help with finding somewhere that does this type of conversion, drive in , dump ya money, pick it up complete.... sort of thing..

and how much?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you dont have any of the parts, then youd be looking at 5000 abs min,
2000 or so for crown majesta cut (only one with separate engine tranny ecus)
400 bell/h
450 fly wheel
450 decent clutch
500 or so for w57/8
500 min or exhuast
misc 500 for belts/oil/plugs/leads/filter
300 or so for engineering

this is providing u run original ecu, afm etc, and you dont have to upgrade your brakes.
add many many $$$ for those 2 things

so $5000 abs min, prolly more like $7000 for happily tuned beast with good aftermarket ecu
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 15:13

if its a specific RA65 celica then u should be fine with your driveline.

which specific RA65 celica are u refering to... ? sorry maybe i missed something
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drive in drive out - gimme 10grand and i'll do it for you!!
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 16:50

if you dont have any of the parts, then youd be looking at 5000 abs min,
2000 or so for crown majesta cut (only one with separate engine tranny ecus)
400 bell/h
450 fly wheel
450 decent clutch
500 or so for w57/8
500 min or exhuast
misc 500 for belts/oil/plugs/leads/filter
300 or so for engineering

this is providing u run original ecu, afm etc, and you dont have to upgrade your brakes.
add many many $$$ for those 2 things

so $5000 abs min, prolly more like $7000 for happily tuned beast with good aftermarket ecu

Thanks heaps thats exactly what im looking for, a price.... Now to find somewhere that will happily do it for me... Of course i would have to negotiate a price.. Smile cheers
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 16:51

drive in drive out - gimme 10grand and i'll do it for you!!

was hoping to find something a bit cheaper than that......

but will take that as a first quote Razz ... hopefully find something a bit cheaper....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drive in drive out, $10k is ridiculously cheap for a job like that. Engine conversions are hell expensive, especially when you're paying some other poor sucker to do the hard work for you!
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheeh, i thought so too, but i was gonna wait until he got an actual quote

did i forget to mention that it will be done in my back garage with a kincrome tool kit, and arc welder, and my dicksmith soldering iron???

no SST's for at least 10kms
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Add some more for a suitable efi fuel pump too. Re-yoking and cutting the taishaft, or complete new tailshaft too.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then pretty soon you'll realise you want an LSD in there - so that will add some more Razz

but it would be a nice conversion, 1uz is nice and light, pretty short (like the ra65 engine bay) and pretty wide (like the ra65 bay)
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was quoted $2800 for a 'crown' half cut...
that didnt know what a majesta was Rolling Eyes
and a w58 for $650...not a jza80 w58 coz the jza80's only came with r154's!!!!!! Laughing
mehtinks these boys are too worried about pooey nissans

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 10:25]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UF engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you should tell them your mate (me) has a jza80 one Razz
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youre wrong Greg, your box is actually out of a very rare 5spd 2JZGE crown. Razz
sorry, had to be a smartass. Smile
MR Enforcer engineering did the 1UZ MA61 i was checking out, they could prolly shed some light on ease/ cost of the conversion.
cheers
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Thu, 23 October 2003 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought JZA70's and MA70's had R154's, the JZA80 has some sort of Getrag box?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 24 October 2003 09:56

I thought JZA70's and MA70's had R154's, the JZA80 has some sort of Getrag box?

Nope they have different gearboxes depending on weither they are turbo or non turbo...

As you said JZA70 / MA70 turbos had R154's and the Getrag box you speak of is the V160 / V161.

MA70 non turbos had a W58, JZA80 non turbos also had a W58 although it is slightly different from the MA70 one (has a bigger input bearing / input shaft).

Cheers
Wilbo
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That clears things up pretty well, thanks wilbo. Is there any difference between 1JZGTE R154s and 7MGTE R154s? Ive found quite a significant price difference between the models when getting prices off wreckers.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK, there is no difference between the 2, but the 1jz ones about about 50% more expensive
i'm putting this down to the fact that they have a JZ bell/h, and therefore are worth more

maybe?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I have found they are worth about twice as much as the 7M box.
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so anyone know of any garages that would do this conversion ?
(warantee would be nice)

Would like to ring them up and find out the costs involved..

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u have to tell people what state you are in.
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 24 October 2003 15:58

u have to tell people what state you are in.

Victoria, but if interstate was cheaper i would be willing to make the journey....

basically want to know if the cost would be rediculous and not worth it....

1100kg car with a 4L V8 with a 5 speed manual would be quite a lot of fun Razz

drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JAZE wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 22:30

youre wrong Greg, your box is actually out of a very rare 5spd 2JZGE crown. Razz
sorry, had to be a smartass. Smile
MR Enforcer engineering did the 1UZ MA61 i was checking out, they could prolly shed some light on ease/ cost of the conversion.
cheers

got any contact details for Mr enforcer ?

EDIT: NEVERMIND - I found the details and have sent an email requesting a quote..

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 07:21]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what reason do you want a workshop to do it? Is it a time factor, a major lack of know how or no tools?

I know people who have done successful conversions with poor mechanical knowledge to begin with, me included. You learn sooooo much as you go along, and there is nothing like the feeling of driving the car after you have done all the hard work yourself. Plus the sh*tload of money you save.
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 24 October 2003 17:16

For what reason do you want a workshop to do it? Is it a time factor, a major lack of know how or no tools?

I know people who have done successful conversions with poor mechanical knowledge to begin with, me included. You learn sooooo much as you go along, and there is nothing like the feeling of driving the car after you have done all the hard work yourself. Plus the sh*tload of money you save.

Total lack of know how.
No backyard to do it in.
No time to do it.
Like the idea of getting it done right the first time..

Would love to do it myself but i have to be realistic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 15:19

no SST's for at least 10kms

Don't forget SST #1..the hammer is almightily useful Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Fri, 24 October 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The no place to do the conversion is a major problem, always takes alot longer to complete than you think it will too Smile

Getting a workshop to do it doesnt always mean it will be done right the first time, you should probably make sure the workshop has a good reputation for engine conversions, ive seen some bodgy stuff done before, especially if they underquote then cut corners to save money.
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Sat, 25 October 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 24 October 2003 22:02

The no place to do the conversion is a major problem, always takes alot longer to complete than you think it will too Smile

Getting a workshop to do it doesnt always mean it will be done right the first time, you should probably make sure the workshop has a good reputation for engine conversions, ive seen some bodgy stuff done before, especially if they underquote then cut corners to save money.

Very true, Thats why im trying find out from you more experienced poeple where to enquire...
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Sat, 25 October 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can someone drop some more names of reputable conversion places ???

Anyone?

Really interested to find out if this is worth while... (money wise)

or i could just buy a R33 gtst like everyone else
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Sat, 25 October 2003 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drizt wrote on Sat, 25 October 2003 11:56

Can someone drop some more names of reputable conversion places ???

Anyone?

or i could just buy a R33 gtst like everyone else

Dont do that Dude!!!!! You should at least get a 1JZ supra or soarer, much better!!

I would help with a good workshop if i didnt live on the other side of the world.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Sun, 26 October 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drizt wrote on Sat, 25 October 2003 13:56

The answer is NO, almost certainly not. You don't do engine conversions because it's cheaper or better than buying a fast car in the first place; you do it because you want something unique.

If you just want a fast car, buy one. Simple as that. Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Sun, 26 October 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto norbie!
Mate going fast aint cheap. My conversion is gonna cost around $12k and thats doing most myself!
To give you an idea...i went, out of curiousity's sake to place that builds race engines, to give me a quote on building my engine, including the cost of parts like lifters, roller rockers, valves etc. Cleaning, assembling. $9084 - thats including my complete bottom end minus pistons and lifters, heads and most hardware.
Thats so i would have the complete thing minus a complete exhaust system! Parts have cost abou $5k on top of that. So i've decided to do everything myself, with the help from my father.it woul'dve saved me in the vicinity of thousands of dollars! Can you see why people on here learn a lot about motors and cars before they even start to tare down and assemble a motor!

as noribe said. make sure you really love the car before you take on such a big task. Otherwise buy a fast car.
Blake.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 October 2003 12:25]

drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 26 October 2003 23:24

ditto norbie!
Mate going fast aint cheap. My conversion is gonna cost around $12k and thats doing most myself!
To give you an idea...i went, out of curiousity's sake to place that builds race engines, to give me a quote on building my engine, including the cost of parts like lifters, roller rockers, valves etc. Cleaning, assembling. $9084 - thats including my complete bottom end minus pistons and lifters, heads and most hardware.
Thats so i would have the complete thing minus a complete exhaust system! Parts have cost abou $5k on top of that. So i've decided to do everything myself, with the help from my father.it woul'dve saved me in the vicinity of thousands of dollars! Can you see why people on here learn a lot about motors and cars before they even start to tare down and assemble a motor!

as noribe said. make sure you really love the car before you take on such a big task. Otherwise buy a fast car.
Blake.

Can you tell me more about your car ?
Sounds interesting Smile
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok heard back from engine conversion place and seems like you guys were spot on ....

to fit the engine and box $1500
need a supra 5 speed and a bell housing flywheel and clutch for the 1uz $2500
tail shaft $500
rad and acc $900
wiring aftermarket ecu $500
ltx12 ecu 1350
tunning $450
diff conversion $2500
fuel sys $900

so thats just over 11 grand and then i would have to buy the engine for say $1500.

So total would be around 13 grand....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They seem a little enthusiastic with the pricing there...

-Fitting the engine and box is the easy bit providing you have mounts etc.
-It shouldn't cost that much for a Supra box, as you already have an RA65 I'd be inclined to use that (its probably a W55 or W58). The manual conversion parts wouldn't cost as much as they say, the parts themselves are ~$850 plus shipping from CRS and you'd have to factor in about $450-500 for the clutch.
-As you've retained your original box (or even if you must get a W58 or the like) your original tailshaft will fit fine.
-I don't know exactly what they mean by rad and accessories, but I'm getting my original radiator triple-cored for about $350, I don't forsee any problems happening with it.
-The wiring and tuning sounds about spot on.
-What diff conversion are you planning!? Admittedly you're likely to need an LSD (which from a MA61 Supra would bolt straight in) but as long as you aren't someone who is going to try to break their diff, the F-series will be fine.
-What are they planning for the fuel system? I could understand a helper pump if you're having troubles, but the fuel system in the RA65 is essentially the same as a MA61 Supra and their pumps would be more than capable of a stock 1UZFE. Even an aftermarket replacement pump wouldn't be that much.

The other things you have to price up are all the engineering and registration fees. What I'm trying to say is that no, engine conversions are never cheap, but if you shop around and do your research, you can save your money and not buy things you really don't need.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any reason they dont want to wire up the standard ECU?
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i wondered about the diff conversion myself.. i simply requested an lsd and they quoted $2500 .. seems excessively high to me...

Everywhere i enquire they all say a ecu change is a must, apparently the stock one is a pain in the ass for a manual conversion
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh man the performance shops want to rip u off big time

$2500 for a diff upgrade u dont need, hahahah tell them to get a clue then hang up on them.

the RA65 has a F series diff and at most u will need to spend is $250 - 400 for a LSD out of a MA61 supra

thats assuming u even want a LSD as the existing F series single spinner diff u have is up to the task. the diff is not a priority expense for you.

as for the ECU thing, there is a model of 1UZ where the automatic transmission control unit is seperate from the engine ECU, in which case will make it the easiest of the lot to wire up.

just be very weary when it comes to workshops doing things for you, and try and run everything past us (read: toymodders) before u make big decision.

Workshop = wants to take your money Mad
Toymods = wants you to learn and save u money Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Crown Majesta engine you're going to need (because of the front sump) actually has the separate ECU/trans computers as far as I can gather.
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Mon, 27 October 2003 13:53

ohh

Workshop = wants to take your money Mad
Toymods = wants you to learn and save u money Very Happy

Yeah so hard not to get ripped off when u have sweet F A mechanical knowledge. Sad

i basically figured if i could convert a 85 rwd celica into the following for around $8,000 it would be worth while....

FROM (85 celica manual)
TO (85 celica manual, lsd, 1UZ)

now to start with i have to buy a half cut for say around $2,000

time to look for another conversion place, whats everyones tip ?

[Updated on: Mon, 27 October 2003 03:49]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're paying someone to do it, you absolutely won't get it done for $8k. I wouldn't even consider doing an engine conversion if I had to pay a workshop to do it for me. Do it yourself, you'll learn heaps and the satisfaction when you drive it for the first time can't be beat! I don't care if you don't have much mechanical knowledge; this is exactly how you learn. Smile
Phrozen_Death
Regular

October 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spot on norbs
you will need more than 8 grand to get it done by someone else.
and i am about to embark on about the same project, but it will be done in spare time and in the shed here at home for the purpose of saving money , money that is better spent elsewhere on my car and not keeping some ripoff mechanic in business, i haven't done a conversion this big before , but fuc#it you wont learn if you done put the effort in

nathan
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Mon, 27 October 2003 13:53

now to start with i have to buy a half cut for say around $2,000

wouldnt u be hard struck to find a 1uz 1/2cut for 2k,
ive only ever seen em for more like $2800 Sad
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Mon, 27 October 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im with jcmf (FOR ONCE)you are getting ripped and one could do it yourself much cheaper. Make it easier on yourself, buy an MA61 Smile
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Tue, 28 October 2003 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come on peoples, give me the names and possibly websites of conversion companies, I DONT CARE if they are interstate, im willing to drive for the right price....

Anywhere in aus, well maybe not WA
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Tue, 28 October 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try Toyospares in Melbourne...

On what Norbie said, I'd add this:

I had most of my conversion done by others/a workshop, as I have no tools, very little time, and not much hands-on knowledge. I did do some of it, and learn't a fair bit during the overall process, but, given my time again, I'd sit back, take a LONG time to get everything (including the required tools) together, and have a go myself...If nothing else, I'd have saved a LOT of money. If I eventually go manual with it (about the same time I notice pigs flying around our house), I'll get the 'box, pedal box, clutch and associated hardware, plan to have the car off the road for as long as it takes, and do the damn thing myself...

If you do everything yourself, you will also immediately know where to troubleshoot it if/when things go wrong down the track, as you'll know what was done, and what may (potentially) break...

My 2c.

Good luck with it.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Tue, 28 October 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I looked in to puting a 1UZ into my '84 Celica-Supra a while back. I talked to some workshops about wiring up the ECU (I'm an electrophobe Embarassed ). Seems nobody wants to touch these ECUs - too complicated, they all say. Everyone trued to talk me into going to talk me into going aftermarket management. Also, while some have 'seperate' ECUs for engine and transmission - I'm not sure that you can simply ditch the trans. computer and run a manual - the engine ecu might still want to limp.

And on the DIY vrs workshop issue. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Do as much as you can at home and then take it in to get the hard stuff (like exhausts) done and fix any mistakes you've made. That's what I tried to do.

Good luck with the conversion - I think it's a brilliant idea (though I'd drop it into a Celica-Supra rather than Celica).

cheers,

Justin
JZA61
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Tue, 28 October 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm afforded the luxury in my case of "simply" throwing a manual at it, as mine runs after-market management as is. (In fact, it also runs the original ECU to control the transmission...). It's more time/cost, and the ubiquitous "I can't be stuffed" factor, which preclude the manual swap ATM, much as I'd love it. Razz

The multitude of sump/ECU configurations used with the 1UZ makes them a bit "arcane" in some respects, but they are becoming much better understood, as more and more people are experimenting with different setups...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Tue, 28 October 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go have a chat to Toyospares in Bayswater, talk to Matt (guy with the beard), tell him 'that idiot Michael with the turbo sprinter' sencha Evil or Very Mad If you want you can come over my place and take a look at a half finished 1UZ conversion involving a Crown half cut/HZ Holden. And the standard ECU WILL run a manual trans if you want it to, you just plug in the auto trans ECU to put the check engine light out Evil or Very Mad PM me if I can help you at all..
drizt
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1985 celica <- 1UZ engine swap ??? Tue, 28 October 2003 05:35 Go to previous message
Thanks heaps guys. I'm doing all the Research now instead of diving head first into something and spending too much money...

All this stuff is helpful....

hmmmmmm doing it myself sound like it would be crazy fun.... just gotta find somewhere to do it.... will talk to some of my mates and see if they are interested
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:To have, or not to have External Antenna?
Next Topic:1JZ Engine mounts - urgent help needed!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 16:36:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097332000732422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.