Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 13:32 Go to next message
Okay - here's a simple one for all you ST162 drivers out there (both of you Smile ) Approximately at what level does the oil pressure guage on your car stay at? I remember mine used to lie between the middle point and go up higher towards the next 'break' in the gauge thingo if I revved it...after my engine rebuild (my first ever engine rebuild, and by god I hope I haven't screwed anything up) it sits around about the middle of the gauge, even when I rev the thing a fair bit, except of course when idling, where it's about 1/3 of the way up or so.

What about you guys? Have I fuxored anything up, or maybe the previous build of the engine had some kind of restriction in the oil flow thus increasing pressure???
  Send a private message to this user    
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old one used to sit right down on zero Laughing , well that was after the sender unit fucked out on me, originally I remember a long, long time ago in a galexy far, far away it used to sit a little bit into the middle section, and when I reved it, it went no more than half the middle section.

On the new engine, it seems to sit on the join from first to middle section, and when you give it a decent belting it goes up a bit.

This probably didn't help at all, I just thought I'd say it. Cool Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So any clues why mine might be a little bit low? Maybe my oil pressure sender is playing up, we did take the oil pump out and reseal it but I'm fairly sure nothing went wrong there, otherwise things would be well more screwed than they are...

hmmm Confused

How fair up is a "bit" - mine may go just past the join of the first two sections, but not much more than a mm or so.

I guess when I think about it - the oil pressure (once the pump has hit a certain threshold) probably shouldn't change much - I mean, by design, these things pressurise the oil a certain geometrically defined ratio -> so as long as the pressure stays steady it should be okay - although the overall oil flow of the oil pump might change as revs rise, the pressure of the oil won't.

Any fluid dynamics dudes disagree?

My car idles at about 800rpm, and registers about 1/3 of the gauge, at about 1500 rpm, the gauge is a bit of the way off of the half way point, and at about 2500 it's fairly centred from there on.
Sound good?

[Updated on: Mon, 27 October 2003 14:54]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not a good one to ask as my gauge read that there was a fair bit of pressure when there was no oil. Sad
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL, deja vu pour moi.

mine used to sit on almost nothing at idle. Driving would take it up to 1/3 perhaps.

had a bit of a worry, got it tested, and the pressure came up gold, so inaccurate guage.

got a second hand one off the forums here and now it sits at about 1/4 and in driving goes up to half. So I must have some wiring issues perhaps causing signal issues?

I don't know what it is supposed to be, or what it read when the car came out, so as long as I can get a reading I can know how my oil is. I mean the fluctuation in the guage means it is working, yeah, but not just getting enough signal back to the dash (or through the little diaphram in the unit).

Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine sits pretty much at half at idle then on normal running right on top of the last break

Edit: at the on top of the second last break. the owners manual says where the oil pressure should be I think it is anywhere between 1/2 way to the first break to on the second last break off the top of my head....I have only skimmed thru the manual once Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 28 October 2003 23:06]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Mon, 27 October 2003 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm - sounds like you can get just about any reading from that gauge. Maybe I'll just get it tested and that'll probably be that.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Tue, 28 October 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a bit more of a look at it today.

When idleing, it sits about half the first section, while in motion (about 2000 - 4000) it sits about 2mm into second setion, and when I give it a belting it goes no more than half the second section.

Well thats mine anyways

PS That is a sick avatar man, heaps better than your old one.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Tue, 28 October 2003 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - I'm going to get my oil pressure checked next week just to see what's going on. At least the oil pressure gauge is reading fairly consistently.

What rating oil do you use by the way?

Re: Avatar -> And people say FWDs can't get sideways...if it's got four wheels, it can go sideways Smile
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Wed, 29 October 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

FWDboy wrote on Wed, 29 October 2003 10:36

What rating oil do you use by the way?

I use 10w-50 Mobil Super XHP I was using Castrol magnatec but couldn't keep the oil in the car it kept dissaperaing but when i changed to XHP it didn't use any where near as much oil
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Wed, 29 October 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get yourself a nice VDO gauge.. electronic is easier to install, but mechanical is mroe accurate...

or get a Pricol version of the VDO

better than having an inaccurate gauge?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Wed, 29 October 2003 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point, might have to wait for a few pay days on that one tho Smile
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 3S-GE oil pressure q. Thu, 30 October 2003 13:55 Go to previous message
In mine I wasn't sure so I rang Neale Bates automotive and asked for recomendations, cause I wasn't sure for the Turbo, The engines done 160K, They said I would be best to use 20w-50 because of the engines age, (this is a 1988 engine) the brand they recomended was caltex Havoline Premium.

I was the same as Skinnypoo used to used Castrol Magnatec and it kept dissapearing, but this new stuff works pretty well.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Types of 4AGZE?
Next Topic:1G-GTE in RA28??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:21:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007918119430542 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.