Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how to test your alternator in a ma70?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 08:39 Go to next message
my alternator has no fuse, the previous owner has just wired it striaght up bypassing the fuse altogether, my battery always goes flat, how can i test it to see if it still works?

traditionally i'd test an alternator by unhooking the battery terminal while the car is running, and if the engine stays on the alternator works.

But i've heard you shouldn't do this method with an MA70 supra.
why can't I? and also what other method can i use to test the alt.?

rev the engine with the lights on? i tried that but the lights didn't change brightness, meaning the alternator is probably dead, but id like a more sure method of testing it.

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try a multimeter across the battery. should be around 14v with a few revs on board.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as the bushman above said, use the a multimeter across the terminals, at idle you should have anywhere between 12ish-15ish.
i would be a good idea to get it to a sparky and have them fush it for you as there is a good chance of a fire or explosion.
justin
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also u might want to run a multimeter from the back of the alternator to the negative terminal of the battery. in my car i found out the wire leading from the back of the alternator to the battery was stuffed and not the alternator!

food for thought
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you mean "as the bushman above said"
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry man, i clanced at your user name and thought it said bush banshee!!! Very Happy
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Wed, 29 October 2003 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for the tips fella's the multimeter proved that my alernator works.

cheers.
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: how to test your alternator in a ma70? Fri, 31 October 2003 05:37 Go to previous message
Testing the voltage alone is not a very compreshive test. You want to also check the current supply.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGTE VS SR20DET
Next Topic:info needed on zzt23IR
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:54:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044188499450684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.