Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ max boost?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Boostzor
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon5.gif  1JZ max boost? Mon, 20 May 2002 08:06 Go to next message
I got the 1JZ TT does any1 know what the max boost u can use
with stock intercooler and only exhaust and filter?

And can u use just one of those little boost controlers with the solenoid in it?
  Send a private message to this user    
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ max boost? Mon, 20 May 2002 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 Bar(14.7 PSI) is fuel cut. Without a fuel cut defender thats the limit.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Mon, 20 May 2002 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boostzor
It will come down to what condition your engine is in, how many k's it has done and what kind of service history it has had.
If the turbos are in good nick, 14 Psi has been suggested on numerous forums with high flowing intake and exhaust for stock turbos before heat and fatigue delaminate the exhaust wheel.
If the engine/turbos have already had a hard life even 14 Psi can destroy the exhaust turbine wheel with ease.
By mentioning solenoid, it infers an electronic boost controllers which is accepted as being better at preventing boost spike than a simple bleed valave. It comes down to personal preference and budget - $50 for a bleed valve and ~$1K for an EBC.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:05]

jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Mon, 20 May 2002 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My JZA-70 used to run at about .75 to .8 bar with exhaust and air filter (K&N pod). It used to be just fine at this.
With the boost controller, I used to run (conservatively) .85 bar until checking my air fuel ratios. Needn't have held back as at .9bar you still need to lean out the factory computor to make more power. (I have'nt dialed up more boost as I am paranoid about the ceramic wheels falling off - another thread subject?)

The factory intercooler is not a very good one I'm told (mainly from people trying to sell me a new one!), as it is restrictive and does not cool very well. However the amount of time at max boost I spend does not seem to warrant spending thousands of bucks on a new 'cooler. I have not seen any specs on the JZA-70 cooler, but it looks at least 20% bigger than the ma-70 version.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Mon, 20 May 2002 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Autospeed did a comparison of about 20 intercoolers from Jap imports. The Soarer one came in 4th place overall. Not a crappy intercooler at all.

Go to the site and do a seach for it. You should be able to find graphs there too.
Boostzor
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Tue, 21 May 2002 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big cheers to all those who replied:)

Ive got 134k on the clock. And (as far as i can tell)
the history is pretty good.
I hear that the bleed valve is a bit risky for the twins.
Can i get an all round computer like a powerFC or sumfin
which will cover it all?
Do u think i would need to get a dump from the turbos.?
I hear u can get a good twisty pair made up for around $500.

jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Wed, 22 May 2002 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think there is a ready made powerFC for the JZA-70. Im told that the best the can do is a more expensive "race" version that has to be specially programmed in Japan.

The Nissan guys who have powerFC seem to also need a separate boost controller (i.e. Aexi AVC-R) as it is easier to adjust than the one in the powerFC, even though you can hook up a solenoid
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Wed, 22 May 2002 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boostzor
You'll find that companies like TRD, TOMs, Mines, Blitz, Night Pager etc do/have made ECU/Chip replacements for the JZA70. Most normally increase the boost limit, rev limit, boost cut limit, 180 Speed restriction etc but are not generally adjustable for boost - you'd still need an EBC to alter your desired boost level. Some of the Generic aftermarket ECUs may well offer EBC with the basic ECU but that's a totally different avenue altogether.
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZ max boost? Fri, 24 May 2002 12:06 Go to previous message
The old 23c Zener Diode does the trick. Then all you need is some form of monitoring the AFR to make sure that you are not leaning out too much.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AFR meter - anyone got one?
Next Topic:nissan v8 vh45de info?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 04:30:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044338703155518 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.