Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » CAI in a carby ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 00:53 Go to next message
hey all

when running CAI in an EFI engine....all is good cause it adjusts itself to suite the change in air density and all that am i right ??

but what about running CAI in a carby ......would i have to adjust anything ???

thanx
Mani

[Updated on: Sat, 27 July 2002 07:25]

Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is CAI? some sort of fuel?
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cold air induction sorry

i did that without realising

Shocked
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cold Air Iduction for a carby engine, What a great Idea. A carby is a very rudimentry fuel metering device, however when tuning carby fed engines we still use an exhaust sniffer to read No2, Co2, and Oxygen content, This will tell us whether the engine is running rich or lean, and whether it is burning oil.

A cold air induction system will feed cooler air to the carby, this cooler air is a little more dense, however the carby will 'sense this cooler aior and add a touch more fuel. Take a carby car for a run in the middle of the day, and do the same run at 2.00am, you may feel a slight increase in power.

Yes cold air induction will work, any engine will appreciate a dose of cold air rather than that horrible warm stuff from around the engine bay.

Soo a slight tuning adjustment may be required, but I seriously doubt it.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k thanx heaps chuck
didnt know carbies could sense it aswell

Grin Razz
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Chuck, can you please explain how a carby would be able to sense more dense air and be able to add more fuel to make use of more dense air?

I am ready to claim that carburators are not able to sense any such changes in climate, nor are they able to increase/decrease fuelling rates accordingly.
This is why serious competitors have spare jets with them to finetune carbs to suite the day. If carbs are calibrated at sealevel, and run in a competition at noticeable higher elevation - the mixtures will be too rich.
Same applies here in the northern hemisphere. Carbies calibrated in the summer will lean out in a freezing cold winter day.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sat, 27 July 2002 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a automotic choke, that is a way in which the carbie senses that it is cold, closes the choke to enrichen the mixture. It is a bit crude, and Im not sure the auto choke will do anything once you are driving along and it has opened up the first time.

Many carbies (on a 4K, 2T, 18RC etc), have a temperature operated bi-metal valve, which opens when it gets hot, and this bleads extra air past the throttle which changes the fuel mixture (leaner) for the warmer air.

So yes, carbies are made to sence and change the mixture for different temperatures. Sidedrafts do not often have this, as the cold start circuit in manualy operated, and my ones at least don't have the bi-metal valve. Later ones may.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sun, 28 July 2002 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my friend had a 253 in a HZ and ran two cold air tubes from the front to the stock chromed air cleaner - looked awesome and i imagine it probably helped breathe a bit too!!!!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAI in a carby ?? Sun, 28 July 2002 03:47 Go to previous message
Put it on, so long as its not going to cost a whole lot (e.g. you're using a piece of hose you found in the neighbours hard rubbish). Carbies don't do a real good job of sensing differences in humidity, temperature, oxygen content, season, fashion, whether you've cleaned your teeth or too many other things. All they generally do is let X amount of fuel past for X amount of air going past. Sure, a carbie isn't going to adjust itself to the perfect AFR because you dropped the air going into it by a few degrees, but the actual difference isn't gonna be a whole lot anyway. I seriously doubt its going to start running 19:1 AFR because of a piece of pipe pointing at the air filter. Therefore, do it, as anything that costs nothing must be done, even if the only real gain is the extra noise of the air going in!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel spacers - Legal?
Next Topic:Carburetors, solex, webber etc
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 22 03:34:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046250820159912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.