Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » can a 4ag 86kw ....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
can a 4ag 86kw .... Thu, 30 October 2003 17:04 Go to next message
ok..i'm not sure about whether this topic is covered before..but i'll just give it a go..

i'm thinking of a 4ag 86kw conversion on my ae86..

what i wanna know is can a 86kw engine would be able to produce enough power to drift? assuming that it has lsd and a 'good enough' suspension setup..

let me know..
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Thu, 30 October 2003 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YES, its not as easy as a turbo'ed car but it can be done.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ac's can slide in the wet, so im sure an 86kw could do it, failing that you need tourque, so maybe ze just food for thought
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some ppl have no idea.

First of all the 86kw 4age acctually puts out 97 kw's the only 86 kw 4ages are the aust delivered ae82 ones.

Second of all... power isnt really needed for drift, a well set up sprinter with decent clutch and susp along with a good drive could be drifter all over the place with just a stock 4ac in the DRY.

yes ive seen it done.

i think my video's prove that u dont need hp to drift ok.
http://www.meggala.com/simondrift.htm all with a stock un opened 4age.

s
threegeese
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon, well done! that is a most impressive display. What are your suspension specs? Do you have a lsd in that car?
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know he has lsd
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigport = 97kw

so is the small port 1 86 and ae82?
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon... what about the Aust. delivered AW11's... all 86kw, all bigport.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan wrote on Fri, 31 October 2003 11:30

bigport = 97kw

so is the small port 1 86 and ae82?

No, smallport is 100kw
bigport japspec is 97kw
bigport aus spec is 86kw
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat advantages tat an bigport 4ag will have if a 100kw block is put in it?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
higher compression to start with...
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out bill's site
www.billzilla.org.au

hes a smarty pants!

Razz
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Fri, 31 October 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power is definatly not a pre requisit for drifting because you can break traction threw other methods that don't rely on brute force to break traction.

feint drifts as well as braking drifts can be used to just as good an effect, it just takes a lot more skill to pull off.
So long as the engine is kept in the torque band while drifting there shouln't be too much of a problem.

Suspension setup is far more important for a drifting car than engine power, although both do help Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 31 October 2003 12:27]

pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sat, 01 November 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its all about the tuning.

Jap engines are tuned to run on 100Ron fuel where as aus engines are tuned to run on 91Ron

aus 100Kw tuned on 96Ron and higher comp.

Depending on skill u can drift in any car. Remember drift isnt just power slides u can brake drift use shift lock, handbrake, Feint and Lift off.

Just ideas.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sat, 01 November 2003 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where can i find a big wide space to practice besides industrial area...

and i dont wanna get troubled with pigs and all...
just a big wide space for me to spin my car around...donuts or whatever..

in SA btw..
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sat, 01 November 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phwar...... man you live in Adelaide and you are asking us where there are places to practice your drifting?? I thought SA was the place to be re: drifting events....

Just keep it off the streets man.......
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sat, 01 November 2003 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm in adelaide but i dont know SA that well yet
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sat, 01 November 2003 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In an old wheels magazine i have from the late 80's it has the 1st gen mr2 listed as 88kw and the ae82 twincam listed as 86kw. what's the difference between these engines?
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sat, 01 November 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
surely when equiped with a set of dodgy 165's/155's even a holden sunbird could "drift".

as far as adelaide goes, talk to the guys at jms and see what day of the week they go out to port gawler (go cart track, but after you sign over your soul they let you take your car out there, has plenty of run-off area and is a very tight track, so good to practice drifting).
matty.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matty: so they do have practice session which is not the Drift event rite?

i was told that car owners need to be in a car club in order to use the track...what club should sprinter cars join?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so my JDM ae86 trueno will make 97kw on Premium-ULP?

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!1
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul, go to an industrial area b4 hitting the track
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan: industrial area arent really safe from the cops...the only time to go there would be at night..i rather pay for a track rather than paying for the fine..

plus..i dont wanna date the curbs..
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u need 4ag + lsd/locker before worrying about going out drifting

cops to some extent dont really care about people drifting in industrial areas as the people who do it are ussually only endangering themselves and not the general public.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=ae95 wrote on Mon, 03 November 2003 03:07]u need 4ag + lsd/locker before worrying about going out drifting [quote]

LOL! Laughing , thats a myth, ill show you some video footage of 4a-c and a fucked open wheeler just to prove u wrong, but you are right it does help sooooo much as i have driven both

satoshi, go to an industrial area man, i go out quite often ( when it rains ) and i have never had an issue, just have you r wits about u, dont stay n e where for too long, and if heaps of people rock up thats your cue to leave you ll be fine, plus if you rock up to a track and cant do a thing i would be embarrassed, learn at your own rate, not with 3,000 people looking on
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
threegeese wrote on Fri, 31 October 2003 13:05

Simon, well done! that is a most impressive display. What are your suspension specs? Do you have a lsd in that car?

thanks dude, yeah i have a TRD 2 way lsd, sure helps.

My susp is what makes the car a drifter, its got coilovers, all the right bets and settings, its really quite different to drive then a stock ae86.

JDM Bigports make 97 kw's
Aust delivered 4age with bigports make 88 kw's due to timing and ron changes.

sure a 4ac with open diff could "drift" but are we talking aout 4-5 multiple corners linked up? doubt it. 4age stock with lsd and susp would do this.

even a 4ac with the susp + lsd would be a tough drifter if driven by someone with half a clue Wink
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Sun, 02 November 2003 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Mon, 03 November 2003 03:37

u need 4ag + lsd/locker before worrying about going out drifting

cops to some extent dont really care about people drifting in industrial areas as the people who do it are ussually only endangering themselves and not the general public.

Just make sure you have third party property insurance No No No
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Mon, 03 November 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in adelaide drifting in an indutrial estate is asking for trouble now.. as some of the well known spots u will quite often find patrols going aroujhnd every 15 mins or cops stakeing out car parks.

take it to a track
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Mon, 03 November 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried drifting in the wet first at slow speeds and gradually get faster and better each time i tried.

Propably the most important thing is to feel the car as you give it a go, get the feel for the car, find out what works and what doesnt.

Remember that different surfaces have different grip levels, especially in the wet. More power maybe needed or less power depending on the situation.

Get a feel for the car first, the things it likes and dislikes then progress from there.

And before you know it you'll be up there with the best of them.

Steve
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Mon, 03 November 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

In an old wheels magazine i have from the late 80's it has the 1st gen mr2 listed as 88kw and the ae82 twincam listed as 86kw. what's the difference between these engines?

Difference probably has something to do with the exhaust set up. Im assuming the MR2 is a fair bit shorter.

And if the 86kw 4AGE's are 97kw in Jap spec, does that mean the local 100kw 4AGE's are more powerful in jap spec?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Mon, 03 November 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you just wanna learn the basics dirt roads are perfect for practice, no need for power, no need to worry about cops.
just watch out for ditches if you have 40 series tyres like I did.
Sad
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Mon, 03 November 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skaney your paint is mint, y would u go to a dirt road!! my paint is fucked an i wouldnt do it, lol,

yeh it is true cops to chillin the jms car parks from time to time, advice be careful, or find new spots!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Mon, 03 November 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - i find it hard enough to break traction in my Gt4 even to get it to wiggle unless its belting down rain or theres oil on the road..

PESKY awd and good suspension and sticky tyres ..

Grip is my emeny !! Very Happy

Ahh sand/gravel .. Sand ill be able to slip a little .... NOOOO!! traction!!! - My foe !! pesky AWD AGAIN!

Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Wed, 05 November 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Getting back to 4ag power. Is there red tops and blue tops that can classify what power they put out or is this in accurate
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: can a 4ag 86kw .... Wed, 05 November 2003 07:00 Go to previous message
haha truenosedan. Yeah I get asked that alot. I love driving through mount crawford more than anywhere else, the only chips I have gotten so far was accidentely from my mate infront of me.

Oh and I bent one of my 17s pretty bad over the weekend. Stockys on the rear now until I get my minilites Smile

...hoping it rains tonight Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Backfire!
Next Topic:Roller Rockers on a ST184
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 04:28:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007317066192627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.