Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 07:20 Go to next message
I pulled the diff centre from an Aussie MA61 Supra today, expecting to find a 3.909:1 ratio with LSD, but instead found an open 4.1:1 Sad Confused

What's going on? I thought all MA61's were LSD, this one even has the right axle code on the firewall (F313), but it clearly isnt the case here... Is it likely that someone would throw in a non LSD Hemisphere to save the cost of rebuilding the clutchpacks if it was stuffed? It all seems a bit wierd. Shocked

Cheers
Phil
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
betcha someone busted the lsd and dumped the cheapest diff in there they could find

edit: not altogether uncommon, unfortunately - the ma61 lsd is a prized item for all ma61 owners

[Updated on: Sun, 02 November 2003 08:24]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugger!

I spose they would have had to use a complete centre from another car, since its a different ratio too. I wonder if a Cressida IRS diff is interchangeable?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
possibly
ma61 lsds can be had for $300, but you gotta find soeone willing to part with one first Sad
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I wonder if the previous owner placed a RA65 Diff to replace my MA61 Diff...

I hope not... How would I find out if I had an single spinner? (Without taking it down the back (dirt) roads and floor it?)

Cheers.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
measure the ratios (not fun)

for some lsds, you can jack up the rear end of the car and turn one wheel - but I cant remember what the other wheel should do on ma61s Razz
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An LSD diff 'should' rotate both driving wheels in the same direction when off the ground, rotating one by hand. This wont apply if the clutch packs are worn enough though, which is apparrently not uncommon with MA61's that have done a few km without regular oil changes.

With an open diff, the wheels will spin in opposite directions.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hence the simple only way to really tell....

rip a big fat burnout
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey All,

Just jacked up my car and spun one tyre... the other rotates in the opposite direction Shocked ... can anyone else confirm if theirs do that?

Cheers
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's exactly what the one that I just pulled out of the MA61 does... and it aint no LSD Mad
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noooooooooooooo Mad !

I must have a Single Spinner... I have to go to my Tranny place and beg them to look and see if my Supra is fitted with a bloody RA65 Diff. (What was a RA65 Diff Ratio for an Auto was?)

To rest my mind I am going to go to an empty dirt carpark and floor my car a few times to see if it is a single spinner...

I *hope* that the car is fitted with a tired LSD else I am screwed Crying or Very Sad

Cheers.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 02 November 2003 19:24

...edit: not altogether uncommon, unfortunately - the ma61 lsd is a prized item for all ma61 owners

I think when my car was with the previous owner, they did the povo job and did an exchange of my diff... from an LSD to a single spinner...

I have had my car up on a hoist and engaged it in drive, both wheels spin, is this normal for an LSD or it's common that single spinners and LSD do it?

Cheers.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEY ALL!

Confused I had to take my car to the back of the suburb and do a few line lockers on dirt Confused

Both wheels spin when I stall the car up so i believe it means that I have an LSD! Very Happy

Disregard previous messages...

Cheers.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sun, 02 November 2003 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, mx73 cressida autos all had 4.1:1 open diffs
and its the exact same housing as a supra
100% straight swap
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Mon, 03 November 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry but this means nothning, an open diff can spin BOTH Wheels if it wants to, esp on dirt. Every car ive had with an open diff will spin both wheels on dirt no worries.

ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 02 November 2003 22:45

HEY ALL!

Confused I had to take my car to the back of the suburb and do a few line lockers on dirt Confused

Both wheels spin when I stall the car up so i believe it means that I have an LSD! Very Happy

Disregard previous messages...

Cheers.

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Mon, 03 November 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one wheel on the dirt one on tar, dump it that should do it
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Mon, 03 November 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly if anyone has an MA61 LSD and is a little scared of drifting, I can help you out with an open centre for your car. Could probably even do a direct exchange of centres for nufin. Very Happy

Anyhow. To check if it is an LSD. Jack it up and turn one wheel by hand as draven and TE72_Turbo said. If the wheels spin in opposing directions, then you can be fairly confident that it is an open centre. If they spin in the same direction, then it is either an LSD or an open diff with really crook bearings.

A clutch type LSD should be very difficult to turn the wheels in opposing directions. I can't remember what the numbers are but it should be set to somewhere like 100-200 ft.lb. of torque. If you do have an LSD that is relatively easy to turn the wheels in opposing directions, then it is time for a rebuild.

As far as wether two wheels spin when you dump it, that is a bit of a fallacy. The MA61 has an independent rear suspension, therefore there is no torque reaction to transfer weight from one wheel to the other. If your car suspension/balance is relatively even side to side, then even an open centre will light up both tyres. This incedently is the reason why mose live axle cars with open centres spin the RHS weel and not the Left.

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Mon, 03 November 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now it really makes me wonder if i have an LSD or not... Opening the back of the diff (on my own) is out of the question and doing burnouts to see does nothing to see if it is LSD (though attract the Police). I have no other choice then to see my machanic and get them to have a look.

Cheers.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Mon, 03 November 2003 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Automatic MA61's come with 4.1's... and LSD's can wear out, y'know.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Mon, 03 November 2003 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could try getting into a parking lot and turning tight steady circles. If the back end breaks easily it is an LSD. if the inside wheel spins it is either open or the LSD is really loose.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Tue, 04 November 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's really no sure-fire way to know if the diff is an LSD centre without pulling the back cover off. All of the tests mentioned above are only valid if the LSD is actually working, but since we're talking about 20+ year old diffs here, there's a very good chance the clutch packs have lost all their preload - which means it will behave exactly like an open diff.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Tue, 04 November 2003 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help Norbie...

Gold28, I would take my car to the parking lot but the Police are out inforce since a few hoons have been using it as a skid pan...

I'll wait till Thursday and send the car in for a diff service and repack if necessary...

Cheers.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Tue, 04 November 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u COULD take the cover off yourself for a look... it aint rocket science
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Tue, 04 November 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remember to drain the oil first, or prepare for a facefull of oil Razz

once the cover is off, its really obvious if its LSD or not, you wont be able to see the spider gears with the LSD hemisphere, as its fully encased.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Tue, 04 November 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or try parking it down hill(so the oil goes away from the back plate) and take the oil filler plug off and look for the clutch packs.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sat, 24 January 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Mon, 03 November 2003 20:05

Automatic MA61's come with 4.1's... and LSD's can wear out, y'know.

7M-Brisbane, You are RIGHT Razz , My LSD is worn out as said it was a slipper!, Doesn't matter now. I have the TrueTrac Installed Very Happy

Cheers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Fri, 30 January 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is the code on the firewall to determine whether your supra has the 3.9:1 or the 4.1:1 diff??

allan took a look at mine and we *think* its the 4.1:1........

edit: my supra happily hangs a big 2 wheel, 2 big fat line burnout on bitumen, where the celica will only leave one line... so i assume my LSD is fine (the car has only done 120000kms)

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 06:31]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Fri, 30 January 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the code on the firewall for the axle?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Fri, 30 January 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Click here to check your diff codes...Axle Codes

Since mine is F293 and is an Auto.
F - Series Diff 7.5"
29 - 4.10 Ratio
3 - 2 Pinion LSD

Cheers.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 with open 4.1:1 diff ???!! Sat, 31 January 2004 06:12 Go to previous message
After seeing your car today Evil,

F313 with a manual is:
F - Series Diff 7.5"
31 - 3.909 Ratio
3 - 2 Pinion LSD

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

*Edit: Engrish Surprised

[Updated on: Sat, 31 January 2004 06:17]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cat heat sheild requirements in WA