Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA70 problems...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wUbAh
Occasional Poster

November 2003

icon9.gif  MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 05:16 Go to next message
Hi all,

I got meself a TurboA MA70 and i have two problems (among others):

1) Master clutch cylinder has packed in. I am considereing reconditioning it. It is worth the trouble or easier to just find a new one?

2) I have a rather interesting clunking noise coming from the steering rack (i think) when i turn the wheel more than about 45 degrees. I have tried to find it and it sounds like its coming from where the column connects to the rack. Has anyone had a similar problem with their MA70?

Thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: Clutch master - yes it is worth reconditioning it as long as the bore isn't scored. I did mine ages ago, and think it was around $30 for the kit from toyota.

Clunking noise? Mine does that too, when on full lock. I'd like to know the answer to this too!
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One would avoid the toyota parts department if one knew what was good for ones wallet...

PBR does a reco kit for the master cylinder, Repco, Supercheap Auto, Auto One etc. will have them. I can't recall exactly but I think I paid about $12.
wUbAh
Occasional Poster

November 2003

Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah they priced the seals at $14
The hone is about $20

Was speaking to a mate tonight and he rekons it might be the UV joint in the steering column which could explain alot, or he rekoned it could be a structural problem (knock on wood).

89supra
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car also has the noise when its at full lock. it must be a supra thing.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok lets see here...

Clutch master cyl get it stainless steel sleaved and thay kit it for you and it should outlast the car about $50

Clunk can be

Front lower control arm bushes $???, baljoints $183 each, rack bushes $50ish or even just the little nylon lock stop covers

Allan
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My clunk went with the balljoints.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Wed, 05 November 2003 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm - I've replaced my lower control arm bushes (with Noltec or Super-Pro) so it must be the ball joints. Damn - $183 each!! Is that a toyota genuine part price? Can they be got cheaper?
fstrnldr
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 06 November 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most likey due to missing steering stop caps. Look at the backside of the wheel/disc assembly, on the knuckle. There's a bolt that hits a sort of curved bracket right next to where the strut mounts to the lower control arm. This bolt head should have a white plastic cap on it. They sell for $5-$10 at the dealer.

thats taken from an archive off the SOGI list so prices are US ... but i have heard of this many times before ... good luck guys

Brandon
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 06 November 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Generally getting a cylinder cleaned, honed, rekitted and repainted is about $30 - you're looking at more like $50 if you want it resleeved - in my experience stainless sleeves seem to cost a bit more again.

If you can do it yourself, the seals are about $3 and some emery paper is about $1...

Don't know about suspension - suspension is for girls Razz
OP111
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 01 December 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: Clunk

Other option is a worn bearing in the steering column.

Though I would check the the other possibilities because apparently the steering column where the bearing resides is a one peice unit and un-serviceable? A good one from a wrecker may be only fix.

There used to be a techtip on SOGI website that had most of this info.

They do have a blow up of a shaft if that helps

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/sr/SR_0 4.html

OP
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 01 December 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Clutch Master Cyl was $45 brand new
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 01 December 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My clutch master cylinder came to around $68, half labour, half parts. It is the same as yours. Definitely worth reconditioning.
wUbAh
Occasional Poster

November 2003

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 15 April 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well after a long and hard battle with the clutch cylinder and the steering there's finally results:

I recond the clutch cylinder (honed and new seals) and it works great....thanks for the help guys! Very Happy

As for the clunk, after a new ball joint its still there so it has to be the bushes as you suggested Lumpy.
I checked them out and they are gone Crying or Very Sad
Has anyone gone and changed them? Ie how much effort is it?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 15 April 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never changed the bushes in double wishbone suspension, but having looked at it I don't think I'd bother trying... looks like a job best left to a workshop with the proper equipment!
wUbAh
Occasional Poster

November 2003

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 15 April 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changing the ball joint was an effort in itself...oh well spose its better to get them to do it anyway Rolling Eyes
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 15 April 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I changed mine (lower wishbone only) when the crossmember was out during the conversion. From memory a set of Noltec bushes for the lower control arms were $150.

Then I had to get the local mechanic to press out the existing knackered bushes because they refused to be shifted even with our 20 tonne press at home. They're kind of bonded to the wishbone and a right bastard to get out. Having the mechanic remove them cost $40.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 April 2004 06:14]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 15 April 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at my car, every bush under there is virtually non existant! I guess that would be the source of my clunking, and any other noises would be due to the leaking p/s fluid.

What should I get done in normal rubber and what is worth getting done in nolathane or equivilant?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Fri, 16 April 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure how many bushes you can get in Nolthalane/Noltec etc - when I last looked it was only the lower front wishbone. I'd do the lot in urethane if I could - but it might not be a very comfortable ride. Control arms, swaybar mounts, steering rack mounts all benefit from urethane (IMHO)

Urethane style bushes can be squeaky if not greased properly and are generally stiffer -they don't have as much "give" as rubber so if you are travelling a long time on bumpy roads it'll be a bit rough.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Fri, 16 April 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day again mate!

It's already a rough ride with the lowered springs and old shocks! I think I might just get all new rubber bushes if it works out cheaper. Or maybe just plastic bushes to stop the diff bouncing (where would that be?).

Smile
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to be a thread whore... but its on this topic!

I'm after nolathane bushes for my Soarer. Anybody gone in this direction? where did you source the bushes from? I just called Nolathane.com.au (on the phone) and the guy said that he hasn't made MA70 style bushes for about 5 years! Sad

where did you all get yours from?

Dan
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine were noltec ones not nolathane - got them from rare spars on South Rd in Adelaide. Or maybe they were Super-Pro??? Can't remember....
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 16:21

Re: Clutch master - yes it is worth reconditioning it as long as the bore isn't scored. I did mine ages ago, and think it was around $30 for the kit from toyota.

Clunking noise? Mine does that too, when on full lock. I'd like to know the answer to this too!

Mine makes that bloody clunking noise too! Mad
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine too...

Dan
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in Adelaide so I might go to Rare Spares on South Road. What Bushes should I get? All of them? Confused
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm looks like I'll have to get under my car aswell, I work at repco and I can have a ring around for u if u like. I could get you some part numbers, and most of the automotive stores should be able to cross reference the numbers to their own. Just need to tell me exactly what ones u were after, and I'll give it a go from there.

Adam
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Thu, 22 July 2004 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not exactly sure what mine are called, but they are all shagged!

So I need all of them? Very Happy

Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 02 August 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine also has the problem with the clunking on full lock, as did my RA40, but I believe the fault with my MA70 is partially due to a crack in the bracket holding the steering rack causing a lot a free play while cornering.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 02 August 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okies for all people looking for bushes. All my bushes were shot. The job is definitely left best to a workshop. Now Toyota doesn’t sell the bushes but the whole lower arm. (if u want to change the bottom control arm bushes which are usually the main culprit)I have found some trough Burson’s Auto parts (Repco don’t do supras/soarers. When you want the bushes you specify the supra only MA70 (same things). The are 180 dollars for each fork for the front and about same for the back. They are Nolthalane. Now i didn't know this unfortunelty and had my custom made. I changed all the bushes, front back,balljoints and laborur (get a chair Sad ) for $1200. After I changed that and the damn tail shaft bearing the car is better then 100 000 kays ago. Runs beautiful, no vibrations and no CLUNK!! like it use to have when you turn the steering.
So yeah there my 2c
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 02 August 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SuperPro part number SPF1443K MA70 front lower control arm bushes cost me $120

Rack bushes I got from toyota and upper control arm bushes are available from a guy on planetsoarer.com

Upper ball joint is not serviceable, you have to buy a whole arm from toyota

Allan
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Mon, 02 August 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fucking money pit! Dammit this has to be done as well. Cheers for the info.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 problems... Fri, 06 August 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan: Are you talking about Vlamous Bushes for JZZ30's? Do they fit GZ20s/MA70's too? Which one in particular?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Fri, 06 August 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have not tryed it yet but the upper controll arms look to be the same and others have swaped parts of JZZ30/JZA80 front ends into MA70's
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70 problems... Sat, 07 August 2004 00:08 Go to previous message
lumpy wrote on Fri, 16 April 2004 12:10

I'm not sure how many bushes you can get in Nolthalane/Noltec etc - when I last looked it was only the lower front wishbone. I'd do the lot in urethane if I could - but it might not be a very comfortable ride. Control arms, swaybar mounts, steering rack mounts all benefit from urethane (IMHO)

Urethane style bushes can be squeaky if not greased properly and are generally stiffer -they don't have as much "give" as rubber so if you are travelling a long time on bumpy roads it'll be a bit rough.

in my gz10 all bushes are urethane.. the ride is a bit rough.. but not OVERLY bad unless your on a really shit road.. and handling improvement was mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2S-C Head Torque Settings
Next Topic:1JZ universal lambda replacement?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 03:43:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068328380584717 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.