Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Thu, 30 October 2003 10:53 Go to next message
Hi all,
I getting close to buying a Microtech fuel/ignition system to run my 3T GTE.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with-
What is the best oxygen sensor to use?

I want to keep the dizzy and dual coils, can the dizzy be used for getting crank angle positions? If so, how and what do I have to do?

What air temp sensor should I use? Where should it be fitted? (before or after turbo?)

Besides the air temp, oxygen sensor and crnak angle I assume its pretty easy to install?

Thanks,
Simon
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Thu, 30 October 2003 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it have a stock oxy sensor?
if it does, that would be fine.

air temp sensor is best installed as close to the inlet plenum as possible (after turbo and cooler)
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Thu, 30 October 2003 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't have to have an oxygen sensor or air temp sensor. However, it does add extra tuning options, i ran mine for a few months without it, just RPM, CAS, Water Temp, i think was it. Mine is currently getting the works added to the MicroTech.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Thu, 30 October 2003 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22 GT wrote on Thu, 30 October 2003 21:53

Hi all,
I getting close to buying a Microtech fuel/ignition system to run my 3T GTE.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with-
What is the best oxygen sensor to use?

I want to keep the dizzy and dual coils, can the dizzy be used for getting crank angle positions? If so, how and what do I have to do?

What air temp sensor should I use? Where should it be fitted? (before or after turbo?)

Besides the air temp, oxygen sensor and crnak angle I assume its pretty easy to install?

Thanks,
Simon

Depending on the Dizzy that is fitted to the motor depends on the options you can get, if it just has a single magnetic pickup in the sizzy like most toyotas you will still have to run your dizzy and factory coil, if you have a dizzy like a late model 4age you can multi coils and DFI etc.

air temp sensor can be ordered with the ecu, they are about $40 with a connector, it is a delco type,

you wont need the oxy sensor, it does nothing and will not be accurate either,

the install is not too hard but if you havent done one before put a full day aside for it, just make sure you run the power wires direct to the battery and the pink wire to IGN + on.

Dale
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Fri, 31 October 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the oxygen sensor there to give feedback to the ECU about the mixture so it can try and get it right?
If not, why is the oxygen sensor there?

Do most people fit the air temp sensor close to the inlet plenum? I thought it had to go before the turbo inlet?

Can anyone confirm if I can use the stock 3T GTE dizzy as a crank angle sensor?

Thanks,
Simon
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Fri, 31 October 2003 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah b4 the plenum
not much use know how hot it is b4 it gets heated up
and i dont think u can use the stock dizzy as a cas
give yellowrolla (Jason) a buzz
he can whip u up a CAS
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Fri, 31 October 2003 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can use the dizzy with the microtech. It probably needs to be locked though. The oxy sensor is required if you want to run a computer in closed loop mode right?
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Fri, 31 October 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, oxygen sensor near the plenum sounds good.

I have been told that the dizzy needs to be locked and can be used as a CAS, I just don't know how to do it.

Has anyone fitted a CAS direct to the crank pulley somehow? I'm thinking that although this is a bit harder, it is probably a better option.

Simon
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude - oxy sensor goes in your exhaust
air intake temp sensor goes next to the plenum
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CAS = Cam angle sensor, not crank angle sensor..

if you run a crank angle sensor, you can only have wasted or dizzy.
if you run cam angle sensor, you can have coil per plug.

oxygen sensor 'does nothing' except when you are cruising and running in closed loop. a narrow band sensor can only detect stoich mixtures (it's basically an on/off switch), so when you are cruising/light load, the ECU should alter mxture so that the O2 sensor keeps switching.

it will improve your cruising fuel economy, and it is useful in tuning the lower half of the table, but wideband is better (look for Tech Edge WB, about $500-600 if you assemble yourself)

if you have a fitting in your exhaust manifold already, use that, and use any old sensor, if not weld a fitting to the point where the exhaust joins up, and run a heated sensor. i have some Bosch and NTK 4-wire, heated, narrow band sensors for $60 Wink

Cya, Stewart
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting
so there's no point me running crank and cam angle sensors (like I am) ?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, that depends on what they are used for...

as i understand it, a crank angle sensor can be used to give RPM, and also TDC, but doesn't know which half of the engine cycle is happening (ie on a 4cyl, either 1 or 4)

a cam angle sensor can give you both RPM and actual engine cycle position. since it is liek a dizzy in it's position info, it will know if cyl1 or cyl4 is at TDC, so you can have coil per plug. it will also give you RPM, but that's a little trickier. this is cos if you have 1 tooth per cylinder on the CamAS, then you have 4 pulses per cycle, or 2 pulse per rpm, so you need to divide it.

usually tho, no1 TDC will have two close teeth, so there are maybe 5 teeth per engine cycle..

obviously this requires a bit of computing setup as you can't just run at and expect it to work...

i would guess that your crank sensor is for rpm, and the cam sensor is for firing wasted spark???
i'd love to have a look in a couple of months Smile
Cya, Stewart

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrm
well it's not running wasted spark - threw that out with the old ecu :)hopefully it'l be on the road reasonably soon, so you'll be able to see it
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll also need both crank and cam angle if you want to run sequential injection (does the microtech supports it)?

FWIW, the factory ECU for the 1G is batch fired injec. and i'd guess that other powerplants of same or slightly later era will be batch fired.

charles.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aahhh
that explains it
yeah, I have sequential
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven,
Oops, don't know why I typed oxygen sensor when I meant air temp sensor at the plenum.

I gotta say that the whole crank angle/cam angle sensor is getting confusing and different people tell me different things. I know how the crank angle sensor works but how does a cam angle sensor work and where is the pick up point?

I think the Microtech supports sequential firing, but does this make a big difference in HP?

I can't see how I can use my stock 3T GTE dizzy as a crank angle sensor as some people have said. Where would the signal come from?
I'm not building a mega HP engine, I just want to have a good reliable street car. So if I can get good performance using the Microtech with the standard dizzy and coils then that suits me.

Simon
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22 GT wrote on Sat, 01 November 2003 19:37

I think the Microtech supports sequential firing, but does this make a big difference in HP?

if you were racing or spending a lot of time at WOT then yes, otherwise, would be minimal - this is merely my opinion - expect many to disagree.

plus, if the wiring loom to your injectors is setup for sequential, you'll have to find a way of telling the ecu engine speed and crank/cam position so it knows which pot is about to fire.

Quote:

I can't see how I can use my stock 3T GTE dizzy as a crank angle sensor as some people have said. Where would the signal come from?

you would be hijacking/sharing the existing inductive pickups for timing - assuming that the trigger wheels had the right number of teeth

Microtech's wed site/manual may have more info on hos to use existing engine pickups <http://www.microtechefi.com/>

charles.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 01 November 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the new microtechs can do sequencial firing and fuel

if u have only one trigger from the std dizzy then u will prob not even have sequential injection
how many outputs does std dizzy have?

u need 2 triggers

one trigger is for cylinders
the other is to tell microtech that its top dead centre and to start the firing seqwuence

always try to run an air temp sensor
otherwise during winter and summer yr mixtures might be out

the oxy sensor doesnt do much
i never wire them on a microtech unless its easy
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sun, 02 November 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took the dizzy cap off today and found that there is only 4 pick ups for spark. I assume its the same for all old 4 bangers?
Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot? The stock 3T GTE has twin spark but from what I see, both plugs fire at the same time?
I assume from this that I will need to use a crank angle sensor so the ECU can change timing under boost etc?

I think I will do the following-
Install either a Microtech LT or LTX8

Fit an oxygen sensor at the back of the turbo housing (most likely a 4 wire from a Holden or late Toyota)

Fit a air temp sensor at the plenum inlet (maybe from a late Toyota)

Re-use the existing twin coils and dizzy.

Fit a crank angle sensor? Unless someone can tell me for sure I can use the pick up from my existing dizzy.

Any other tips?

Simon
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sun, 02 November 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u will need a delco air temp sensor
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sun, 02 November 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ring microtech and see what they say
but i think u should be able to use the original dizzy

if not they can modify the dizzy for u to suit the microtech they sell u

and ask them if the injection is sequential with the std dizzy
i think its not
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sun, 02 November 2003 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the o2 sensor is there only for cruse on the factory ecu, the microtech is user set cruse and only uses the oxy sensor for the display!

with the 4 pickups you will not be able to have sequentil injection and coil per plug you will only be able to run the stock coil/dizzy setup,

old corolla,

you are wrong with the crank angle sensor, you can run DFI and sequential injection with the correct setup, 100kw 4age for example can do this, toyota generally have a 24 tooth wheel and a single tooth wheel, the 24 tooth tells the ecu how fast the motor is going and the reference to where the motor is and the single is TDC.

you dont need a delco air temp sensor, you can use a stock toyota sensor,

Dale
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Mon, 03 November 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 wrote on Mon, 03 November 2003 10:36

old corolla,

you are wrong with the crank angle sensor, you can run DFI and sequential injection with the correct setup, 100kw 4age for example can do this, toyota generally have a 24 tooth wheel and a single tooth wheel, the 24 tooth tells the ecu how fast the motor is going and the reference to where the motor is and the single is TDC.

Hi Dale,
i respect that you might know more about microtechs than me, but...

with the 24/1 wheel on the crankshaft the ECU will know when TDC will be for sayy.. Cylinders 1 and 4.
BUT how does it know which cylinder is at TDC??? for true sequential and for coil per plug firing, the ECU also needs to know which half of the engine cycle it is in..

ie, is cylinder 1 or cylinder 4 firing at TDC...

otherwise, it can only run cylinders 1 and 4 as a batch setup, for both spark (wasted) and injection (not true sequential, even if it does fire twice per engine cycle)

can you clear this up for me?

Cya, Stewart
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Mon, 03 November 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a crank angle sensor runs at half the speed of the motor, so the single pickup is always TDC, it is basically a dizzy style setup

crank sensors where the sensor is a optical or magnetic on the pully on the front of the motor will require a cam sensor ie EJ20,

all the toyotas i have seen run a crank angle sensor setup which runs at 1/2 the engine speed,

to be perfectly honest the only motors you can really notice a difference in using sequentil injection is a 13b, 4ages 4efe, 4efte etc dont notice any difference weather it is sequential or group fire, they all idle the same, cruse the same etc

Dale
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Mon, 03 November 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhhh Smile

so why do they call it a 'crank angle sensor' when
1) it is not on the crank?
2) it does not run at crank speed?

if points 1 and 2 are true, then it is actually measuring cam angle, not crank angle Wink

so the on the 4AG, the device which looks remarkably similar to the bottom half of a dizzy, and sits where the dizzy does, and measures the cam angle, is actually called the 'crank angle sensor'??

thanks for clearing that up Very Happy

LOL, ahhh, sequential.... after talking to a production engineer for one of the 'big 3' about the years of dyno time they clocked up phasing injectors.... all i can say is that you'd want to have a dyno in your backyard to make the most of it....

Dale, what sort of % gain do you see on the 13B's and what rpm/load does it occur?, what duty cycle where the injectors running at? do the injectors fire once per rotor per rev?
umm, maybe Pm me Wink
thanks, Stewart

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Mon, 03 November 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who knows whay they call it a crank angle sensor, on the 13b it is driven off the crank tho!

yes the device on the 4agze and 20v that looks like the bottom of a dizzy is the crank angle sensor! i dont know why they call them that!

thats the thing i played around with sequential on the 4efte starlet and it made 1-2 hp more and a little more torque but that was about it!

on a 13b you dont gain any more power, you just get a rock solid idle with big injectors (im talking 1200 primarys) thats why microtechs work better on the 13b's than haltech and the rest, they can run full sequential on the 13b.

you will gain a little better cruse as well but at WOT you dont gain anything, a 13b really loves the fuel it dosent care how it gets it! on my own car i had to change the injector timing to get rid of a miss at about 6500rpm, 30deg change on the injectors fixed it!

Dale
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Mon, 03 November 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys,
So for a twin spark/coil 3T GTE, can I get sequential injection by using a crank angle sensor together with the standard dizzy pickup and LTX8 Microtech system?

Sounds like I should forget about using an oxygen sensor? Seems strange to use one if it doesn't do anything...

Finally, can someone please explain sequential injection and wasted and batch spark in basic terms?
Is all this added control going to make a huge difference on a street car? Should I just keep it basic by using the Mircotech, standard dizzy and coils and going for so called direct fire injection.

Simon
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Mon, 03 November 2003 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no you cant use your standard dizzy at all, you will need to fit a 4age 100kw or something along those lines,

sequential injection is where the ecu fires the injector when each cylinder is coming up to the point where it needs the fuel, on a batch fire system it fires all 4 injectors at the same time 4 times per cycle,

i would use your standard dizzy, igniter and coil and just run it like that, you can still control all the ignition and fuel and on a street car you will notice jack difference, the only difference will be in the pain in the butt factor trying to put all these other sensors on the motor.

Dale
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Tue, 04 November 2003 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon,

Dude - seriously do yourself a favour and talk to someone who ACTUALLY knows, not just claims to or thinks they do !

Fuel injection and dyno tuning are an art form and like most artforms to many hacks offer their opionion and claim to know whats best. (No offence to anyone in this thread at all just an industry wide problem)

You will know when you are talking to someone who actually knows what they are on about.

As for Microtech.... the is a new one coming any day now ! All I can say is wait for that one if you decide to go with microtech. They are one of the cheapest systems out there that actually works alright and the new one will control things nicer than the current version. It should also be around the same price. (Around $1050 retail) and will most likely run fine with the factory ignition set up. (I would need to confirm this for you)

And yes the 3TGTE does fire both plugs at the same time as stock. With something like an Autronic SMC you can change that Smile but they are around $1910 and require a revised ignition system.

You do get what you pay for with EFI computers dude and you knwo which one I have.

And yes it will probably run on most of them out there but how nice it will be to drive is a completely different story Sad Keep things such as idle control in mind and as for sequential verses batch fire, thats kinda EFI verses carby !

thats my restrained 2c anyway.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Tue, 04 November 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rod,
I'm going down to my local performance centre to talk to an expert on Microtech. Like you say, everyone has their opinion and at the moment I don't know what to believe.

So tell me, is this new Microtech going to have a different number or something? How do you know its happening?

I do like the Autronic system, but its a bit more than I can justify for what I plan to use the car for. But it would be nice thats for sure.

Do you know anyone thats good with Microtech? I would like to know if they think the 3T GTE will run well using the standard dizzy and coils with an LT8 Mirotech.

Cya,
Simon
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Tue, 04 November 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y dont u just ring microtech

call them after 1pm thats when they answer the phone

im 90% sure u will be able to run yr original ignitor, coils and dizzy

microtech will modify the internals of the ecu to suit yr dizzy ignitor and coils
its that easy

the only thing u wont have is sequential injection
which aint a prob its just for smoother idle

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Tue, 04 November 2003 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

the new microtech is not going to be here for a few more weeks yet, there is a delay on the system,

the new one has the following features,

user definable load points,
user definable injector resoultion,
save maps to disk,
32 bit processor,
more outputs,

also retail price will be $1295 not $1050 (current retail is $1095) there is a new dealer structure that is getting implemented and any dealers caught whoring the prices will no longer be dealers,

the first batch will use the same loom as the MT/LT series and early next year there will be a loom change, also the new ones can have the config on the ign changed by dealers ie they dont have to be sent back to microtech, the new range are called LT8s LTX8s etc,

dont bother ringing microtech as they wont tell you a thing until they are ready for sale,

you will be able to use all your stock ign systems, microtech works with toyota 370 and new igniters, i have one running on my misses starlet with the igniter that is inside the dizzy no problems at all.

for those that dont know me i am one of the biggest microtech dealers in AU, i am also one of the very few ( 2 people in Australia) that have actually be trained by microtech on install and tuning of the LT series systems, and i install on average 2 systems a week and tune up to 5 a week,

Toyman75,

you are more than welcome to come and watch me on the dyno if you think i dont know what i am doing im going to be up there on friday give me a call on 0412 044 456, i have installed more microtechs on toyotas than just about anything else...

Dale

[Updated on: Tue, 04 November 2003 21:12]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Wed, 05 November 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale,

Dude, please don't think I was questioning your knowledge or ability in any way. I did say my comments were not directed at anyone in this thread. They were more a heads up for his local workshops as Simon isn't blessed with the quality of tuners we can find in NSW.

Dominic is actually supposed to be coming over to the workshop tomorrow (was supposed to be there today) and last we were advised the priceing structure was being maintained ? Sounds like you may be better informed on that tho as we are just awaiting their release for the final run down.

Either way once they are available Microtech will make it well known what they are worth. The new system really does look like it will be a good improvement on any already good product.

Just out of curiosity where do you work ?
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Wed, 05 November 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys,
I called Microtech today and spoke to one of their experts. I am goign to keep the dizzy and coils as well as the original sensors. Sounds like its pretty easy to install.
He did say that any air temp sensor will work as apparently they all have the same output ranges. The only thing I didn't ask was the position of the air temp sensor which I assume should be as close to the throttle body as possible.

Didn't talk to him about the new release, since my car is now off the road I'll have to decide if its worth waiting around for the new system to be released.

Cheers,
Simon
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Wed, 05 November 2003 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyman,

I spoke to simon yesterday and told him to who to contact regarding the purchase and tuning of the ecu,

there is going to be big changes in the way things are done down there soon, the is definatly going to be a price rise i can tell you that, the rest you will have to wait for,

i work at toshiba and also give sales support and techinal support for microtech global when the overseas buyers/dealers when it is needed.

Simon,

if your car is going to be off the road for a while wait for the new system, i cant give you a exact date it will be realeased but when i know ill let you know, i will have one of the first ones so i can tell you all the new features!

Dale
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Thu, 06 November 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale,
The only problem I have is that I have to get my car back on the road my mid December.
Do you think the new version will be out by then?
If not, I will be forced into buying the current system.

Simon
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Thu, 06 November 2003 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know mate, they are 3-4 months late already *hopefully* they would be ready by then!

there is nothing wrong with the current range of LT's they work a treat and can be tuned very very well,

i have just fitted one to my misses 99 starlet and a turbo setup of a GT starlet, its gets better economy than the stock car!

Dale

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Fri, 07 November 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale,
Got a couple more questions for oyu about the Microtech-

- Does the microtech shut off the fuel pump when it senses no air flow to the engine? Eg like the standard AFM does as a safety feature.

-Can I use the LTX8 and still use my existing coils and igniters like I would with the LT8? I do want to run standard coils etc but I'm thinking that buying an LTX8 will give me the flexbility to get rid of the dizzy if I want to at a later date.

Cheers,
Simon
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Fri, 07 November 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Does the microtech shut off the fuel pump when it senses no air flow to the engine? Eg like the standard AFM does as a safety feature.

Yes.

The microtech will prime the pump when you turn the ignition on. If you leave the ignition on without cranking the motor, the pump will stop running after a set time (30 seconds?). When you start cranking the motor, the computer will see this as an RPM reading from the ignition input signal from your dizzy, and start the fuel pump again. If your motor stops running without you turning the ignition off (like in a crash), the Microtech will shut down the fuel pump as soon as it stops seeing the ignition input signal.

Quote:

Can I use the LTX8 and still use my existing coils and igniters like I would with the LT8? I do want to run standard coils etc but I'm thinking that buying an LTX8 will give me the flexbility to get rid of the dizzy if I want to at a later date.

The difference between LT8 and LTX8 is that the "X" models have an internal ignitor module within the ECU, negating the need for you to run the factory one. I am not sure if the LTX is compatible with the dual spark setup on the 3TGTE, again, speak to microtech to see if you need to use the factory ign module with an LT8 only.

Did microtech mention locking the mechanical advance mechanism in the base of the dizzy when you spoke to them?

Cheers
Phil
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 08 November 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil,
Yes, Microtech told me that I must lock the internals on my dizzy. I have to call them again to ask about using an LTX8 with the stock coil ignitor.
The reason I want to keep the original ignitor is so that I can maintain the factory knock control unit.
The output from the knock control goes to the ignitor pack on the orignal coil. I know its pretty old but it seems to detect a knock very well, hence the reason to try and keep it with the Microtech.

Cya,
Simon
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 08 November 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know if you can get rid of the shitty factory coils & ballast resistors? Its strange to see an electronic ignition setup (no points) that still uses ballast resistors, but for some reason, Toyota did it on the 3TGTE..... Confused
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Fitting a MICROTECH system to a 3T GTE??? Sat, 08 November 2003 12:53 Go to previous message
where is the ballast resistor you're talking about?

I can't see it on my 3T GTE. It has twin coils and one of the coils has an ignitor fitted to it.
I'm no expert in EFI, but I thought the ballast resistor was usually mounted on the coil?

I can get rid of the dizzy, coils if I use the LTX8 but the downside of that is I can't keep my knock control unit.
So for now I will be keeping my dizzy, coils and original ignitor. So far I have not had any problems with any of these parts so I can't see the justification for getting rid of them.

Simon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My car is wacked
Next Topic:engine crane to borrow today? (saturday)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 22:58:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081372261047363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.