Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What do you think of additives?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
What do you think of additives? Wed, 05 November 2003 21:34 Go to next message
What do you guys think of additives...?? I use the Nulon Oil flush everytime I change the oil.. but other people say they wont touch the stuff....
  Send a private message to this user    
mrpractical
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: What do you think of additives? Wed, 05 November 2003 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I've found Slick50 to be a real lifesaver. I read the testimonials before using it and thought they were exaggerated, but I know now that they're real. After using it in an old V8, I had an oil pump fail and, listening closely, drove for about 2 kilometres without ANY oil pressure. There was no noise and no damage.

I imagine that it would be just as effective in a newer, hi-tech engine.
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: What do you think of additives? Wed, 05 November 2003 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's some crazy shit
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: What do you think of additives? Wed, 05 November 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slick50? I have heard that stuff was pretty good.... expensive .. but good..
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What do you think of additives? Thu, 06 November 2003 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when my gze was feeling a little sluggish i used wynns injector cleaner...very noticeable difference...acceleration felt alot smoother...didnt notice any ill effects...i'd recommend it
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What do you think of additives? Thu, 06 November 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slick 50 ? Damn... do some more research. There are numerous lawsuits against them in the USA regarding fraudulent claims etc. Basically, their product does nothing from what I've read.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/slick.htm
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
icon11.gif  Re: What do you think of additives? Thu, 06 November 2003 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As has been mentioned previously, if that sort of stuff really does work, especially at the price they sell it for (let alone the manufacture price), the EVERY car compnay would be using it to reduce/remove their warranty problems.

Since no car manufacturers have it on their recommended list, as the saying goes "If it looks like shit, smells like shit, and tastes like shit, then in all probability it is actually shit"

Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Michael B
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What do you think of additives? Thu, 06 November 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, I would be tempted to go an oil flush before my changes though, 'cause my oil gets dirty quite quickly.

I reckon there is no sbustitute for regular oil changes though...
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: What do you think of additives? Thu, 06 November 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate of mine that is a mech at motors said that wynns petrol and the injector cleaner was great so i gave it a try and it worked a treat
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What do you think of additives? Thu, 06 November 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when im going a road trip or something ill ussually throw in some of that octane booster stuff

i get a few more kays to the tank, and it revs a bit smoother higher up but i wouldnt say that its like an instant hp increase...

i just use it for piece of mind really.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What do you think of additives? Fri, 07 November 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Thu, 06 November 2003 13:54

Slick 50 ? Damn... do some more research. There are numerous lawsuits against them in the USA regarding fraudulent claims etc. Basically, their product does nothing from what I've read.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/slick.htm

My mate swears by that stuff. He's got an old fairmont ('92ish model V8), and it's smooth, I mean really smooth, no rattles or anything. And it's high on the kilometers and he's the type of person that goes from cold to loud in a second all the time.

That link you put above is mostly against the claims it makes. I didn't see anything in there that is disputing those claims. I will admit I just skimmed it though.

I can personally say bad things about mobil 1. I used to think it was the best shit ever for my car, until recently. I first used it mid 2002, and it was fine. I then changed it again back in july this year with mobil 1 again (10,000km's later), and my engine rattled (had been rattling for a while), and delveloped worn valve stem seals. But before I first put the stuff in, my engine was 100% perfect.

I then changed it with some 15-50 shell helix synthetic about a month ago ($23 instead of $60), and the rattles are gone and the start up smoke is reduced.

For something that is supposed to be the best and enhance protection, etc, it did the exact opposite. Never again will I buy that overpriced poison. It's too thin @ 5-50. Not even in the newest or latest high tech turbo engines would I put that garbage in. Those require lubrication more than anything else. I'm glad I don't currently have a turbo or it would require a rebuild due to too thin an oil.

And I don't care if it gives a couple of extra KW's, I'd rather have an engine that lasts.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do you think of additives? Fri, 07 November 2003 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you ever thought that it was because you don't have a performance engine with fine tolerances, and that there are other Mobil 1 viscocities than 5w50?

I don't mean to attack, its just I know many people who use Mobil 1 and swear by it, cars run like dreams. Even know people who use that Fuchs 0w oil...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do you think of additives? Fri, 07 November 2003 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stuck the 15w50 (mobil1) stuff in my 1jz - it didn't like it. burnt off 2 litres of it in 3000 kms. shell helix or penrite are my picks.

that said, I do know it works magically in new engines (the 5w50 stuff)

[Updated on: Fri, 07 November 2003 15:46]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What do you think of additives? Sun, 09 November 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Mobile 1 and it doesnt seem to burn any. 5W50. Seems to run fine. What exact oil types do you use Draven?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do you think of additives? Sun, 09 November 2003 04:00 Go to previous message
15w50 shell, or 20w50 penrite
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corolla v Nova??????? r there any problems.................
Next Topic:My AE82s first time at the track (calder)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:40:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059170722961426 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.