Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What colour for intercooler?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tranth17
Occasional Poster

March 2003
What colour for intercooler? Tue, 04 November 2003 21:55 Go to next message
Does anyone know why a lot of intercoolers are just left unpainted but nearly all radiators are painted black. Which colour transfers/removes heat faster? In other words should the intercooler be painted or not?

Does anyone have numbers/data that would show results?

Thanks

Troy
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Tue, 04 November 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shiny aluminium = for looks
black = for more efficient heat transfer
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Tue, 04 November 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite right - that's why my Supra has a black intercooler. I refuse to put any shiny bits on my car. Smile
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: What colour for intercooler? Tue, 04 November 2003 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spray painting any japaneses tuning company will give you an additional 15hp Shocked

Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What colour for intercooler? Tue, 04 November 2003 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black all the way, doesn't draw attention either...unless that is your thing.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I actually have a friend who's a cop, he owns a WRX with a front mount and it's painted black for the lack of attention factor!
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always wanted a black intercooler but didn't have the heart to spray a Trust cooler Sad
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much percent heat transfer over the bare metal are we talking here. Is it worth buying some cheap black spray paint for my Hybrid?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't use black spray paint - it'll probably be too thick and will look shit. Get some "radiator black" (low viscosity black enamel)and dip it - or try and find a radiator place that will dip/coat it for you.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have thought about this a lot, and i have kinda come to a few conclusions. (still would like to do some back to back tests)

black will radiate heat better, but it also absorbs heat better.

anodised (corroded) aluminium is a very good radiator of heat, due to its high surcase area

painting something will increase its thermal resistance (heat has to go through paint as well)

from what some dude was saying, the radiant heat thing is largely irrelevant, as most of the heat from an intercooler will be conducted to the air, or something.

however, if you must paint it, a dark color will be invinitely better than a light color.

i personally wouldn't paint an intercooler
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I asked this question years and years ago. From what I remember is that black will transfer the heat better, but as long as the coat isn't too thick.
If it's too thick, it will just trap the heat rather than transfer it.
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thumbs up to what shinybluesteel is saying. Painting will hinder heat transfer as much as it helps. Realy the only option for improving performance would be to anodise the aluminium alloy black. You can do this in your back yard with some nasty chemicals and a car battery and some pure aluminium.

Painting may cause other problems like restricting air flow and the like.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 11:50

black will radiate heat better, but it also absorbs heat better.

A radiator will only absorb heat when the ambient temperature is higher than the temperature of the radiator; obviously this isn't going to happen during normal operation. Heat always moves downhill!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i just throw a few theories to you all? no? too bad.

radiators usually are black on older cars, but alot of new cars are just leaving them unpainted as you will notice. i THINK that maybe the reason why they are painted black is to make the front of a stock car look better as it doesnt draw attention to the front air passages. aftermarket intercoolers arent painted and i would say this is cause they prob cool better when they are not. i would say aftermarket companies would have investigated the heat transfer of both painted and unpainted.
also if you look at rally car intercoolers (which are quite often out of view under the bonnet) you will notice they do not have paint. just something to ponder.
and besides, the heat difference is probably minimal anyway, but i chose to leave mine black so it doesnt get noticed.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 16:45

aftermarket intercoolers arent painted and i would say this is cause they prob cool better when they are not.

incorrect - you cannot beat the laws of thermodynamics (although acountants claim to)

i would say aftermarket companies would have investigated the heat transfer of both painted and unpainted.

incorrect - they spend far more time establishing what will sell, than what will work

also if you look at rally car intercoolers (which are quite often out of view under the bonnet) you will notice they do not have paint. just something to ponder.

i think i can only leave this to a rally car engineer to answer, as id imagine there are a 1000's of issues relating to what they run - not all being prformance oriented.

and besides, the heat difference is probably minimal anyway

yes, black is such a cool colour isnt it. i love leaning on a black car that been sitting in the sun...
gzesedan
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day,

I had my i/cooler painted black, no one knows you have an intercooler if it is sitting behind your bumper.
But it is true that black has better heat transfer properties.

but shiney coolers look awesome!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What colour for intercooler? Wed, 05 November 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARE had a good article about this on their web page awhile ago! It might still be there Rolling Eyes
But from memory the reason old radiators were painted was because they were made from a material that corroded! Most new radiators are unpainted because they are alloy!
Also on the ARE web page was comparisons between painted and unpainted.

Might be worth a look!
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: What colour for intercooler? Thu, 06 November 2003 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole black or not question is a waste of time in my opinion.

Sure black radiates heat much better than silver however you are not trying to cool the intercooler by radiating it's being cooled by conducting the heat to the air stream. The relative percentage of heat that is released by radiation compared to conduction is minute. It's been a long time since I've needed to know this stuff and I've since offloaded the texts but from memory radiation accounted for around 2 percent of the heat lost from an automotive radiator, which should be about right for an intercooler as well. When conducting heat there is loss of efficiency in the transfer at any junction layer.

So basically if you "paint" an intercooler black you are working to increase the efficiency of the least efficient component of the heat trasfer, while reducing the efficiency of the more efficient component.

Even if the paint increases radiation performance by 100% and only reduces conduction by 3% you are still losing efficiency.

However as with a lot of things with cars these days performance and efficiency aren't necessarily the deciding factors in a choice like this and stealth definately has it's advantages.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2003 09:16]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: What colour for intercooler? Thu, 06 November 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so i get shot down in flames... Confused
with the rally cars, i would say that the main concern would be performance, and if a black cooler was 2% cooler i reckon they would have it black.
what im saying is tho, on a road car would you really notice the difference? and if you put a temp sensor somewhere upstream of the I/C, would there be alot of difference? i dont there would be.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: What colour for intercooler? Thu, 06 November 2003 11:01 Go to previous message
as the driver of an unengineered 7mgte MA61 stealth is the most important factor as performance is of little use to a defected car. Very Happy
For the small amount of performance difference there may be you might as well make the decision based on cosmetics.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 diff oil
Next Topic:Circuit opening relay - question just to verify
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 16:59:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062499046325684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.