Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dnation
Regular

June 2002
Exhaust size Sat, 08 November 2003 15:05 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Do you reckon a good 2.5" mandrel exhaust is good enough for a 200Kw@rear wheel turbo car?

Send a private message to this user    
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Exhaust size Sat, 08 November 2003 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the engine. But if its going to be a smaller displacement I'd be going 2.75" or even 3"
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust size Sun, 09 November 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Generally the best exhaust for a turbo car is none at all, failing that, the biggest one you can stuff under the car.

Dont listen to anyone who uses the words 'need backpressure'.

However, for a smaller engine usually a properly muffled single 3inch system can be the best compromise between performance and noise
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust size Sun, 09 November 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best system for a turbo car or streetable power is a huge dump pipe (4", possibly 5 if the turbo is massive) - and shrink this toa 3" system just before your cat. 3" hi flow cat. then either keep the 3" after that, or go down to a 2.5". (the difference between 2.5" and 3" end section on a 250rwkw car I know of was 5 kw)

by the time the exhaust is thru the cat, it will have cooled enough not to require anywhere near the initial diameter.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Exhaust size Sun, 09 November 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wondering on the same topic, what size exhaust i should be looking at for my TA22, just running stock 1600 2T engine, planning on getting some extractors. just seen variations of 2" and 2 1/4" any help would be appreciated, thanks
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust size Sun, 09 November 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're running a stock 1.6L engine with about 110bhp - 2" will be plenty Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust size Sun, 09 November 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
110hp is a bit optimistic actually!

Stock exhaust size is likely more than enough. A decent set of extractors will help a bit, but beyond that, don't bother unless you're after a nicer exhaust note. Smile
rockinrolla
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: Exhaust size Mon, 10 November 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does a gze need backpressure???????

ino ive read the post above, just thought id ask.....

would the car go better with no cat????? or , hiflow, would be better then standard
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Exhaust size Mon, 10 November 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont you lose power in the low rev range from lack of exhaust back pressure?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust size Mon, 10 November 2003 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the comment re back pressure was only for turbo cars, which as stated work best with a piece of 4" tubing off the turbo out the side of the car Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Exhaust size Mon, 10 November 2003 16:51 Go to previous message
strober wrote on Tue, 11 November 2003 00:04

dont you lose power in the low rev range from lack of exhaust back pressure?

if you have a cam with large overlap, then back pressure will help stop the fresh charge from blowing out the exhaust// but it's a pretty poor way to go about it.. choosign a better cam to begin with might help..

i think this urban myth probably started with good ol V8 boys, who, after choosing race spec cams, found that they got more torque in the lower rev range with a smaller exhaust.. of course if they could rev past 5000, they'd probably have found where the motor came 'on cam'

problem of backpressure helping a long overlap cam, is that by the time it is on-cam, the exhuats wil be terribly restrictive...

chhose a cam correctly and you don't need backpressure (except for reducing noise)

Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE broken piston analysis part 1
Next Topic:How much boost on standard 7MGTE?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:59:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062880516052246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.