Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Surge tank loactions - pictures needed

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 10:32 Go to next message
I would like to see where people have mounted surge tanks on their sprinters.

Im planning on putting it between the tank and diff. I would like to see some pictures on how other people have gone about mounting them

Cheers
Andrew
  Send a private message to this user    
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mines in the engine bay
used the charcoal canister mount
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont suppose you would be able to post up a pic where you mounted it in your engine bay?

Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that legal?
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just placed a bracket on the driver-side rail and mounted it to that, under the intake plenum. i'm not sure of legal issues, but mounting it where the chardcoal canister is would be a bit dangerous in the event of an accident?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Callifo wrote on Sun, 09 November 2003 22:43

Is that legal?

More to the point, is that sane??
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Sun, 09 November 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would also like to note that I have a 4AGZE in my sprinter so under the bonnet is a little cramped and I dont think it would be suitable to hold the surge tank.

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have any pictures (Could get some in a while if you really need), but I crammed it all down the back.

The only spot I could find for my, admittedly tiny, surge tank was between tank and diff. It was short enough so that when mounted to the floor it didn't stick down past the seam around the middle of the tank. Just.

Bosch high pressure pump is next to it behind the diff also, and lift pump is outside the rear bumper and tow point mount on drivers rear corner. It was a nightmare of hoses and hose clamps getting it all to fit, but now I don't have to worry about it again.

Hen

It may be better to get another tank, cut it open and baffle it. Makes it all a lot simpler.
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i told u, where the charcoal canister is
its the same diameter and uses the same mount in the same location
difference is it has 4 hoses and isnt black...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it seems lots of people are mounting surge tanks in there engine bays! sounds very crazy to me!

anyone else think that

i have my surge tank in boot
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awww, i thought i was the only one to mount it in the engine bay Sad

Ah well, at least i aint the only one with a screw loose.
As long as its setup properly, even in an accident, it aint that dangerous.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2003 10:36]

shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd agree that it isn't safe, but i placed mine in the engine bay (under the intake plenum) so that i didn't have to change the fuel lines.
having a surge tank mounted where the charcoal canister is would be suicide.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why isnt it safe??
Its 100 percent legal here in WA.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*examines self* nah, not dead, cant be that bad
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Mon, 10 November 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you consider it unsafe to mount a surge tank in the engine bay? Is it any more of a risk than high pressure fuel lines to the rail? Fuel is fuel, whether in a surge tank or a float bowl in a carby..... if the fumes ignite, you are fu(ked regardless..... I'd rather have it in the engine bay than in the hatch. Very Happy Engineers see no problem with it, in fact, they seem to prefer it to being in the boot (unless completely enclosed)
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Tue, 11 November 2003 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it shouldn't matter where you put it.
if it's in the engine bay there is a shorter run from the surge tank to the injectors, which SOME people claim keeps the fuel cooler for more power.
can't see it making a worthwhile difference myself, but it's an arguement nonetheless - i'd say it would be offset by the fact that the tank is IN THE ENGINE BAY hence would be hotter.

and how can you not fit a surge tank in the engine bay? they don't have to be huge, just more vertical than circumferential to stop the fuel 'sloshing'.
i had a 500ml surge tank in the RX7 (that was weber fed though - less weight too) that was pretty thin but very tall and worked a treat.
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Thu, 20 November 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was just told by someone who had his car engineered that having a surge tank in the engine bay is illegal and would taken off the road immediately if found.
can anyone clarify that?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Thu, 20 November 2003 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you think about it, the charcoal canister would be more dangerous than the surge tank.
Remember that fuel alone will not ignite. However fuel fumes will which is exactly what is in the canister!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Surge tank loactions - pictures needed Thu, 20 November 2003 20:56 Go to previous message
I spoke to my engineer about this because I was thinking of putting my surge tank in my engine bay, he said he was okay with it as long as it was away from exhausts etc.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wiring of HKS Guages ??
Next Topic:Witch way to go?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 01:59:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096859931945801 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.