Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
idfamily
Occasional Poster

May 2002
ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Sat, 08 June 2002 02:42 Go to next message
coz wondering to replace strut from other toyota.
for a better brake for ae86........
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Sat, 08 June 2002 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try reading the articles section, it explains several options in there
idfamily
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Sat, 08 June 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so can i use the AE86 spring in RA60 strut?
and the KONI skocks?

coz i have sports spring and KONI in my orginal strut right now.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Sat, 08 June 2002 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA60 struts are quite easy to adapt to an ae86, you just have to get the lower arm from the ra60 as well. It is the correct length and everything lines up. Your koni insert will fit straight in, the only change that has to be made is the spring cup - no way an ra60 spring will fit in an ae86 tower. You can either do this yourself or get someone who is handy with a grinder an welder to do it for you - try an exhaust shop. Also don't make the same mistake I did and get 2 different length steering arms when you get your ra60 stuff! Rolling
idfamily
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Sat, 08 June 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only change that has to be made is the spring cup - no way an ra60 spring will fit in an ae86 tower?
what is that mean?

I just want to how know how can my AE86 sports spring fit into a CELICA strut...

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Sat, 08 June 2002 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said, to fit the ra60 strut into an ae86 is easy, but you have to swap the spring cup. This has to be cut off of the ae86 strut (carefully!), the ra60 spring cup cut off and thrown away, and then the ae86 one carefully welded onto the ra60 strut at the right height (which is the same place as where the ra60 one came off of). I did this on my own car, and it only took me a couple of hours and worked well. Cool Razz
Mos
Occasional Poster

Toymods IT Secretary

June 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 June 2002 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure the sprinter spring will not fit in the RA60 lower spring perch? Smile
Mos.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Tue, 11 June 2002 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im positive it will Nod
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Wed, 12 June 2002 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if it'll fit in or not... never actually tried it, i swapped mine so I'd be sure that it wouldn't rattle around or anything, that it'd sit like it oughtta.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been doing abit of research in regards to this topic and i have a few questions

Can a celica RA60 disc and caliper bolt straight onto the ae86 strut or will i need to use the RA60 strut as well.
Will this change anything on the car for eg.offset?

Thanks dudes..
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would ppl go to the effort of changine the strut if the other brakes would just bolt on?
and in regards to brake upgrades there are a few options, cheapest and probably best value is celica upgrade, not as cheap but prob better is hilux/pug upgrade and one of the better but more expensive is rx7 upgrade. all depends on how much your willing to spend.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i wasnt sure thats why im asking...Geez..
Thanks
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasnt having a go... settle pettle Razz
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is thats the case..no problemo dude!
DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The sprinter spring will fit in ra60 spring perch but the perimeter needs to be cut to the same diameter as ae86. I think the car will sit a little lower. The reason you would go for this conversion is that it is far cheaper than your hilux pug upgrade. you can do this upgrade for $200 as you can pick up apair of ra60 struts with control arms for $100. This will give you enough braking power, bigger stub axles, you dont have to change master cylinder and a LOT LESS labour intensive. Not sure about affect on camber.
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im running RA60 struts/lower arms etc and using AE86 spring cups...

When working on the struts it looked like the sprinter springs would sit pretty well in the RA60 struts but.... You might want to have a read of VSI 8 on the vic roads web site. It specifically states that grinding of suspension and braking components is illegal/unroadworthy... And it would most likely weaken the cups too...

Oh and camber on my car has not really changed at all... Well its not the 2-3 deg that some people say RA60 struts/arms will give. Its actually about 0.30 deg each side Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2003 11:14]

sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you use the ra60 strut n arms what benifits r u getting out of this?

what rotors and calipers can you use?

DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant see how welding the spring cups from ae86 on makes it any more legal. I used a jigsaw to cut around mine so no heat was applied. Still not saying this is legal of course. Ra60 have bigger ventilated discs and bigger calipers than ae86.
sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Mon, 10 November 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would 13" rims still fit on them?

would it stop a 4agte setup?
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Tue, 11 November 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMO: Well like I said, have a read of VSI 8 on the vic roads site... Welding is legal as long as its done properly and has been x-rayed to prove just that Wink

There are several benifits of using RA60 struts and Lower Arms.
1. Bigger Stub Axles
2. Bigger Discs and Calipers
3. Shorter Steering Arms on Power Steering Nuckle Arms (Less turns to lock)
4. You can also use MA61 hubs to get roughly 9mm extra track each side thus allowing you to use +38mm offset rims.

And no 13" wheels wont fit over RA60 brakes, I think min is 14" ?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ANY strut can fit AE86 perfectly? Tue, 11 November 2003 01:56 Go to previous message
I thought that RA60 / RA65 hubs and MA61 hubs were the same?
(The extra offset in the MA61 coming from the wider wheels originally?)

Cheers
Wilbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Does anyone know a good place to get metal head gaskets from in Australia?
Next Topic:Worst fear realised
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 10:15:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065040588378906 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.