Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 04:57 Go to next message
Hello all,
I've just put another 18R-C into my celica as it was in better condition than my current one. Got it in in half a day which was really good and it ran well.
When I reved the car the oil light would get brighter and the fade again, when changing gear it would do the same both up and down changes. The oil was over the full line a fraction. When the car warmed up it did it less. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this?
Also, I've gone from a pre polution engine (77) to a polution control engine (80) I've taken my pre polution carby and put that on the new engine. There was a hole on the side of the engine just above the manifold where it looks like a exhaust hose when back into the polution carby. We've plugged it and was wondering if this would make any difference to the way the engine ran.
I'm curious to know this info as I was driving it home yesterday and I've either blown the head gasket or cracked the head. The engine has been re-coed, but I'm not sure how long ago and it hasn't been sitting around for too long not running.
Is there any differences in the heads from the pre polution to the polution that makes the pre polution carby non compatiable? If anyone can shed any light on this that would be great.
Thanks in advance Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like your new engine came out of a car with an oil pressure gauge, as opposed to a warning light. You've hooked up the sensor for the gauge to a light, which explains the unusual behaviour.

To fix, either replace your warning light with a gauge from a 1980 Celica, or replace the sensor on your new engine with the sensor from your old engine.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep 1980, RA40's have pressure guage while earlier models only had a light.

EDIT: tho it might be a good excuse to put a GT dash into the car Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2003 05:52]

ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't really see the inside of the car it came out of.

Hmmm, any one have a ST/GT guage or do you know of any one that I could buy one off.

Thanks
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey ra23celicachick, it would prob be better in your case to get the oil sensor out of you old motor and replace it in the new motor instead of fooling around with guages etc Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2003 07:57]

ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that's what we'll be doing at this stage. I've already spend $150 on the engine in 2 days and the thing isn't even going. I can't wait til my RA23 with the 18R-G is on the road!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't toss that oil pressure sender - they're expensive little buggers and they're usually broken on engines found in wrecking yards...

charles.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Mon, 10 November 2003 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't chuck any car parts out. I've got that many parts laying around you never know what you will use again. The boot of the parts car is filled with the broken/stuffed celica parts.

It ended up being a cracked head I guess because the head gasket was cracked and at the time my b/f saw bubbles coming out the side of the head but didn't want to piss me off any more than I already was with the car.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Few 18R-C Questions Tue, 11 November 2003 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're only doing short (non-peak-hour) drives, then just run with radiator cap loose (but not off) to stop cooling system pressuring up - and poluting the oil.

you'ld have to watch the temp gauge - as once you're near normal temps, you'll boil off your coolant quickly - but short, quiet drives would be acceptable for a while?

or is the head off already? ;(

Byatch
Regular

October 2003
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Tue, 11 November 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slight deviation: if ppl have problems getting their car up to temp around town, i know i did, try using a land cruiser thermostat.

works for me, cause there is sfa water flow till the car is at 1/2 temp, and once there, i have to work damn hard to make it move.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Tue, 11 November 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I live up the top of a really long steep hill so it's not easy driving, it's usually flat knacker up the hill and around all the corners, and same with down. Average speed would be about 80 - 100 km.

I've got the head off already and the old pre-polution one back on. We only really did the engine swap cause I was filling up with oil more than I was with petrol. So I've got the re-coed block in there still.

I've been lucky, I've never had a problem with the temp before. It's the same from 10 degrees to 40 degrees. I often wondered if it really worked but the 2 heads that I've cracked have proved that it works.
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Few 18R-C Questions Fri, 14 November 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In reguards to:
Quote:

yep 1980, RA40's have pressure guage while earlier models only had a light.

I have had 2 MK2 ra40s...bot square headlights, but they were both late 1979 models, the very first of the MK2. Nieither of them had the oil pressure gauge, but they have the light. There was also a huge difference beteen the october 79, and november 79 vehichles...the electrical harnesses were all different and topsey turvey, and the emmission systems on both were completely different..1 had the emission pump and 1 had the carbon canister...really had me baffled... and i found that the front fenders off the november model did not fit on the octtober one..they were to long...fukd if i know...but yeh...really strange eh?
l8az
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Fri, 14 November 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I've got a Dec 1980 and it runs a oil light not a guage, but I sourced a guage out of a sept model which... go figure??
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Fri, 14 November 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

my old november '77 ra40 (round headlights) had an oil pressure gauge, and ammeter.

my 2c worth
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Fri, 14 November 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA40Celica wrote on Fri, 14 November 2003 15:14

my old november '77 ra40 (round headlights) had an oil pressure gauge, and ammeter.

my 2c worth

also my 80 model in the avatar has oil gauge and voltmeter
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Few 18R-C Questions Sun, 16 November 2003 21:10 Go to previous message
I don't know what month mine came out of but we've put the old sender in there out of the RA23 and the problems gone. All I need to do is figure out why my crank case pressure is extremly hign
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3s 5s transmissions
Next Topic:RA40 Struts Vrs AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 09:39:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068750381469727 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.