Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sat, 08 November 2003 04:07 Go to next message
Hey my sis's bf recons he bought a camry with a celica motor in it and i've only ever seen 1 celica motor and thats mine and it looks nothing like it . his car goes ok but almost any car go go hard if u drive it hard so can any1 tell me if i'm having my leg tugged or if he is ??
thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sat, 08 November 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The camry has a celica motor doesnt it? a 5sfe or something!
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sat, 08 November 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What year camry is it? It might just be a 3SGE? or 3SGTE but seems you didn't mention turbo I doubt it...
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sat, 08 November 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What year camry is it? It might just be a 3SGE? or 3SGTE but seems you didn't mention turbo I doubt it...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sat, 08 November 2003 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry's were released with the 3S-FE and later 5S-FE in this country. Never the 3S-GE, and certainly not the 3S-GTE! Both of those can be swapped in relatively easily though.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Likewise, many celica's copped the 3/5sfe - remember, a celica is just a 2 door camry really speaking anyway! Very Happy
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"f" for econony wasnt it? Rolling Eyes Totally different camshaft performance between f and g!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sge is a good swap for the early FWD camrys ..

And id love to see a camry handle as well as my gt4 celica Shin Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3S-FE doesn't have a belt driving both cams, it just has one cam driven by a belt, and the other one is driven off of the first cam.
It allowed them to narrow the design of the cylinder head which had various consequences...it's a good design, but they neutered the first few FE engines.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh dad calls his camry a celica wagon lol!!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's early ish like it's the same as the guy who took pics of his doing burnouts the blue 1 his parents gave him i dunno if u have seen it on there . I've driven this camry and there is noway in hell it has turbo it's a 400m in under 30mins car
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read the engine id number and find out what engine it is. I think the 3sfe was in one of the st162 variations (ST mayby) so he might be just saying that it is the same as the celica engine. On the other hand it may have had a 3SGE conversion, what celica eninge do you have that you are compairing it to?
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Sun, 09 November 2003 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea its an SV21 by the sounds, 1989-1992 model, the boxy one before they kinda went widebody style, packed with a heart stoppingly (efficient) 3S-FE, 100 max hp.
like me!
not many cars beat 10km/L unless they're a korean econobox
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any Camry with a 2S, 3S or 5S (usually - FE) can have fitted a 'Celica' motor to it. The first wide body Camry 92-97 shared the 5S-FE engine with the ST182 and ST205 Celica. Sounds like the 'salesman' she bought the car from told her it has a Celica engine.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So people can get it right on celica motors

st205s had the 3sgte TURBO motor

the st204's had the 5sfe's

and its st184 that had the 5sfe too not st182 ( that didnt exist i think ! )

st185's also had the 3S-GTE motors , as did the st165's

the "5" in the model number means its a Gt4 ..

the st162 had a 3s-GE - not 3s-fe !

Please - learn and correct !

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My apologies, typed faster than I was thinking.
Better that I should have said 'ST184' and 'ST202'.
I understand that the first two years with the ST18x
series they were the ST182 model, which changed to ST184 when
they had that mid-model freshen up.
Anyway......
On the subject of 'learn and correct', remember that the
ST162 SX models had the 3S-GE, while the ST162 ST models,
had the 3S-FE (Camry) motor.
Does not make it better when two mistakes occur in a row.
Have I learned and corrected now ?
Mitch.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies - i get fired up when people refer to the gt4's wrongly .. they are totally different in drivetrain strength and quality to the lower models

i do stand corrected myself .. Embarassed

id completely forgot about the St one - its a dark path compared to the beautiful 3sge st162's

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a problem and agreed on all counts. I was actually thinking about my favourite Celica's being the GT4's and that is where the ST205 came into my typing.

I much prefer the ST162 with 3S-GE engine as well (obviously!).

Good sleeper project would be a ST Celica Coupe (not liftback)
(converted to RWD only - just for show off value) with a 3S-GTE.
Receipe to create huge mayhem when people see the 'ST' badge on the rear of the lesser attractive Coupe and then you dump the clutch and smoke up the rear wheels only.

Cheers,
Mitch.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

a celica is just a 2 door camry really speaking anyway!

Them's fightin' words! Very Happy Not that I don't have the utmost respect for a camry! My dad's V6 SV21 was one of his favorite cars.
Phrozen_Death
Regular

October 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Mon, 10 November 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 09 November 2003 13:40

"f" for econony wasnt it? Rolling Eyes Totally different camshaft performance between f and g!

your pretty much right but i would have said "F" is for Fu#ked and "G" is for Good Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Tue, 11 November 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm comparing it to the 2s-c or 2c-s i forget it's a 2 litre straight 4 single cam in the 83-84 sa63 celica's the last of the rear wheel drives i think it is i'll wait till he cums up and i'll sneak a look under the bonnet. To get the engine code i no it's not a wide body camry but other than that i've got no idea
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Tue, 11 November 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a 2SC in the SA63 Celica's, the last of the RWD's. And except for maybe starter motor position/bellhousing issues, you can bolt a 3S-GE engine into one of those, and get a few more bhp without too much effort.
In fact - Toyota fitted the 3S-GE to the SA63 from August 84 to August 85, but that car was only ever JDM.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Tue, 11 November 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

a celica is just a 2 door camry really speaking anyway!

Does this then mean a Quad Cam V6 from a wide body Vienta or even the later models can slip into an ST184 or ST204? That would be interesting. Weren't TRD bolt on Superchargers are available for that motor?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Tue, 11 November 2003 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Tue, 11 November 2003 14:13

And except for maybe starter motor position/bellhousing issues, you can bolt a 3S-GE engine into one of those

Dont forget the sump, clutch, engine mounts, water pipes, intercooler pipes and much much more Rolling Eyes
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Wed, 12 November 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anybody think it would be worth putting a 3S-GE in my SA63 cuz the motor in it is due for a rebuild and i was hoping to swap in something with more power if not something with a turbo or something i can put a turbo on .
Thanks
mookie
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it possible to put any celica motors into a camry Wed, 12 November 2003 02:35 Go to previous message
You could probably do okay to swap a 1GGE into your car and later on if you wanted a turbo it'd be a fairly simple exercise to swap a 1GGTE in its place. They aren't probably any more expensive (maybe cheaper to buy) and are RWD to begin with.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agte exhaust size
Next Topic:st205 gearbox differences
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:28:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068831443786621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.