Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Short Shift Kit for 86 celica

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Mon, 20 May 2002 12:51 Go to next message
Currently, the gearstick in my car sits pretty high up... and it feels really 'loose', and the throw is pretty long i.e. from 1st to second etc.

1) How do I go about getting a short shit kit for the celica

2) How do I get rid of the 'loose' feel of the gearstick.

3) How to get the gearstick to sit lower... (dont tell me I just have to chop it)

[Updated on: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:52]

Send a private message to this user    
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Mon, 20 May 2002 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like the bushes are worn if theres freeplay, if u r looking for a short shift kit, tell me what year and model celica u have, i can look it up at work and how much
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Mon, 20 May 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

SChwEet ! Rolling

Can i fix the freeballing ?its pretty annoying! bushes ey.. how do i go abou getting them ?

Short Shift Kit - it is a 1986 RA65 celica.. transmission from a manual... soarer or supra ? i got it from SSS Automotive.

Thanks !
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Tue, 21 May 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les - Have you had a look at Bigworm's page? I think from memory he's got some info on custom-making a short-shifter.. Rolling
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Tue, 21 May 2002 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ok lemme hava look at it....... but im not gonna make one ! cant i just buy one... i dont think i can (technically) make a short shift nor do I have the time to do it !!
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Tue, 21 May 2002 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah - that's fair enough i guess.. i'm one of the people who'd usually buy something if it looks too hard/time consuming to do myself so i know where you're coming from.

But it still gives you a bit of an idea of what's involved.. Smile
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Tue, 21 May 2002 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked out the shifter itself?? The sloppy-ness could be caused by the plate that holds the ball of the shifter into the box being worn. also, take the shifter out and check it has a little white cap on the end. it is only cheap but makes a world of difference. My bet is you're missing the cap.

About the length of the shift, I just cut the middle out of the shifter, it was fuckin long to start with and seeings that shifters are only 30 bucks I thought I'd give it a try. It is so much better now. I suggest checking if it has a white cap and then cut about 4 inches out of the shifter. If you stuff it go to a wrecker and but a shifter off a 4SP Corona. They are cheap and they fit.

Tim.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Short Shift Kit for 86 celica Tue, 21 May 2002 16:40 Go to previous message
I need one of those caps for my T50's shifter, it's never had it, so I wonder how much better it would be with one.....

I got a shifter off some old toyota (cant remember what) that had a 4 speed a while back, and although the plate that bolts down around the shifter was exactly the same, the shifter itself had a smaller/thinner lower arm, the bit bellow the pivot point (the bit you lengthen to make a quickshifter). Also the ball on the end of this arm, that has the little white cup on it, was smaller, and the little cup didn't fit the ball on my shifter.

Not that it would aply to an 86 celica box (W55?), but a little bit interesting. Yawn Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Turbo Timer
Next Topic:JZZ30 LSD 4.083 AXLE CODE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:05:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051119327545166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.