Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What creates drone?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
icon5.gif  What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 06:48 Go to next message
In an exhaust system, what is the factor that creates drone?

is it the:

- Excessive pipe diameter
- Style of muffler
- Style of resonator
- Press/mandrel bent
- Number of bends in the pipe

Curious.
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

in my opinion the size of the pipe and muffler / resonator combo (eg big fukker muffler strait threw)

I've got a 2 1/2 strait threw that was single muffler it was loud as fuk but it had drone when id just cruize at like 80
i got a sticker for it and have since put a hot dog at the back and it's lost the bark up top (as well as the drone)

it still sounds sweet

it only cost me $20 to Very Happy
Dont you love having a brother who works at a Performance exaust shop Evil or Very Mad
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not being an expert, but I'd say it was a lack of a resonator. My car had a shit 2" "performance" exhaust when I bought it and it was droning and loud as anything (7M NA). I had the 1jz with the same exhaust for a couple of weeks and it was worse - the exhaust was just a muffler and no resonator. Then I got a 2.5" with muffler and resonator - no drone, runs as quiet as. Went heaps better too.....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Resonance is the cause of the dreaded drone Confused It has nothing to do with the size of the system! In fact you will get drone on any size or type of exhaust system at a certain rev point depending on the resonator! Its just that most resonators are designed to put the resonate frequency at a point in the rev range that wont cause any droning problems!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prefer this to be based on sound theory rather than this and that, as there are too many independant variables to consider in such comparisons.

I am just wondering how to maximise exhaust diameter/flow and minimise drone.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not just as easy as peiceing some bits togeather! You need to speak to someone that can figure out the calulations needed to design a resonator! They will need you to supply details such as exhaust diameter, exhaust box type and details on your engine.
So you are just best off going to a decent exhaust shop and getting them to design the system for you!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, drone is litereally resonance. you can do a bit of estimating by using the length of the pipe vs rpm and number of exhaust pulses etc...

one way to minimise drone is to break up long lengths of pipe into uneven, shorter lengths. this means the drone will occur at higher rpm, where you will notice less..

i did this with my exhaust, using 2 resonators.. pipe is 2" which is a little big for a 4K, but drone/resonance starts above 5500rpm, which is where the extractors are designed to resonate...

a few thoughts..
Cya, Stewart
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My current system is awesome, it drones just before it screams, but alas the scream is the restriction and i know the exhaust is imposing a bit of a restriction.

P.S 2.25in press bent
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any exhaust boxes or resonators?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh its restrictive like i said

press bends

resonater

and a dogleg muffler
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you waiting for someone to say "dump the system and get another that isnt press bent?
Resonators are not really restrictive and you need it to keep the noise level down anyway! So you are only left with the pipe and the muffler!
When you say "dog leg" muffler do you mean straight through?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah someone will say mandrel, i know that
_
dog leg: the entry pipe is offset to the exit pipe _/

The resonator is straight through and isnt a restriction, however it is 2.25in

Thes question is do i dump it for a bigger system all up

Im running a 3inch hi flow cat as well.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the system is too much of a restriction, dump it and get a complete new system! You might be able to keep your cat even! Is your zorst box a 3 inch? If so you might be able to keep that as well!

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2003 09:04]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i like! this button!! !!!!! do you!!!!

Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like it when I am making an explanation! Twisted Evil Maybe you should learn some english skills Rolling Eyes
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral: WTF!?

Well the reason i dont want to dump it, is excessive drone created by a larger system.

Ie. trying to target the culprit of drone before proceeding.

Its currently 2.25 muffler everything bar the hi flow cat and is very quiet and almost no drone.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a larger system doesnt mean its going to drone. Go and have a chat with a decent exhaust shop and tell them what you want. Make sure you tell them about yoru concerns when it comes to the droning and i'm sure they will be able to help you out!!!!
1jdavo
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon its a combination of rich mixture and well a bigger exhaust on the right application makes more power.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know that much about exhausts (apart from knowing that they're restrictive). Smile

Do all systems have resonators? 'Coz for all I know, I've got a cat and a straight through muffler... Although I get drone around 3,000rpm when the muffler is off...

BlackSupra, get rid of that exhaust!!!!!!! 2.25" press bent?!? URGH!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What creates drone? Tue, 11 November 2003 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yes i know its rescritive nark, however its SUPER QUIET and doesnt DRONE!! Which i want in a system, so im not going to dump it for a 2.5 mandrel to find it drones.

My previous 2.5 mandrel system droned something vicious!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: What creates drone? Wed, 12 November 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I passed the emissions noise test with my exhaust system.

That was with a different muffler though, this new one is a straight through so it's louder, but it's not what you'd call loud and it's not droney in any way.

Do it, your car will love you for it.
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: What creates drone? Wed, 12 November 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont no much either but i no when i put a 2' sports exhuast on my 7afe and thats all just the rear muffler it had the low down rev thing and then soon as i hit high rpm it all went away since i put my 20 v in its changed before if i wanted the nosie to go away i would hold it at a steady speed and it would go bye bye now the noise is always there but not overly loud unless ur in the back seat i think but still not excessivly loud. and now i have this nice high note high in the rev range which sounds good but i dont mind it but some of my friends reckon it gets to them but mehh is this cause of the resnator thing does it cause it to drone now but thing i dont understand is why didnt it do it b4 unless this is cause of the exctractors ??? any thoughts on this.
matt
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What creates drone? Thu, 13 November 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude...punctuation
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What creates drone? Thu, 13 November 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
number of "bends" will also play a factor...when the exhaust gas is being farted out it wants out asap...when it hits bends in the pipes it not only vibrates the exhaust itself but the gases are being knocked around from side to side changing the exhaust note

mandrel should be much quieter than press bend
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: What creates drone? Thu, 13 November 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mMehh had to type it before i forgot. So i was rushing.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: What creates drone? Sat, 15 November 2003 15:20 Go to previous message
Matt20v wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 20:02

i dont no much either but i no when i put a 2' sports exhuast on my 7afe and thats all just the rear muffler it had the low down rev thing and then soon as i hit high rpm it all went away since i put my 20 v in its changed before if i wanted the nosie to go away i would hold it at a steady speed and it would go bye bye now the noise is always there but not overly loud unless ur in the back seat i think but still not excessivly loud. and now i have this nice high note high in the rev range which sounds good but i dont mind it but some of my friends reckon it gets to them but mehh is this cause of the resnator thing does it cause it to drone now but thing i dont understand is why didnt it do it b4 unless this is cause of the exctractors ??? any thoughts on this.
matt

my 7afe w/ 2" press bent and 2 big resonators is a little droney until about 3500+rpm, at 4000rpm it goes REALLY quiet, like it's idling Smile And over 4000rpm it doesn't drone. Unfortunately, at 110km/h on the m5 in 5th gear it's doing about 3400rpm. Freak

edit: 2" cat back (std cat)

[Updated on: Sat, 15 November 2003 15:22]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sydney AE86 Owners > Can I borrow your doors for rego?
Next Topic:3SGTE Vs 1GGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:54:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058801174163818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.