Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zorrt
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 05:53 Go to next message
Hi,

I would like to know what is the run in period for new speakers before being able to pump them up without having possible distortion problems in the future? If possible can you point me to a site so I can read more on the subject? Thanks. Btw its the kenwood 7*10 hq speakers.

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant wait for some replys to this Rolling Eyes
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you power them from a 3.5W amp module, preferably the cheapest you can find (suggest Jaycar AA-0223), and be sure that the outputs are supplying as much DC as possible. This will really loosen up the voice coil and give some "spring" to the drivers' suspension. Failing this a 12Vdc supply will suffice.

Next step is to run them of any Sony "XPLOD" head unit at full ball for 3 days straight.

Now you are allowed to connect them up to your shiny chrome "Boss 1000000W amplifier".
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Give him a break guys, he is asking a serious question, not something like if i put mugen stickers on my rexie, will it gain the claimed 20hp at the wheels? Rolling Eyes

Dude i dont know how long, with my splits i drove around for a day with them on low-med volume and havnt had a prob since. Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is my reason for the response:

Most REAL speaker manufacturers do a test run on ALL of their speakers before allowing them to be placed on the shelf for sale. For instance Rockford Fosgate runs every single one of their woofers, coaxials, amps etc for a full 24 hours continuous at near peak tolerance to sample performance and perform quality control.

The point of this is, the idea of running in speakers is like running in your suspension.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do jaycar run their subs in?

cos ive got 2 of the double magnet 12" in my car and i ran them in before installing them

hey mate if u wanna stick on the safe side just use medium volumes for the first week or so of driving around then after that you should be fine.
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so ur telling me that EVERY single product produced gets tested? I doubt that EVERy one does, sure 1 out of every 50 or so maybe, but every1?

Then again, i know sfa about producing car ausio equipment lol so your prob right Razz
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Want are you running them off a deck or amp?
It depends on how many watts you are putting through them and if the speakers they in a box or on a parcel shelf.
Deno
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I work for the Focal dealer here in NZ. All Focal speakers are tested from factory but still require up to 50 hours of 'run in'. However run in is not a period of low volume. It just means that they will sound better and better with time. Simple rule. If you hear destortion, turn it down! As the speaker beds in more, it will handle more power/ play louder.

The Kenwoods will NOT need this much time but the same idea applies.
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with DENO... especially the bit about distortion and turning it down...

i've seen to many good speakers blown this way... idiots Razz

ahh well, its not my money Razz

my 2c
dave
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i KNOW rockford test every single one that goes out for sale.

And i am aware that the Jaycar branded speakers are also tested/stressed as part of the manufacturing process.... and then a percentage is bench tested like Rockford Fosgate does to further quality control procedures.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electrical componentry doesn't really need to be warn in i'd say just from observation. It's all tested because it's easy... not like you can wear in you computer parts when you upgrade.. u just slap em in and go to work. but I could be wrong Smile
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Sun, 16 November 2003 18:58

electrical componentry doesn't really need to be warn in i'd say just from observation. It's all tested because it's easy... not like you can wear in you computer parts when you upgrade.. u just slap em in and go to work. but I could be wrong Smile

its the moving components such as the voice coil and rubber ect that needs a bit of time to loosen up
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Sun, 16 November 2003 17:58

I agree Smile
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would rubber need to be worn in? it only deteriates if it doesn't move Smile
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was an article about 5-6 years ago in Car Audio and Electronics re this. If my life was better organised I'd be able to lay my hands on this. However, after testing run-in and non run-in there was apparently no discerable difference, either by ear or when run with an RTA. I have never run-in any type of speaker and haven't had any problems with premature distortion or failure af any kind.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
run-in for the witzl = pound it loud whilst tuning... drive to mates house and show off.
zorrt
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, but yea so what if every product gets QC checked before going out the door, this basically means nothing except for the fact that the manufacturer plugged it in to check if everything sounds right and thats it. And besides my question was regarding the run in period not QC check.

The main purpose of my post is because my friend told me about running in new speakers because if this is done, the speaker that has been run in will have less distortion than a speaker that wasnt run in. Whether this is noticeable or not it still gives peace of mind.

Well I think I can assume that about a week of driving should be enough time for teh speakers to loosen up aye? This would be roughly 20 hours.

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Sun, 16 November 2003 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine are cooling down... i played then hard all day today... ehhehe

just playing dood... just pump it if u feel the need man... dont worry about warming them up.. its not like stretching before doing weights ...

i cane my speakers and subs... no wollies mate !
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thug_immortal wrote on Sun, 16 November 2003 17:41

so ur telling me that EVERY single product produced gets tested? I doubt that EVERy one does, sure 1 out of every 50 or so maybe, but every1?

Then again, i know sfa about producing car ausio equipment lol so your prob right Razz

My old Alpine AMP and Sub were tested by Alpine themselves and a hand written report with each item.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my new alpine amp was bench tested, but the sub needed to be warmed up... after a couple of weeks of mid/low volume she was right as rain...

when it was brand new i blasted the shit outta it for like 10 minutes and it distorted like a mofo.. now i can run my sub EXTREMELY loud if i wanted to and it never distorts..

mlaser
Regular

March 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love the alpine sheet, from memory my big alpine mrv1503/5 or something was rated at 225w x 2 (rms) and on the sheet it was rated at nealr 300watts. Gotta love a company that on average has higher output than displayed.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got the MRD500 mono channel..
its pretty beasty... the bench test sheet says 661.3 rms or something.. its been a while since i looked at it.. alls i know is it gets BLOODY loud... and sometimes i think my car is about to fall apart lol Very Happy
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 16 November 2003 22:05

run-in for the witzl = pound it.

Now your making sense Karl.......... Laughing
Andy_H
Regular

October 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FUCK RUNNING IT IN!!! WHY DO YOU THINK COMPANIES GIVE OUT WARRANTIES???
if you blow it up, take it back and exchange. ive done it many times.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I gave my misses a good running in too.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Wed, 19 November 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because i value wat i buy, and i dont have the luxury of having the time to pull everything apart to get a refund if it breaks...

i can see you'll go far when it comes to a rebuild on ur motor.
Confused
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Thu, 20 November 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be careful if you plan on running DC through your speakers... many speaker suppliers will pull the voice coil to check for burns before replacing any speaker under warranty. Burnt VC = customer abuse...
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Fri, 21 November 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Wed, 19 November 2003 23:48

I gave my misses a good running in too.

Whats the warranty like on you missus, two years or until married (whichever comes first) Laughing
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Fri, 21 November 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh trade her in now on a current model! Very Happy J/k
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Run in period for speakers Fri, 21 November 2003 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm I was gunna make a joke about her havin some k's on her when I got her.. but i wont... she's like a 18r-c.. just keeps going...
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Run in period for speakers Fri, 21 November 2003 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, don't run them in..no need. they are made to be pounded from day one. Oh and lucky bastard with the MRDM500, my birth certificate said only 570wrms, still 70wrms over but not like your 660rms. Thats a big bonus !
Cheers, jacob....

your speakers will be fine, just don't leave them on full and start the car, this can be bad for them, not moving to full excursion. Specially in heated and cold evnironments. Just treat them with respect, but you don't need a run in period.
CrusinSX
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: Run in period for speakers Sat, 22 November 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all speakers need to be ran in...
After reading about rockford fosgate testing their products, i totaly disagree there...
iv had 2 15" Rockford fosgate subwoofers and on the box's that the subs came in said "Run in period of 12hrs at half volume"
Every sub needs to be ran in because you have no idea how long the sub has been sitting in storage..
At the moment im driving a JBL 15" GT3 series sub and was reckomended to run that in aswell...
its just safe to do it.. better safe than sorry...
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Run in period for speakers Sat, 22 November 2003 13:28 Go to previous message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Fri, 21 November 2003 20:15

nah, don't run them in..no need. they are made to be pounded from day one. Oh and lucky bastard with the MRDM500, my birth certificate said only 570wrms, still 70wrms over but not like your 660rms. Thats a big bonus !
Cheers, jacob....

yeah she runs pretty hard, when i push it, she goes harder than my mates 2 12's,
im really impressed with it, and im going to use alpine for everything in my car from now on Very Happy

cheers chris
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engineers Cert. For ta22 v8
Next Topic:Watch out for this noob!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 09:11:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078239440917969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.