Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 05:31 Go to next message
Hello,

By now most of you would have seen how messy and mixed up my water pump/hydraulic pump/power steering is at the moment.

After recently getting my car back and having the top tank of the radiator replaced and the engine flushed from all the rust and build up, it is running alot cooler than before.

However, now the bearing noise from the water pump is getting extremely loud and I don't know what the consequences of this will be except for obviously the water pump seizing or failing and the engine overheating (I'm assuming it's coming from the water pump, and I've been told by a mechanic listening to it that it's bearing noise).

I was looking at getting a 1JZ clutch type water pump, that doesn't have all the hydraulic fan parts on it. This retails for about $180, then I'd have to find a pulley somewhere.

The question is, I have no experience in removing or replacing anything like a water pump or anything else that will have to come off it, like timing belts and serpentine belts and cranks. Has anyone got an instruction page on how to do this, or should I buy the pump and get the cheapest quote to get a mechanic to install it?

Thanks in advance,

Danish.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/soarer/enginebay/DCP_2171indicated2.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2003 05:38]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replacing the water pump isn't difficult, it's just time-consuming as there's lots of stuff you have to remove and replace and a lot of the bolts are hard to get at (well they are on a 2JZ anyway). I found some useful information on www.mkiv.com from memory; it was scanned from a US-spec JZA80 TSRM I think, but the 1JZ should be fairly similar. I recommend trying this job yourself, because labour costs are likely to be fairly high at any mechanic!
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first word of advice before you start anything is to make sure you have some spare dosh aside in case you have to pay someone to finish it for you.
second word of advice is remove the radiator before starting ANYTHING. it will save the radiator and your sanity should something not come out/go in according to plan.

if you are going to be removing the belts on the outside, you won't need to know much except how to undo the alternator to slacken it. only timing belts (on the inside of that plastic cover on the front of the engine) need marking before removal. wehn you retighten the belt, use a BFO screwdriver or spanner to pull the alternator across and tighten the belt, as 'tight isn't always tight' so to speak.

unfortunately the only way to diagnose the noise is to take off the water pump and physically give it a look over. a friend of mine had the same prob, and it ended up being a large chunk of scale from his old radiator getting wedged in the pump impellers and doing some scoring damage to his housing. nothing serious, but a time consuming problem nonetheless.

you could always mount up an in-line elec water pump. they don't use any crankshaft power to run them, are very efficient but the downside is you'll need to mix and match belts and wire it up (that's the fun bit for me though)...unless you just took (ground?) the impellers off the shaft and use the existing water pump pulley and use the existing belt.

just a thought anyways if you do get stuck.

good luck Cool
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed: Have you ever removed anything off the front of a 1JZ before? What you described is nothing like my 1JZ or Danish's, I don't know if there are different versions? The alternator has no adjustment it is held in with two bolts, niether adjustable, belt tension is controlled by a tensioner. The powersteer, and aircon are not adjustable too.

Danish what you need to do is remove the radiator, then undo the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley. The puller will pop off and the belt tensioner which can be seen in the bottom right hand corner will rotate and slacken the entire belt assembly. Remove your pump and replace it. You then need to put your water pump pulley back on, and put your belt around most of the acsesories, you will find it wont go around the water pump or alternator as the tensioner has moved as it is spring loaded. You will then have to grip the tensioner with a vice grip, prefereably the clamp type, and rotate it against it's will (as it is spring loaded) far enough that you can get the belt over the water pump and alternator. Then put your radiator back in.

If that sounds difficult it is not, the hardest part will be rotating the tensioner back into position, which will be alot easier with the help of a friend.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will I need to take the timing belt off? Your version Skip sounds a lot easier! I guess the hardest part is taking the radiator out and having to drain and refil it/put it back in again.

I'm just concerned about the pulley from the water pump now. I don't think the pulley will come off my current hydro pump and go onto the new non hyrdro normal 1JZ water pump. I think the new pump is different in that regard. Also, once the bolts are off does it just slide out? I've also heard that i may need new o-rings or something?

Thanks guys.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The water pump has a front and rear section. You can replace the front section without having to remove the timing belt, but if your 1JZ is anything like my 2JZ, the rear section will need to be replaced as well - and that means the timing belt has to come off. Once again it's not hard to do, but it's a PITA and takes ages if you've never done it before. It's all a good learning experience though!

Now that you mention it, I did have to replace a couple of o-rings when I swapped my water pump. I just took the old o-rings to a bearing supplier and they found me a match... they cost 20c or something pissweak like that. Smile
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie,

If I just wanted to get rid of the hydro-fan, and the bearing noise problem, yet the pump still flowed fine, then would it work if i just replaced the front section? My Autometer gauge shows it runs from 80-100C at the moment

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said, you have to replace the rear section because it's different. This is assuming it's the same as a 2JZ, but it probably is.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what its worth. I just changed the front belt on my 1J. The serpentine belt tensioner pulley has a 14mm bolt in the centre, which in my book requires a 14mm ring spanner, not a bloody pair of vice grips.
Shocked

regards Chuck.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish,
do as ChuckLandwehr says & remove the engine drive belt (the one with the tensioner providing tension). Then give each of the pulleys a spin. On mine, the actual tensioner pulley bearing was rooted - this may be all you need (bearing is $7 from a bearing shop). It doesn't take long to do this BEFORE you rush out and buy a water pump.

Regards

Peter
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 13 November 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuck: Where is this 14mm bolt, at the centre of rotation? There is no bolt to be seen on mine except the pulley bolt, the rest of it is blanked off. A 14mm bolt in my book requires the use of a 14mm socket and ratchet Rolling Eyes, not a bloody ring spanner Shocked
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Fri, 14 November 2003 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah man the 14mm bolt is the pulley bolt! perfect for rotating the tensioner out of the way. Ring spanner 6 flat, less chance of slipping off and stuffing the bolt, look at the angle, using a socket and ratchet, I would prefer to use a ring spanner any day. The bearings for the pulleys are as cheap as chips, good option doing them while you have access.

regards Chuck.

BTW I did my apprenticeship way back in 1960's, but hey I am willing to learn new tricks any day.(you can call me a Fossill if you wish)
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Fri, 14 November 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will have to try moving it with the pulley bolt next time, altough my clamp type vice grip method was quite effective.
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Sun, 16 November 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've 'converted' a 1jz water pump
yes the timing belt has to come off
yes the water pump pulleys are different (bolt pattern and centre hole size)
and from what i can remember, the rear half needed to be changeed aswell
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 18 November 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so Rush imports sell's 1JZ water pumps for $175 delivered. I've read on here that some guys can get theirs for $120, Im after non hydro, and front and rear parts with a pulley too. Who knows where to get the cheapest?

Thanks.
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 18 November 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEHEHE Go skip u work at wreckors lol so u try what 82mkii said whith making sure its the water pump before running out and getting it? If the guy didnt remove the belt and just dart board diagnoised it is ok if u have lots of money and time make sure mate Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 18 November 2003 11:37]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 18 November 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did that last post have anything to do with me, or was the word "skip" just used, cause i dont get it? Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 18 November 2003 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can get parts at trade prices, a JZ non-hydro pump will set you back around $130.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 18 November 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gezzzus its less hassle to replace a head gasket on a 7m :PPPPPP
1jdavo
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Wed, 19 November 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz ots a tuffi most i can say is u hav 2 option find a 2hand p/s & w/pump or by from castle hill toyota (me too) 2 orings water pump and pulley.ps i had thermos fans and switch( did do belt and seals) hey its ez
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Wed, 19 November 2003 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So when are you planning to release the English version of your post?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Wed, 19 November 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeez norbie. Get with the times.

Use the babelfish, Hood-lingo to english converter.

find it at www.ihavenoclue.com
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Wed, 19 November 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right, I'm not hip any more. Is there anyone hip enough to decipher the above? Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Thu, 20 November 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put the post into babelfish hood-lingo to english and this came out:

"It's a tough predicament you have got yourself into. From my experience you have 2 options. The first is to search for a secondhand Power Steering and Water Pump, this can be done by calling wreckers or searching through the trading post. The second is to buy a brand new unit from the fantastic people at Castle Hill Toyota like I have done. The new unit will consist of 2 O type sealing rings, water pump and pulley.

P.S. I have thermatic fans and thermatic switch to operate them. At the same time I replaced my water pump, I also put a new belt on and replaced the seals. It is an ezy job, get to it you mofo."

Sorry 1jdavo Very Happy
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 25 November 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I just went and bought a new 1JZ-GTE water pump without the hydro. It was $185 locally. All I need now is the a good condition pulley with the rubber seal still in it second hand from someone somewhere!
1jdavo
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 25 November 2003 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for your sympathy guys. so i ll try again. castle hill toyota is where i purchased my waterpump (includes a rear housing and gaskets/o rings ) u will also need the two o rings on the pipe between the waterpump and top housing. the pulley was dear new, but if your lucky you ll find a 2nd hand one. get a couple of 14 inch fans and ur set. having said all that you could purchase a rebuild kit for your waterpump.it would be cheaper for parts but labour is the same. hope i help
1jdavo
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: 1JZ Water Pump Again Tue, 25 November 2003 08:50 Go to previous message
pete i think id like to race u some time buddy.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3g-gte injecters????
Next Topic:Changing KE20 Stud pattern
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:12:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067760944366455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.